Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 10 Sep 2009, 00:01 (Ref:2537442)   #1
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Caravan Related Question

Not about Caravan racing or Caravans per se.... but Caravans inside circuit grounds (paddock/support paddock/car park).

My daughter is in a Hip Spica cast (DDH/'Clicky Hip') and will be until the end of the year. Up until now race meetings haven't been a bit problem because I've decided to sit meetings out rather than leave wifey-type to struggle along, but I quite fancy doing the WHT. The only problem being that little miss is going to get bored to tears and, being in a cast, can't toddle about.

The initial bright idea was to park a caravan up somewhere in the grounds - doesn't matter where really, as long as it's closeish to the pits - and then wifety-type could take her back there so she could play on the floor, sleep, whatever.

Now I've seen motor homes around at the WHT but not carvans (TBH I wasn't really paying close attention, last year it wasn't really a bit factor ) - are caravans allowed on site for competitors? If so, where and under what conditions (e.g. can you stay overnight etc)?

Just wondering because I assume Motorhomes get a free pass as a 'support vehicle', but a Caravan can hardly be labelled a tow vehicle
Old 10 Sep 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2537627)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have seen loads of them at the track and never known anyone to have a problem especially at Silverstone where the paddock is vast. May have to put it up th ehill a bit at a place like Lydden but really dont forsee you having a problem epecially under the circumstances and you should get two vehicle passes.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2537690)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I've taken mine into Donington and not had any problems and I've seen caravans in the paddock at most tracks in the past.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2537922)   #4
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers guys!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2538038)   #5
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
For most race meetings you usually get issued two vehicle passes, one for the main vehicle and one for a support vehicle. So one can tow the trailer and one the caravan. If you should be unlucky enough to only get issued one pass, then you just need to tow the trailer in first, un-hitch it, then go out and swap the caravan to the same vehicle and tow that in as well :-))
Old 11 Sep 2009, 16:59 (Ref:2538633)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!

Hey Tim is that yours parked next to the Trannie near mine ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Sep 2009, 17:07 (Ref:2538639)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post

Hey Tim is that yours parked next to the Trannie near mine ?
Hehe, It's pretty much like the one in the middle top of the picture only it's covered in a green algae where it's been stood at my wife's stables. I once brought it home behind my ageing Disco to clean it all up and we stopped off at the local retail park to look at some furniture. A very worried manager came out and asked how long we would be parked up at the side of his shop, I was going to put an Irish accent on and say I was just waiting for the rest of my family who are following behind but didn't have the heart to.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 21:42 (Ref:2540007)   #8
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No problem with caravans - our caravan is pulled by the race car to & hopefully from all circuits this season, just stick relevant pass in window, no problem. Can think of at least half a dozen Jaguar drivers all with caravans, most with young children. hiope this helps.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2540017)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
You pull the caravan with the race car????? Blimey!!!
Old 14 Sep 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2540252)   #10
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Yup!!!!!!! It's famous (or notorious!) in the CSCC/Jag paddock.Pull up, empty boot, remove detachable tow bar, tape lights, remove tape over numbers & off to scruitineering!!! 128 races, no DNF's (till last week, burst hose) driven to & from every track.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 02:07 (Ref:2546356)   #11
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Yes. I've seen it, followed it and tried to pass it . Possible the fastest road legal tow car and caravan.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2546733)   #12
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If in any doubt, explain to the organisers beforehand and I'm sure they would give you all necessary help.

Jim
Old 23 Sep 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2546830)   #13
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Palmer View Post
Yes. I've seen it, followed it and tried to pass it . Possible the fastest road legal tow car and caravan.
better not be going over the 60mph max limit for towing, give us vanners a bad name
Old 23 Sep 2009, 21:08 (Ref:2546965)   #14
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
better not be going over the 60mph max limit for towing, give us vanners a bad name
Perish the thought!
Old 24 Sep 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2547212)   #15
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for me towing the van with a 1.5 almera 60 is a target rarely achieved as opposed to a limit still makes the trip more enjoyable, slow and steady etc etc
Old 14 Sep 2009, 09:13 (Ref:2540280)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
All I can say is good on yer!