Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jul 2008, 08:49 (Ref:2253769)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Button and Barrichello confirmed at Honda ?

ITV says both drivers confirmed for next season,but the actual article is a little bit vague.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=43373
Old 19 Jul 2008, 10:09 (Ref:2253803)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Great news if it's true. They're a strong pairing, and have been wasted in recent years. Maybe they'll be rewarded for their persistence with a competitive Honda for '09.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2253809)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh I agree, good news. Congratulations to the two if this is true.

Selby
Old 19 Jul 2008, 11:04 (Ref:2253820)   #4
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Brawn has a point, first you need to build a car, then you can look for some top guys (or maybe it will turn out that you already have'em, they were just underachieving because the car was such a dog)

Right now they could sign Nando for an awful lot of cash with a contract full of clauses to ensure Nando can leave the team even if he finds the wheather a bit chilly. If they make a BMW-like improvement, that will attract a few top-guns for reasonable prices and they can sign proper contracts with them.

(Or maybe Brawn just wants to keep Rubens motivated as the team didnt book a return flight for him from Sao-Paolo )
Old 19 Jul 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2253850)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
As I mentioned in silly season thread (sorry I missed this one!!) i'm sure I just heard Fry saying on ITV that they still haven't decided on the line up because of discussions going on?

Anyone else hear that?
Old 19 Jul 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2253873)   #6
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, it makes me think that they are pursuing Alonso.

Are both BMW drivers confirmed for next year? If so, that leaves Toyota, Williams and Honda as realistic options for Fernando.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 13:58 (Ref:2253903)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And Renault ?
Old 19 Jul 2008, 14:25 (Ref:2253917)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes. I meant alternative options.

If he goes to Honda, you would think it would be for the long-term because I don't see them stunning us next year.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 14:28 (Ref:2253918)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Exactly, but the point is that he would leave Renault if they don't improve so why he would go to Honda and literally take steps down ?
Old 19 Jul 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2253922)   #10
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I suppose it would be with the view that Honda will make a success of it in the long-term. That's the thing- if he joins Honda, I guess it will mean he's not expecting to be offered a Ferrari drive anytime soon, because otherwise he may as well stay at Renault for a year.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2253947)   #11
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I think Barrichello has gone some way to ensuring his argument for retention is solid, with three points finishes. Button? There might be more from him in the latter stages but as there is an unfathomable love shared between the Brackley boy and his team, I don't suppose they'll kick him out for anyone.

Alonso won't join the team for 2009. That's my guess.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2253953)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
I suppose it would be with the view that Honda will make a success of it in the long-term. That's the thing- if he joins Honda, I guess it will mean he's not expecting to be offered a Ferrari drive anytime soon, because otherwise he may as well stay at Renault for a year.
Yes, that' for sure, but in the same basis, staying with Renault it's a better option. If one can succeed in the long term, Renault has a better profile than Honda. So I can only think of him joining Honda for more money.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2253952)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe Button could go back to Williams?
Old 19 Jul 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2253963)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it's reward for both drivers have to put up with two wasted years in completely uncompetitive equipment.

The heady days of 2005 / 06 are long gone for Honda at the moment.

If they don't improve in 2009 when all the new regulations come in, I wonder how long they would seriously keep at it...
Old 19 Jul 2008, 18:12 (Ref:2254013)   #15
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
The heady days of 2005 / 06 are long gone for Honda at the moment.
2004 was their undoubted highpoint though. Other than Button's victory in Hungary, they've had a pretty barren time since them.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2254006)   #16
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport is contradicting this report.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 18:53 (Ref:2254029)   #17
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally if i were Honda, i'd stick with them both. Reliable and fast when given the machinery. The continuity would help also.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 19 Jul 2008, 19:17 (Ref:2254045)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It was still BAR (or B.A.R - whichever it was by then) in 2004, though, wasn't it?

Over the next 5 years, I think I would be tempted to put my money on Honda over Renault.

I would think, though, Alonso may be tempted to do another year at Renault: it lets him see how Honda seem to be getting on whilst also seeing if something pops up at Ferrari.

I suspect Jenson won't be going anywhere. Ross likes Rubens, and knows how to keep him in good enough shape, so it would make sense to keep him tagged on if Alonso stays put.

Last edited by Dutton; 19 Jul 2008 at 19:21.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 23:24 (Ref:2254161)   #19
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It's hard not to like Rubens.. It's about the kit..Give them the car and they will deliver... Yes!
Old 20 Jul 2008, 02:29 (Ref:2254204)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Rubens told the TV that there's nothing signed yet. "We're still talking, I didn't know about this news. There's nothing confirmed, but I would like to stay. I like the team and I feel I'm faster than ever and experienced enough, and that helps."
Old 22 Oct 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2318600)   #21
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I think Rubens merits the seat beyond this year. He's probably got the edge on Button at the moment for one thing, with notably a strong performance in the last race. Your thoughts?
Old 22 Oct 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2318612)   #22
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
I think Rubens merits the seat beyond this year. He's probably got the edge on Button at the moment for one thing, with notably a strong performance in the last race. Your thoughts?
I'm inclined to agree; however, I suspect that Honda could well be tempted to run Bruno Senna in Barrichello's place.
Old 22 Oct 2008, 22:07 (Ref:2318628)   #23
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Runing Senna in 2009 would be a mistake.
Give Barrichello a years extension and if Bruno is your choice give him a testing contract plus support for year in GP2 or WSR to keep him up race fitness.
Check him out in that time and you'll know if he's good enough by 2010.
If not then you'll have better options.
Old 22 Oct 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2318632)   #24
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it all still depends on ALonso"s Choice
Old 22 Oct 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2318639)   #25
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I cannot see Alonso at Honda in 2009. They are simply not competitive enough.