Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 26 Feb 2009, 11:29 (Ref:2404478)   #1
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fireproof Underwear

Hi all. I've had a good look through previous threads but can't seem to find a straightforward answer-is fireproof underwear a good idea or a waste of money (I'm talking from a trackside marshal's point of view-I can see the need for pitlane marshals where refueling is taking place)?
Old 26 Feb 2009, 11:34 (Ref:2404487)   #2
zakeriath
Racer

Wales
Swansea
zakeriath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was always told that as a marshal, if you ever needed fire proof underware, your far too close.

Remember the fire truck should not take longer than 45 secs.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 11:36 (Ref:2404491)   #3
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If fire got through your probans and what you are wearing beneath them, then you are already badly burnt. You really shouldn't be getting anything like that close to fire.
If you where that concerned, you'd be better off investing in a fire-proof suit of some sort, to protect your whole body, but to repeat what I said above, you shouldn't be getting close enough to fire to need it.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2404508)   #4
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Just a Personal view..A waste of money like all have said you shouldn't be getting close to the fire to need this sort of thing.....
Old 26 Feb 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2404555)   #5
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't wear anything made of man-made fibers under your probans, especially not your shell suit!
Old 25 May 2009, 14:11 (Ref:2468775)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1400 View Post
Don't wear anything made of man-made fibers under your probans, especially not your shell suit!
Bit of a snag there. Nomex is man-made; indeed it is a form of Nylon.

The real answer as people have said is: Runaway!

Regards

Jim
Old 26 Feb 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2404589)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Depends on what you're thinking of wearing them for. They're designed for more than just fire retardancy.

They're comfortable, they seem to help with cooling/sweat dispersal on a hot day and retention of heat on a cold day, you know they're made of something that won't melt if you're unlucky enough to be attending something that goes up subsequently, and since you're only using them for marshalling you can keep them with your gear and not have to think what to wear under the probans or worrying about them getting grubby. They also tend to be good quality and so last a long time. That's basically why I wear them. I've had them so long and washed them so often I very much doubt that there's any retardency left in them anyway.

If you think you need them for protection from fire then you're probably not firefighting correctly. In 20-odd years of marshalling, I've only seen one incident where you might have thought the marshal might have benefitted from them and even then they weren't necessary.

So a waste of money? No, I think mine have been extremely good value. necessary or even advisable as a safety garment? No.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 14:19 (Ref:2404639)   #8
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I agree with Woolley. I wear the flame-retardant (not fireproof) kit because I find it comfortable (and no more expensive than some people might pay for a T-shirt & jeans), and there's just a glimmer of a thought that if a fire starts when I'm at an incident the undies might give me a fraction of a second more to get away without injury.

The drawback is the need to change, as opposed to just removing the Probans, before going to the pub after a meeting!
Old 26 Feb 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2404689)   #9
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree with wooley . i have always warn fire retardant underware as it keeps you warm in the winter and is better than wearing normal ones . i still wear them even when i am on rescue
Old 26 Feb 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2404762)   #10
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also agree with woolley I wear mine because I find them comfortable.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 17:47 (Ref:2404770)   #11
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks guys-seems to split people down the middle with this one! I think it maybe something I invest in later on (only been marshalling 6 months) when my job is a bit more secure (another story). And in the meantime-stay away from fires
Old 26 Feb 2009, 18:11 (Ref:2404786)   #12
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I asked this some time ago and finally made the decision to buy some of the nomex kit that drivers use. A bit pricy but I definitely like it. It's warm, has a high collar, long sleeves and as for fireproofing it's like what the Clarkson says about waterproof watches - if you're thirty metres below the surface you're not going to care if your watch leaks - but it's a buzz to know it won't.

Arguably, none of us need probies, ordinary overalls would do, indeed ordinary kit would do, perhaps with a tabard for safety. The reality is that for many it's a uniform that binds us together - a team thing - and if you think that Sparco or Nomex writ wide across your chest is better than M&S or Reduced To Clear then that's fine either way.

As for fire retardancy, wool and cotton is cheap and more than enough for our purposes. Warm and dry is more important.

Funny, but this fire-discussion is always about underwear and yet many marshals (myself included) will buy a fleecy hat made of polyester mix and not think twice about it. We obviously value our catangers more than our hair.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 18:49 (Ref:2404808)   #13
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix
We obviously value our catangers more than our hair.
you can recrow your hair but you cant recrow catangers
Old 26 Feb 2009, 19:31 (Ref:2404846)   #14
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix
I We obviously value our catangers more than our hair.
Think a light breeze would put out what little hair I have
Old 26 Feb 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2404851)   #15
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just looked at one of the beanies i wear at the track 100% acrylic, not going to wear that again. Okay then t-shirt 100% cotton, Denim jeans, y-fronts are 100% cotton and socks are 80% cotton 20% polyester but are in my rigger boots. dont usually wear a jumper under my probans. Cant wear wool as I am allergic to it
Old 26 Feb 2009, 20:50 (Ref:2404900)   #16
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland
y-fronts are 100% cotton and socks are 80% cotton 20% polyester
Alan you ever heard of too much info i now have a mental image i didnt want!!!!!
Old 27 Feb 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2405253)   #17
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsportgirli
Alan you ever heard of too much info i now have a mental image i didnt want!!!!!
In that case, you probably don't want to know what underwear I wear, either
Old 1 Mar 2009, 15:42 (Ref:2406692)   #18
TerryD
Racer

United Kingdom
Suffolk
TerryD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was a Fireman in London for 23yrs and never had to wear fire-proof undies! There are a lot of other bits that burn before it gets to your underwear.Running is always a good way of not burning?????
Old 26 Feb 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2404913)   #19
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what sara, you thinking nawty thoughts :-) better come up to my van at the hill lolol
Old 26 Feb 2009, 21:40 (Ref:2404919)   #20
cowchap
Racer

England
sussex
cowchap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wouldnt have thought the hi-vis waterproofs we all wear on those rare rainy days are overly fireproof
Old 27 Feb 2009, 09:26 (Ref:2405212)   #21
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowchap
wouldnt have thought the hi-vis waterproofs we all wear on those rare rainy days are overly fireproof
you could always invest in these

http://www.nascoinc.com/petrowear/petrolite.htm

$260 of those American dollars

I found it when I was looking for a Hi Viz 48" waterproof coat like the American cops wear.
ie these

http://www.nascoinc.com/policewear.htm
or
http://www.nascoinc.com/policewear/PoliceWear80.pdf

edited to add - seems even these are flash flame proof.
It's always such a faff getting waterproof overtrousers on. Seriously, anybody know of anywhere in Europe that does Hi Viz coats?

Anyway back to topic - Ebay can be your friend for posh undies. I have Sparco nomex gear, but it's not FIA homologated - therefore much much cheaper.

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 27 Feb 2009 at 09:31.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 00:24 (Ref:2405020)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember going to a sprint once and seeing one marshal turn up in full sou-wester. I had the cruel thought that 'I hope there's a fire, I want to see him shrink-wrapped'!
Old 27 Feb 2009, 00:45 (Ref:2405032)   #23
Frailloop
Rookie

Frailloop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My fireproof underwear came from ebay - surplus USAF pilot issue, and cheaper than race type. Seem reasonable quality, but I never plan to get close enough to a fire to find out.

As said before they help keep the frostbite out when it keeps chilly. That'll do for now!
Old 27 Feb 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2405180)   #24
Micky.H
Racer

England
A Little Town In East Yorks
Micky.H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't be without mine, comfortable to wear (no bulky cuffs or folding the bottom of trousers around), cool in summer, warm in winter. Yes pricey as an initial buy but last ages - search around for deals though, i found a 'Rally' shop in Wales to be about £10 cheaper per item than the usual Demon Tweeks type shop.
Old 25 May 2009, 10:39 (Ref:2468676)   #25
sputnik421
Racer

United Kingdom
Chichester W. Sussex
sputnik421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got nomex underwear and carbonX t shirt from ebay. Look up this seller racesuits4u this is AWS's ebay shop. You maybe lucky enough to find a racer who is selling their undies on there, as I did with one of my purcheses.