Trulli to Benetton?

Is Jarno going to drive for Renault next year? Let me hear about it
Old 11 Aug 2001, 21:21 (Ref:129000)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris, I doubt Trulli will go to Benetton. Originally, Flavio was interested in Trulli, but his interest seems to have died down a lot over the last few months.
Old 11 Aug 2001, 21:22 (Ref:129003)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Nothing has been confirmed, but he's said he's been looking at other options apart from Jordan (and I think Benetton is the only other option he has). And according to the new issue of F1 Racing, he visited the Benetton factory recently as well - they think he'll be replacing Fisichella, who will replace Bernoldi at Arrows (that's an interesting one!).
Old 11 Aug 2001, 23:42 (Ref:129048)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I just hope that Renault Team break through the poor performances this year to a better car next season....
Old 11 Aug 2001, 23:46 (Ref:129049)   #5
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are bennetton really gonna change to renault next year. The way the personnel talk about it you'd have to wonder because rarely have they reffered to renault next year...
Old 12 Aug 2001, 00:45 (Ref:129070)   #6
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's some strange at Renault. They haven't any French drivers!!! Also in the rumours they don't hear anything linked to French drivers, any in the case of test drivers. Very strange move for a French company...
Old 12 Aug 2001, 02:33 (Ref:129107)   #7
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trulli holds the key to the silly season this year (as newssites are now saying ..) and that holds a lot of thruth in the case of a superdriver as Trulli moving to another team which would imply a lesser god is free on the market, who will be hired by another team, which implies that a lesser lesser god is available, who will ... well etc etc.

Renaults prospects for 2002 are not good enough to be of any attraction to Trulli I guess, maybe later on.

What I am really REALLY hoping for is one of the Maccas getting available (like Mika calls it a day, like Rahal paying Ron a lot for DC ..) and Trulli gets the drive. Now that would spark a) the 2002 WDC and b) the silly season. Chances are slim though so probably everything remains as it is ...
Old 12 Aug 2001, 03:22 (Ref:129110)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trulli won't be leaving Jordan I think. The Benetton/Renault package has proven to be uncompetitive (well, more so than the Jordan anyway). Any comments made by Trulli lately are more frustration than fact.

BTW, Trulli is only managed by Briatore from what I understand so Trulli is under no obligation to go to Benetton. Also, if rumours are to believed, Briatore will be out of Renault next year anyway, so Trulli will probably stay at Jordan.
Old 12 Aug 2001, 09:14 (Ref:129139)   #9
davebreen
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
davebreen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli to leave Jordan? Alesi would get the drive till 2003 and Sato comes in to keep Honda happy. If this happens Alesi is likely to have a Damon Hill like Indian Summer in the 2003 season. Jordan NEED to hold on to Trulli. He's the best thing about the team this season and can bring the team forward if they get the engine right. Its a pity that Jordan cant hold onto the talents that they unearth, TGF, Rubens, Ralf, Fishi, and to a lesser extent Irvine. Fingers crossed the diminitive Italian will see the potential in Jordan and stay
Old 12 Aug 2001, 20:31 (Ref:129324)   #10
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This rumour (Trulli to Renault, Fischo to Arrows, Bernoldi to test (Ferrari??)) does add up,I have to say. However, ITHINK it will all remain status quo.
Old 12 Aug 2001, 23:40 (Ref:129412)   #11
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
paulzinho,
Benetton is Renault. Renault knew that this would be a "development" year and didnt want to embarrass themselves by having their name on an uncompetitive car. Next year they will be known as just Renault.
I hope Fisichella doesnt go to Arrows. He is very talented, and has a better future with Renault. They are very serious about competing, and will no doubt be much stronger next season. The Benetton chassis isnt too bad, and with Renaults resources will only get better. Their motor should start showing it potential by mid-season 2002, then after that, will probably be one of the top 3 engines available.
Arrows will be happy with the Cosworth motor, but are still limited by resources(money) and an uncompetitive chassis IMO.
Old 13 Aug 2001, 00:33 (Ref:129432)   #12
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Frankly, I've got no idea what Jarno will do. Jordan are stronger now, but Renault probably have more potential. If Jarno does go to Renault, I believe one of two things will happen. Fisichella will go to Jordan, as Sato's teammate. Or Renault will offload Button, and have the two Italians driving for them.
Old 13 Aug 2001, 11:00 (Ref:129582)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli and Alesi have always had an acrimonious relationship. I can't imagine them getting along as teammates. Neverthless, I think it will be good for both of them to have to push each other.

I'm still hearing Zonta to Benetton, Button to Prost. And it would not surprise me if it was Frenzy in the Arrows next year.
Old 13 Aug 2001, 20:17 (Ref:129868)   #14
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont see Trulli leaving unless Flavio really gives him a sweet deal financially because the Renault is likely to stay just where it is next season. It may get better but it'll still be mid field at best with the Arrows getting a works engine and the Saubers and BAR's coming along nicely etc.

Trulli would probably be wise to stick with Jordan for another year. At least he has the possibility of finishing on the podium with the Jordan Honda. Hopefully with Jean Alesi in the team, Jordan would be regular challengers for podium positions next year.

I think Trulli has a lot of potential - not as much as Montoya but enough to warrant a decent drive.
Old 13 Aug 2001, 20:53 (Ref:129890)   #15
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli to Bennetton would be a damm shame IMO
Old 14 Aug 2001, 04:37 (Ref:130076)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's how i reckon it'll go in 2002

Jordan - Alesi & Sato
Benetton - Trulli & Button
Arrows - Fisichella & Verstappen
Prost - Frentzen & Webber ( coz of flav )
Old 14 Aug 2001, 07:48 (Ref:130140)   #17
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's doubtfull that all that noise with Frenzen's fire was because of Alesi. It seems Jordan needs a free seat for Sato and an experied driver to teach the Japanese. Alezi is good for teaching, even more so he knows how to talk to Japaneses.

So I can believe that Jordan will not hold Trulli.

Regarding Renault, Flavio is leaving the team that's why he wasn't been trying hard through curent season, Renault is introducing its own management to the team and it may work. Flavio had only one success in team management TGF's team, but to build the team without a super star he happened to be not able.

The factory team is not always a guarantee of the wins (look at Jag). But the rise is coming any way. Trulli to Renault, why not?
Old 14 Aug 2001, 11:02 (Ref:130215)   #18
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's so bad about having Trulli and Fisichella in the same team? This would be a very strong line up.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 11:25 (Ref:130237)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In a Ferrari, maybe...
Old 14 Aug 2001, 11:28 (Ref:130241)   #20
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
What's so bad about having Trulli and Fisichella in the same team? This would be a very strong line up.
They don't like each other... DO you think it may be a start of a beautiful friendship?
Old 14 Aug 2001, 14:49 (Ref:130329)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean like Juan Pablo and Ralfie?

I'd love to see Fisi and Trulli in Ferraris (look at all those "i"s for one thing!)
Old 14 Aug 2001, 16:03 (Ref:130358)   #22
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Trulli suggested earlier this season that he would relish the challenge of a move to Benetton. His manager Lucio Cavuto said the chance to drive alongside his pal Jean Alesi played a part in his decision to stay with Jordan.

He said: "Jarno and Jean have been big friends for a long time and it is great for Jarno to have him as a team mate in F1. We would like it to continue, but it is not up to us to decide."

Janno and Jean - "great pals"...since when !

Old 14 Aug 2001, 16:03 (Ref:130359)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

I'd love to see Fisi and Trulli in Ferraris (look at all those "i"s for one thing!)
Thanx.