Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 28 Sep 2008, 14:49 (Ref:2299538)   #1
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
The End of an Era

Those of us who were at Oulton Park yesterday witnessed a somewhat sad occasion - a presentation to Dick Fraser to mark his retirement from marshalling.

The many of us who had the pleasure of working with Dick will know how much experience, knowledge & , above all, wisdom he shared with us.

He will be missed...
Old 28 Sep 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2299650)   #2
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Those of us who were at Oulton Park yesterday witnessed a somewhat sad occasion - a presentation to Dick Fraser to mark his retirement from marshalling.

The many of us who had the pleasure of working with Dick will know how much experience, knowledge & , above all, wisdom he shared with us.

He will be missed...
Totally agree with you Dave. Dick is a fountain of knowledge when it comes to marshalling. He will be sadly missed from the bank.
Old 28 Sep 2008, 21:24 (Ref:2299849)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One of my earliest Observers when I first started marshalling. A fine man, a wise head and a very good teacher. Sad to hear of his retirement. Dick, you'll be very much missed.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 09:13 (Ref:2300131)   #4
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to say farewell to Dick. He is a true gent and I shall miss chatting to him.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2300257)   #5
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I too am very sorry to have missed this opportunity to pay tribute to Dick. Always a source of balance and common sense.

Jim
Old 29 Sep 2008, 13:33 (Ref:2300354)   #6
snatchman
Rookie

snatchman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear of Dicks retirement i wish i could have been there to say goodbye. I have fond memories of marshalling with Dick he would always say well done for a job well done or if the cars were still out he would clap you.He would always try and answer any questions or give you advice enjoy yor retirement Dick.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 14:40 (Ref:2300391)   #7
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too would like to wish Dick a long and happy retirement.
Old 29 Sep 2008, 14:41 (Ref:2300392)   #8
JEP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Nottingham
JEP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enjoy your retirement Dick, I learnt a lot working with you and no one could fail to pick up something for use in the future. There are few people who have given so much to Marshalling over such a long period. Good luck.

JEP
Old 29 Sep 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2300467)   #9
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dick must have been around a while as his signature frequently appeared on my Grading Cards back in the early 1980s. One of the school of gentlemen.

Always enjoyed his sensible and level headed approach to situations and the way he managed the post. Many of our current Post Chiefs could learn much from him about using the Indians in the correct manner.

Greatest respect. Enjoy your "Stand Down".

David Morgan
Old 29 Sep 2008, 18:15 (Ref:2300549)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flagman
Dick must have been around a while as his signature frequently appeared on my Grading Cards back in the early 1980s.
If I remember correctly, he said he'd done over fifty years' marshalling!
Old 30 Sep 2008, 10:47 (Ref:2301011)   #11
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dick was involved a great deal in training me to become an observer, many years ago, and we struck up a great relationship on circuits all around the country for a long while afterwards. He will certainly be missed, especially by the silver tops!
May he have a long and happy retirement.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 14:20 (Ref:2301158)   #12
Pensioner
Rookie

Wales
Close to Mallory
Pensioner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said Dave. I first met Dick in 1969 and he was Observing then. All those years and until recently he still came to training days - to learn. What he could learn I'm not sure, but he could throw a nice curve ball at the trainers.
A top man without any doubt. He will certainly be missed. He is not in the best of health but I hope he will manage to get to the odd meeting just for a chat.
Old 30 Sep 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2301283)   #13
Aardvaark
Rookie

England
Timperley, Altrincham
Aardvaark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshalling with Dick was always a true pleasure and always a huge learning curve - when you realised how much he knows and how much there is to learn.
Old 3 Oct 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2303633)   #14
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dick was the only Observer who ever wrote a comment on my flag grading card (early 90's) - and it was a nice one!!

We haven't seen him for a while and this probably explains why.

He doesn't live too far away from us, so if we get an address, we could pass on nice comments to him (assuming he is not 10/10ths savvy).

Shelagh & Bill
Old 3 Oct 2008, 21:09 (Ref:2303699)   #15
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Eric Ridler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is sometime since I spoke to Dick and was quite despondent that he wasn't able to cope with standing in an Observers box any longer. I suggested he became a judge, which meant at least he was still part of the group and able to meet his friends and that is where he has been the last couple of years.

I am saddened that he is no longer around to offer his friendly advice and comment. He is the only person I know who could hold your hand and calm your nerves all from other the end of a telephone line. He was my mentor on many occasions in my early years as an observer at Donington and Mallory.
Best wishes old friend enjoy your retirement.

Eric Ridler
Old 3 Oct 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2303713)   #16
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sometimes something happens, which you weren't aware of before, but were there for and so duly joined-in with the applause. It was only when I realised just who we were applauding that I realised just what British Motorsport and Marshalling were losing.

Dick Fraser (IMHO) is not only one of my guiding lights as a rookie marshal from way back, but also the epitome of the perfect Observer. Not only would he welcome you onto the Post and give you all the briefing you could ever need, he would also make you feel that you deserved to be there, be it as I/O, Flag, Incident or even first-dayer. You never felt that he was "in-his-box" and away from you.

This is probably his greatest legacy;

1st day, Last day or 1000th day................Dick always treated you the same and was always able to pass-on some trinket of information that would be of use to you.

Dick, you will be missed. Enjoy your retirement but please remember, and take credit for, all of us marshals that have grown-up under you and have hopefully become better marshals because of you.
Old 4 Oct 2008, 12:09 (Ref:2303963)   #17
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Eric has just sent me Dick's address (thanks).

I'll leave this a bit longer to give more people chance to post, assuming they wish to, before printing it off and delivering to Dick so he knows how much we all appreciate what he has done for us and how much we will miss him.

Shelagh
Old 6 Oct 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2305274)   #18
allanh
Racer

allanh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dick, you must have many memories of meetings and events over the years. My lasting memory of you is at Mallory one day a few years ago. You were as usual at post seven, we were dealing with an incident at post eight in the middle of the track after the red flag. A car came around at full racing speed and missed us (just). You ran (almost) towards us, asked me to confirm the car number and then marched off to race control to deliver your report in person. It was a picture i will keep in my mind always of you striding up the stairs. I'm sure the driver learn't a lesson that day.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 16:34 (Ref:2305469)   #19
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dick has forgotten more about marshalling than most of us will ever learn.

When you got an upgrading signature from Dick you knew you had earned it, as he did not give them away.

Thanks for all the advice and enjoyment you have given.
Old 6 Oct 2008, 18:13 (Ref:2305525)   #20
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l
When you got an upgrading signature from Dick you knew you had earned it, as he did not give them away.