Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 15 Apr 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2441122)   #1
xcmike
Rookie

Hong Kong
Melbourne, Australia
xcmike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Palmer Audi?

Hi guys I'm new here

Just a question out of curiousity...
I don't see many people talking about formula palmer audi when almost all other single seater series have a thread about them...
what's wrong with FPA? I even read about someone saying "FPA is stupid and FPA is for dummies"

IMHO it's a very cost-effective championship and cheaper than other championships like F3 and good racing? I never have a chance to watch it though...

sons of ex-F1 racers did FPA.. like Alex Brundle and Joylon Palmer.. and Jack Clarke (his step father is Julian Bailey)

so why is FPA stupid?
Old 15 Apr 2009, 09:41 (Ref:2441166)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2009 season hasnt started yet...

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...la+palmer+audi
Old 15 Apr 2009, 09:54 (Ref:2441181)   #3
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
xcmike you'll find threads on FPA if you search.

The fact is it's an "unfashionable" series and as you may know motor sport is ridden with snobbery on the part of managers when it comes to where to place their young hot shot.

Like professional boxing, it's who you avoid on your way up the greasy pole to that big box office fight; The higher the cost of the series the less likely you are to meet raw talent. Hence well funded drivers these days start in Formula Renault or even Formula 3...

It is however a commendable idea. The cars are fast, move around a lot compared to other formulae and being a tad heavy the braking area is longer and overtaking is possible.

Formula 2 follows a similar theme. Just wait for the "knockers" to line up and rubbish it, but I bet it will be great to watch.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2442408)   #4
xcmike
Rookie

Hong Kong
Melbourne, Australia
xcmike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post

The fact is it's an "unfashionable" series and as you may know motor sport is ridden with snobbery on the part of managers when it comes to where to place their young hot shot.

Like professional boxing, it's who you avoid on your way up the greasy pole to that big box office fight; The higher the cost of the series the less likely you are to meet raw talent. Hence well funded drivers these days start in Formula Renault or even Formula 3...

It is however a commendable idea. The cars are fast, move around a lot compared to other formulae and being a tad heavy the braking area is longer and overtaking is possible.

Formula 2 follows a similar theme. Just wait for the "knockers" to line up and rubbish it, but I bet it will be great to watch.
i see.. now i understand it
and makes sense actually...
if you're gonna race, race something that you're gonna win. like doing british F3 with carlin or double R. instead of identical cars which when you didn't win means you're really beaten by another driver.
but i still admire the idea.

thanks for the information guys!

back the FPA
yeh, the first round will be brands hatch with A1GP
and sometime later they'll replace the donington round.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 21:32 (Ref:2442568)   #5
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post

The cars move around a lot because they are aged, outdated chassis that, despite their big slicks, provide very little grip compared with FR, F3 etc. Even the motorcycle engined F Jedis have more grip than FPA.

The only reason they put in respectable times is because they have MUCH more power than the other junior single seater series.

No single seater racer with any ambition would go for FPA because they will learn nothing of any use for later. It might be less expensive than FR but you're still going to have to do FR after FPA to learn about modern single seaters. May as well do BARC FR which would cost less than FPA, albeit for less races.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 05:43 (Ref:2442744)   #6
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know how much track time they provide, because you've got a lot of testing in F.Renault and that's the reason it's expensive.
Actually, do they replace these chassis? It's a loooong time...
Old 15 Apr 2009, 16:32 (Ref:2441528)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Season was supposed to start this weekend at Donington-but meeting has been moved to Silverstone-according to schedule in Motorsport News-a one day event Sunday- no FPA.
This is getting weird.Could not understand why MSV were running a meeting at a non MSV circuit then they relocate it to another rival circuit-and cancel their own championship round?
Looks like FPA starts as support to A1GP at Brands May 3.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 09:45 (Ref:2442885)   #8
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hehe, don't think so, you can test on their testing facility at Bedford Autodrome for extra quids. But word is, they still do not have full grid, and they're no-where near full grid.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 14:34 (Ref:2443085)   #9
ThaRobster
Rookie

ThaRobster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
Hehe, don't think so, you can test on their testing facility at Bedford Autodrome for extra quids. But word is, they still do not have full grid, and they're no-where near full grid.
The Formula Palmer Website seems to suggest different:

http://www.formulapalmeraudi.com/

Apparently only 4 spaces to fill and 6 drivers wanting them according to the front page.

Looks pretty full to me.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 15:36 (Ref:2443117)   #10
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Justin Wilson, Giorgio Pantano and Robbie Kerr all raced in FPA, they have gone on to decent things. It became a series for 'gentleman drivers' a few years ago but has revamped itself with a lot of young drivers competing in it. There's a few in F2 now thanks to Mr Palmer. The cars are old but good; drivers play with a lot of power yet less aerodynamic grip than FR's, meaning lap times are similar. Good car control practice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
Hehe, don't think so, you can test on their testing facility at Bedford Autodrome for extra quids.
There are often FPA cars running at general test sessions at Oulton, Donington etc.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 20:18 (Ref:2444036)   #11
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post

There are often FPA cars running at general test sessions at Oulton, Donington etc.
Really? I'd be very surprised if they were.
Old 18 Apr 2009, 22:26 (Ref:2444094)   #12
08u05
Racer

08u05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALIST View Post
Really? I'd be very surprised if they were.
I've seen FPAs testing at Donny and Oulton already this year.....
Old 19 Apr 2009, 16:28 (Ref:2444823)   #13
Deemun
Racer

Deemun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08u05 View Post
I've seen FPAs testing at Donny and Oulton already this year.....
Me too. I think they allow a few out on MSV circuits pre-season to drivers that have signed up to the series (at extra cost of course) but once the season starts all testing outside of race weekends takes place at Bedford.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2443055)   #14
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcmike View Post
sons of ex-F1 racers did FPA.. like Alex Brundle and Joylon Palmer.. and Jack Clarke (his step father is Julian Bailey)
Also Karim Ojjeh (related to Mansour, you know, TAG owner and McLaren shareholder) raced in FPA some years ago. His car was painted in the colours of 1979-81 Williams FW07-Cosworth and had also number 27.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 14:49 (Ref:2443094)   #15
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcmike View Post
Ah... almost forgot that Derek Hill was also an FPA racer.
Old 19 Apr 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2444914)   #16
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm on the side of the fence that it is sound series and the knockers from day one were the drivers/managers who didn't want to put there young starlets in identicle cars and couldn't "buy" an Advantage. Last season someone I know who shall remain nameless did the first 3-4 round complained the car was crap, engineers were crap engine etc etc as an exuse for running at more or less the tail end, the same car and conditions were given to another driver for the rest of the season and it was a consistant top 6 runner...........
Old 30 Apr 2009, 08:50 (Ref:2452680)   #17
Petrol Head
Rookie

England
North London
Petrol Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think FPA has been of a good standard in the last few years to be honest.

It seems that the connection with F2 has also encouraged people to sign up and they apparently have a full grid at Brands this weekend – most of whom are young drivers. http://www.formulapalmeraudi.com/

I am going to A1GP this weekend and as a fan I have always enjoyed watching FPA races – as previously mentioned the high power/less grip combination seems to create good racing and dare I say overtaking!
Old 30 Apr 2009, 16:11 (Ref:2452990)   #18
JOWT Blog
Racer

United States
JOWT Blog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
It seems that the connection with F2 has also encouraged people to sign up and they apparently have a full grid at Brands this weekend – most of whom are young drivers. http://www.formulapalmeraudi.com/
It's nice to see Josef Newgarden giving FPA a shot, during his down-time from the MSA British Formula Ford Championship. The field looks to be pretty deep.
Old 3 May 2009, 02:09 (Ref:2454334)   #19
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Josef Newgarden took out both race wins aswell
Old 4 May 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2455120)   #20
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Vasiliauskas took the third win - wouldn't have predicted that before the weekend! Newgarden, Plant, Vasiliauskas and Foster looked the class of the field. Newgarden was particularly spectacular on track. Considering it's his slicks and wings debut (I think) I was very impressed with his raw speed.
Old 4 May 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2455162)   #21
danberry
Rookie

danberry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, he was good, especially the first race, going round the outside of foster into paddock hill on the first lap was brave considering it was his first race in slicks and wings!
Old 4 May 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2455191)   #22
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by danberry View Post
Yes, he was good, especially the first race, going round the outside of foster into paddock hill on the first lap was brave considering it was his first race in slicks and wings!
It was an impressive although I will say not unexpected performance. Don't Skip Barber cars, which Josef raced in last year, have slicks & wings? Can anyone confirm yes/no?
Old 4 May 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2455288)   #23
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You're right that they have wings, though they don't look too effective:
http://www.skipbarber.com/race_serie..._overview.aspx

But I think they run on road tyres.
Old 4 May 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2455315)   #24
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
You're right that they have wings, though they don't look too effective:
http://www.skipbarber.com/race_serie..._overview.aspx

But I think they run on road tyres.
Thanks JDU. They actually remind me a bit, appearance wise that is, of the Formula Zip cars that Martin Hines tried to establish in the UK a few years ago.
Old 5 May 2009, 12:59 (Ref:2455826)   #25
PULSERACING
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford
PULSERACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spent the day at Brands Hatch saturday with Paul Rees who drives in FPA and was hugely impressed with the series from an inside view. Its right to say the cars are out of date (up to 10yrs old) but the teams work hard with great precission and you can pick out the true dedicated drivers from the rich hangers on. This is surely the point of the lower racing series . The dedicated ones spend time with there engineers fine tuning the cars and discussing set ups. Difficult but important in identical cars ,where as the wannabes flounce about all day looking pretty and spending there time in the hospitality units. Great racing at the front and a really good level of drivers this year and all for £55 K .Bargain. Talking in the paddock and the drivers reckon it will cost up to £300 K to race F2. Yet to be established, Not a bargain.