Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jun 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2233390)   #1
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
V8SC and AFL ratings down this year...

It's not just V8SCs that have seen a ratings slide this year. It seems that AFL ratings have also nosedived. So what would people put the collective drop down to? Ch7's (relatively boring) coverage perhaps?
Old 20 Jun 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2233432)   #2
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For me [I'm a sports car tragic], improved live streams of overseas stuff - ALMS, LMS, LM24, mean that the supertaxi's now seem a bit on the boring side. For the casual observer, the cars all look the same. If it were not for the holden/ford logo's on the w'screens most people can't tell the difference. Drivers swapping teams on a regular basis make it harder to keep track of who is driving for Ford or Holden. Less passing opportunity's. Ch 7's coverage needs less ads [that ain't gonna happen] and somebody in commentary with an ability to tell it like it is [Dick Johnson] Don't know enough about AFL to comment, I'm a poor long suffering Eels supporter in the NRL.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 23:59 (Ref:2234417)   #3
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PORSCHE917[22]
somebody in commentary with an ability to tell it like it is [Dick Johnson]
I wouldn't think that Dick would be too popular a choice for commentary by the host broadcaster right now. In the last week, it has been stated by three diferent people I know that his name is the only thing keeping him a free man right now. Whether that is true or not, I don't know, but if ASIC are sniffing around, TV won't want him.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 13:22 (Ref:2233441)   #4
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would put it down to both the tv packages being ****e, and also the product. As you can tell, I don't care for either of them.

Mick
Old 20 Jun 2008, 14:02 (Ref:2233466)   #5
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
even the Wallabies game last weekend was out rated by Richy Rich the movie i read somewhere. would like to see the NRL ratings. PORSCHE917[22] atleast you guys are doing better then my boys (the Bulldogs) this year but atleast we only have to remember back to 04.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 14:07 (Ref:2233468)   #6
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Something I forgot to mention was the hypocrisy (sp) of Ch7, they NEED to broadcast the Sunday arvo game live (and sometimes at the expense of another sport running it's full course), but feel free to delay the Friday night game to fit in some crap programming to go up against a very weak lineup from the other channels.. Why are they (the two games) so different?
@PR, there was a Wallabies game on last weekend? I've really gotta move out of Mexico

Mick
Old 20 Jun 2008, 21:48 (Ref:2233773)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19
Something I forgot to mention was the hypocrisy (sp) of Ch7, they NEED to broadcast the Sunday arvo game live (and sometimes at the expense of another sport running it's full course), but feel free to delay the Friday night game to fit in some crap programming to go up against a very weak lineup from the other channels.. Why are they (the two games) so different?

Mick

its rare that the sunday game is live, usally delayed by a quarter
Old 20 Jun 2008, 23:38 (Ref:2233816)   #8
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
7s AFL coverage

Hope you guys dont think the AFL coverage you receive applies across the country - most capital cities coverage (games/times) are different.

Interesting that some of us still want to blame 7 for the V8 program !!!
Old 22 Jun 2008, 03:01 (Ref:2234455)   #9
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
even the Wallabies game last weekend was out rated by Richy Rich the movie i read somewhere. would like to see the NRL ratings. PORSCHE917[22] at least you guys are doing better then my boys (the Bulldogs) this year but at least we only have to remember back to 04.
Last year or the year before an episode of the new Doctor Who series out-rated a Wallabies/All Blacks clash. Out rating Rugby Union is not a noteworthy achievement.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2233558)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
It's not just V8SCs that have seen a ratings slide this year. It seems that AFL ratings have also nosedived. So what would people put the collective drop down to? Ch7's (relatively boring) coverage perhaps?
Channel 7 can't be blamed for the 'boring' V8 coverage, they don't do it.

Similiarly some of the Sunday AFL games that 7 show (particularly the one's after the early V8 finishes) are the FOX Sports coverage.
Old 21 Jun 2008, 00:40 (Ref:2233820)   #11
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The V8's have been against AFL coverage more this season. Hence, lower ratings for that.

The other issue for 7, is the CRAP coverage they give the Sunday arvo game in Melbourne. Hence, people will avoid the 7 coverage then.

But further to all there, people are watching less TV in general now compared to 5 years ago.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 20:47 (Ref:2236079)   #12
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksie
But further to all there, people are watching less TV in general now compared to 5 years ago.
You can all get off your high horses now. Banksie knows the real reason.

And with penetration of broadband, TV ratings are only going to get worse.

What V8SC need to do is get the coverage on the net. Soon! (and not just for BigPuddle subscribers...)
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 23 Jun 2008, 21:52 (Ref:2236156)   #13
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who pays the piper ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter
You can all get off your high horses now. Banksie knows the real reason.

And with penetration of broadband, TV ratings are only going to get worse.

What V8SC need to do is get the coverage on the net. Soon! (and not just for BigPuddle subscribers...)

Who pays ..... 7 paid, Big Pond paid ..... no pay, no way !!!
Old 21 Jun 2008, 05:44 (Ref:2233853)   #14
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Your point only has merit if Channel 10's AFL coverage has not gone down as well. If it has then its just the people are watching less televised sport across the board.

So where are Channel 10's AFL ratings?
Old 21 Jun 2008, 09:17 (Ref:2233931)   #15
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AFL on channel ten is still better than C7 and it's shared airing with Foxhell. As for motor sport, yer 10 has slipped a little, but seven would be the worst. As a follower of Footy and motorsport C7 would have to be the worst. I lived thru sevens vain attempt years ago of telecasting, sad to say, thay haven't learnt a thing. Sam was right, footy on seven is going backwards. Same for motorsport
Old 22 Jun 2008, 03:08 (Ref:2234456)   #16
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco
AFL on channel ten is still better than C7 and it's shared airing with Foxhell. As for motor sport, yer 10 has slipped a little, but seven would be the worst. As a follower of Footy and motorsport C7 would have to be the worst. I lived thru sevens vain attempt years ago of telecasting, sad to say, thay haven't learnt a thing. Sam was right, footy on seven is going backwards. Same for motorsport
If that was a reply to my post above, I was referring specifically to ratings rather than quality of the show.
Old 22 Jun 2008, 06:28 (Ref:2234469)   #17
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
If that was a reply to my post above, I was referring specifically to ratings rather than quality of the show.
Usally the quaity of the show is poor than the ratings wll be poor

Its been a shambles this year HOWEVER I also thing V8 needs to shake things up if they are going to buck the trend
Old 23 Jun 2008, 08:55 (Ref:2235487)   #18
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
No Falc, just expanding on you train of thought. I look at the quality of a show, broadcast. If it is poor quality, then the ratings will be down.

like most things, quality is like buying oats, If you want good clean fresh oats, you pay a fair price, if you want oats that have been through the horse, they come cheaper. So if you package a product poorly, it will not attract the viewers. hence low ratings

cheers
Old 21 Jun 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2233941)   #19
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How is motorsport on 7 going backwards if they are dedicating more hours to it than before (in terms of touring car racing)
Old 22 Jun 2008, 07:44 (Ref:2234489)   #20
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
How is motorsport on 7 going backwards if they are dedicating more hours to it than before (in terms of touring car racing)
The support races are not exactly... err exciting.

Cast your mind back to Ch10's coverage... the V8SCs were a dedicated TV session with little to none of the boring FF and other support races being shown.

Your point about Ch7 not showing 'it' is a irrelevant as it's the format that is decidedly different to Ch10's. And I do agree that Ch10's coverage of the football is better than Ch7's effort.

Having said that, I'm not blaming the TV stations, per say, I'm only asking if the coverage is partly to blame, not pointing the finger.

Are we just a constantly evolving society that nothing seems to last forever... not even if the concept is great initially?
Old 22 Jun 2008, 08:31 (Ref:2234511)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:

Cast your mind back to Ch10's coverage... the V8SCs were a dedicated TV session with little to none of the boring FF and other support races being shown.
Are you advocating the support races shouldn't be shown? On the Monday at Sandown you got to watch 4 races, would you have rathered only seen 2?

Not showing the support races was a negative of Ten's coverage in my opinion.

The coverage including the support races has gone full circle, prior to Channel 10 the support races got shown, in the 80s they got shown live!
Old 24 Jun 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2236519)   #22
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If you dont find the supports exciting, what could you possibly think of the v8 races?
Old 24 Jun 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2236534)   #23
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Exactly, get rid of the support races. How many people would be watching Race 2 on a Sunday and rather than sitting through the support race walk away and get sidetracked / find something else to do and forget to come back for Race 3 ?

The coverage is too long and there's too much non V8 related material. On V8 race weekends they should only show the V8s, and delay the supports a week later like 10 used to.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2236650)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot
The coverage is too long and there's too much non V8 related material. On V8 race weekends they should only show the V8s, and delay the supports a week later like 10 used to.
Am i reading right, too much motorsport on TV?
Old 24 Jun 2008, 21:38 (Ref:2236855)   #25
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Am i reading right, too much motorsport on TV?
No, too much of the lower categories interfering with the coverage of the main game which is what a majority of casual viewers want to watch. Hence the drop in ratings.

Guy watches Race 2 on Sunday then gets up and goes and does something else and then his Missus sees him and starts nagging to do something around the house, play with the kids and then he can't get back to Race 3 or he forgets.

Two things can be learned from this, don't ever get married and have kids and Channel 7 need to shorten the coverage on V8 weekends.