Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Jul 2008, 07:52 (Ref:2247733)   #1
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic 2008

Very nervous about starting a new thread, but cannot see this year's Classic having been set up in its own right. No doubt someone will tell me if otherwise.

Got some pre-finals through now, and what immediately comes home is that the organisation appears to have stepped up at least by one gear with tough new rules particularly for the paddock area. The Paddock has been the cause of a number of issues in past years, and it will be interesting to see whether the new Goodwood-style regimented rules will work. I hope it will, because this is a key to spectator interest. We will have seen the no doubt expensive TV advertising around the British GP.

It looks promising, with clear instructions, a tented area for HGPCA at least, a seperate area for the big preparers, a no motorhome rule and so on. And in-situ scrutineering.

Also interesting is that most races will be rolling start.

(All we need now is our Abbey curve back........)
Old 9 Jul 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2247742)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like it could be a busy weekend for some then!.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 09:01 (Ref:2249047)   #3
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Help Required!!!!!

I will be attending this years ''Classic'' as a marshal. As mentioned in a previous thread, I am interested in ERA R9B which will be there that weekend. To enable me to further my collection of memoribilia on this car I need to contact Reiner Ott, the current owner, so I can arrange a meeting with him over the weekend. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 16 Jul 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2251898)   #4
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA
I will be attending this years ''Classic'' as a marshal. As mentioned in a previous thread, I am interested in ERA R9B which will be there that weekend. To enable me to further my collection of memoribilia on this car I need to contact Reiner Ott, the current owner, so I can arrange a meeting with him over the weekend. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
There are only 2 ERA's entered at the moment, R4D and R9B, but it has Ian Landy down as the driver, I thought he owned R6B.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 13:46 (Ref:2251298)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jesus, 30 quid to go and watch on a Friday

Do all the extra bits really cost that much Silverstone!!

I see the credit cruch has no effect on the greedy, what a joke!
Old 15 Jul 2008, 15:44 (Ref:2251380)   #6
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably trying to get some money back for losing the GP ..

Pete
Old 15 Jul 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2251411)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, it's been publicised for months; there was plenty of opportunity to buy at prices heavily discounted from the on the day gate price. My 3 day ticket was just over £40. Excellent value.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2251458)   #8
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The entries lists on the Classic site look very tasty

Should be some great racing, just hope summer arrives for the event.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2251606)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
ITs allways a bit of a night mare for me as we are not one of the chosen "top teams " got cars all over the place ,truck miles away, drivers ringing up wanting picking up from the gate, Got to get there Thursday to set up so on and so on. Sorry everyone just having a moan.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 06:47 (Ref:2253740)   #10
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
awseng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
ITs allways a bit of a night mare for me as we are not one of the chosen "top teams " got cars all over the place ,truck miles away, drivers ringing up wanting picking up from the gate, Got to get there Thursday to set up so on and so on. Sorry everyone just having a moan.
boy do I know what you mean!!!!!!!!!!!!! entry forms should have a bit to list who is looking after your car.
(oh I'm Alan, AWS Engineering the miserable looking one so I'm told. ref to outing thread)
Old 16 Jul 2008, 00:36 (Ref:2251660)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont plan that far in advance sorry, my life is a little busy

Thanks for the telling off though, friendly as ever on here!!
Old 16 Jul 2008, 06:21 (Ref:2251745)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So, it's OK for you to moan, but not for me to make a statement of fact. Your whole post suggests that you must be reading a lot of extra words I didn't write! Haven't noted the implied lack of friendliness either; can't win them all, I guess!
Old 16 Jul 2008, 18:20 (Ref:2252092)   #13
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
So, it's OK for you to moan, but not for me to make a statement of fact. Your whole post suggests that you must be reading a lot of extra words I didn't write! Haven't noted the implied lack of friendliness either; can't win them all, I guess!
Sadly not. I wanted to get mine well in advance but didn't have anyone to go with (it'd be a bit disappointing to go alone ), so never did, hence my desperate appeal
Old 16 Jul 2008, 18:18 (Ref:2252090)   #14
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello guys and girls...

wondering if anyone needs any extra help over the weekend? I'm too poor to pay entry, and desperately want to be there. I'm happy to pay my way by photos (www.flickr.com/jymp is my portfolio) or just hard work. I'm enthusiastic and happy to do just about anything to get there.

PM me please? I'd be grateful forever and a day
Old 22 Jul 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2256046)   #15
Racesport
Rookie

Italy
Milano, Itlay
Racesport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Hello guys and girls...

wondering if anyone needs any extra help over the weekend? I'm too poor to pay entry, and desperately want to be there. I'm happy to pay my way by photos (www.flickr.com/jymp is my portfolio) or just hard work. I'm enthusiastic and happy to do just about anything to get there.

PM me please? I'd be grateful forever and a day
Hi, I will be racing my Wainer Formula Junior (Race n. 46) and I would have some more pass for friends.
If you will be in the paddock on thursday afternoon I could give you one for all the weekend for free.
Carlo
Old 16 Jul 2008, 20:14 (Ref:2252157)   #16
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm there, as usual, in the Gentleman Drivers race, in my SZ, probably near the back of the grid.

Am also on the entry list for the Road Sports race, but as 9th reserve, I suspect I have less chance of racing in that than a one-legged cat trying to bury a t*rd on a frozen lake!
James

P.S. I notice in my entry pack, received today, that the circuit layout is described as 'Historic GP '08'!!
Old 16 Jul 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2252191)   #17
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZRacer
I'm there, as usual, in the Gentleman Drivers race, in my SZ, probably near the back of the grid.

Am also on the entry list for the Road Sports race, but as 9th reserve, I suspect I have less chance of racing in that than a one-legged cat trying to bury a t*rd on a frozen lake!
James

P.S. I notice in my entry pack, received today, that the circuit layout is described as 'Historic GP '08'!!
If the ''Historic'' layout is as the GP weekend, then you use the Club historic link but NOT the Abbey link, instead you use the normal left/right through to Farm.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 06:22 (Ref:2252418)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Decided to do Festival with what's left over from LMC.Staying in the sun if your weather doesn't improve and letting boys get on with it.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 07:00 (Ref:2252436)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Come on John, the weather has been a whole lot better so far than last year. It will be great to see your cars; better still if you are with them!
Old 17 Jul 2008, 07:09 (Ref:2252440)   #20
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It's a Talbot and Riley.Decided not to take Alta that has won 500 three times in last 5 years and let Patch and Peter Neumark fight it out with FN and Monza.
904 may be ready if we can find gearbox that works but unlikely

GB sharing Lola with Geoff Lister in Masters on Sat evening
Old 17 Jul 2008, 16:28 (Ref:2252735)   #21
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Glad to hear Choc Drop is working after all...
Neil was almost in tears Sunday night.

Hope all goes well for the 904, it looks to be an excellent car.
Old 17 Jul 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2252929)   #22
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
I can understand the problems you guys are having with your finals, but us guys/gals in orange it's very bizarre concerning our sign-on too.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2256215)   #23
PBE
Rookie

PBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
It's a Talbot and Riley.Decided not to take Alta that has won 500 three times in last 5 years and let Patch and Peter Neumark fight it out with FN and Monza.
904 may be ready if we can find gearbox that works but unlikely

GB sharing Lola with Geoff Lister in Masters on Sat evening
John - we'll miss you this year - the weather is going to be fabulous....get on a plane! I have been dumped from the drive in Charlie Gilletts Nash in this years BRDC 500 as he thought just because my wife is due next Wednesday I wouldn't be there! We have been working like dogs to get the Ex Fane Frazer Nash BMW 328 ready in time with it's newly rebuilt engine. We should be testing on Thursday so if it works OK we may well have a three way battle. Martin Stretton is driving with me so if it hangs together there is a chance of a podium....
Old 17 Jul 2008, 16:17 (Ref:2252727)   #24
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Zola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the GP parking was bad but the pack i've just received looks just as bad....
Old 17 Jul 2008, 16:19 (Ref:2252729)   #25
Zola
Racer

United Kingdom
Zola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where are we supposed to work from if we aren't allowed the vehicles we bring them in by us!! I know there are hell alot of cars racing and tight squeeze and all that... I am also bringing the BMW for David Leslies memorial tribute...