Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Mar 2022, 22:36 (Ref:4102997)   #1
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Vettel out of R1 with Covid, Hulk stands is (no silliness)

Sebastian Vettel has been replaced by a Nico Hulkenberg for the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix, his team has confirmed.

Aston Martin released a statement on Thursday night.

“Sebastian Vettel has tested positive for Covid-19 and will not therefore be taking part in the 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix,” the team announced.

Replacing him in the AMR22 will be Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team reserve driver Nico Hulkenberg, who will be in the car from FP1 onwards.”

Aston Martin’s reserve driver Hulkenberg, 34, last competed in F1 in 2020.

F1 has made it compulsory for all drivers and team personnel to be vaccinated this year.

(sorry for typo in Sebs name,,, its early morning here (Mods can you please correct?)

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motors...f1288208cf8450
Old 20 Mar 2022, 09:48 (Ref:4103440)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Decent job from Hulk with no prior time in the car. Top professional.

Laurence can't keep hiding the truth about Lance for much longer. Put 2 proper drivers in next season and watch the team progress..
Old 20 Mar 2022, 10:17 (Ref:4103444)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not sure you understand why he bought the team.
Old 20 Mar 2022, 10:18 (Ref:4103446)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Old 22 Mar 2022, 06:18 (Ref:4103790)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I understand alright! Just stating the obvious!
Old 10 Apr 2022, 13:50 (Ref:4106143)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A difficult weekend for Seb and his team mate also sloppy on track. The car doesn’t seem competitive and leadership looks to also be totally absent.

This team seems truely lost?
Old 10 Apr 2022, 20:01 (Ref:4106178)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
On the whole, it is hard to see how the weekend could have gone any worse for this team. Slow car, sloppy driving, crash after crash, grid penalty, and an in race time penalty thrown in. What a fall from grace compared with the Pink Mercedes season.
Old 10 Apr 2022, 23:26 (Ref:4106218)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
On the whole, it is hard to see how the weekend could have gone any worse for this team. Slow car, sloppy driving, crash after crash, grid penalty, and an in race time penalty thrown in. What a fall from grace compared with the Pink Mercedes season.
And in any interview done by the on-track team or the host broadcaster, Mr Stroll Jr was never a pleasant fellow... definitely had no interest or inclination to be where he is... I dont get it...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Apr 2022, 02:09 (Ref:4106225)   #9
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It’s called daddies money $$$$$.

The bloke would be hard pressed to drive a stick up a dogs bottom in my opinion.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 09:40 (Ref:4106276)   #10
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Disclaimer: I don't think Stroll is good. However there have been a thousand pay drivers on the grid who were significantly worse than he is. His payment method is just more obvious as his father owns it.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 20:08 (Ref:4106381)   #11
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Disclaimer: I don't think Stroll is good. However there have been a thousand pay drivers on the grid who were significantly worse than he is. His payment method is just more obvious as his father owns it.
Not very many who got their backsides into a quality drive though? (Well in previous seasons the Aston has been!)

The last ones I can think of are the Brabham no.2s in the early 80s?

We know why he's there but at some point soon Stroll snr is going to have to decide if he wants to carry on blowing millions so his son can drive (even if the car is slow atm) or he wants the cars to go as well. as they can.

If he's serious surely it's got to be 2 fresh drivers for '23.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 20:12 (Ref:4106383)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in fairness though, is Stroll Jr the biggest issue?

just speculating of course, but i would say the team needs a proper racing person in charge. they of course may choose to keep Stroll Jr on or not but imo their problem is leadership and also stemming from the development side (which is probably being driven by leadership's business model) then it is the fault of the drivers?
Old 11 Apr 2022, 20:42 (Ref:4106390)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
in fairness though, is Stroll Jr the biggest issue?

just speculating of course, but i would say the team needs a proper racing person in charge. they of course may choose to keep Stroll Jr on or not but imo their problem is leadership and also stemming from the development side (which is probably being driven by leadership's business model) then it is the fault of the drivers?
There is too much management there now but how many times have the cars been crashed so far this year and at what cost?

The car is difficult but neither driver appears able to get much out of it.

They need an experienced guy with lots of his career still in front of him and who doesn't like an overly specific car set up, and a younger proper coming man in the other one.
Hmm, bit like they used to have!
Old 11 Apr 2022, 20:47 (Ref:4106394)   #14
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
There is too much management there now but how many times have the cars been crashed so far this year and at what cost?

They need an experienced guy with lots of his career still in front of him and who doesn't like an overly specific car set up, and a younger proper coming man in the other one.
Hammer Nail, Head.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 21:39 (Ref:4106405)   #15
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

yes...when you put it like that i cannot disagree! of course i tried to but i cant lol!
Old 11 Apr 2022, 21:09 (Ref:4106401)   #16
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I'd rather not write Vettel off after one single race this year, but Gasly would be on my shopping list if I were looking for a driver for next season.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 21:23 (Ref:4106402)   #17
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I'd rather not write Vettel off after one single race this year, but Gasly would be on my shopping list if I were looking for a driver for next season.
Why would Gasly want to move further back on the grid?He would be a strong candidate for what will probably be vacant seats at Mercedes and Red Bull in 2024.
Old 12 Apr 2022, 16:41 (Ref:4106536)   #18
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Why would Gasly want to move further back on the grid?He would be a strong candidate for what will probably be vacant seats at Mercedes and Red Bull in 2024.
Because (IMO only) unless a seat opens up at the main RBR team, he would be better off almost anywhere else and trying to do what Sainz did. The Aston Martin team are struggling now, but are a proven midfield time with loads of money being pumped into it, so it might not be a bad drive as a stepping stone at least.

I have no idea who will be on RBRs or Mercs shopping list in 2024. Does Gasly really want yet another season in Torro Rosso waiting for a drive in the main team that may never arrive?
Old 11 Apr 2022, 22:33 (Ref:4106411)   #19
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We judge when millionaires/billionaires don't spend money.

We judge when they do.

It's a shame my dad's pension is about £2.47 a year (long story) otherwise I'm sure he'd have bought me a promo pen refill or something similar. I could have been world promo pen champion.

Seriously though: is Stroll really so bad compared to some past drivers?
Old 12 Apr 2022, 10:02 (Ref:4106466)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Probably not - but previously a less than impressive pay driver would hang around for a few seasons then be replaced by another less than impressive pay driver. Because daddy Stroll owns the team we're stuck with the same less than impressive pay driver for a longer period and that's just boring
Old 12 Apr 2022, 13:31 (Ref:4106500)   #21
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
No Pick a random early 90s season and you'll find gaps of 2-4 seconds between team mates, with regular DNQs and cars being 5-10 seconds off the pace.

None of todays drivers are anywhere near as bad as pay drivers from the 90s.
Old 12 Apr 2022, 15:21 (Ref:4106512)   #22
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
No Pick a random early 90s season and you'll find gaps of 2-4 seconds between team mates, with regular DNQs and cars being 5-10 seconds off the pace.

Also the difference then between the best (fastest) and worse (slowest) car was far greater than the difference is today. Nowadays the gap might be 3 seconds whereas back in the day it was often likely 5 secs or more. More if you included those that missed pre-qualifying.
I guess as well as the drivers, the worst cars are less bad today that the worse cars were back in the day.
Old 12 Apr 2022, 15:31 (Ref:4106514)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Also the difference then between the best (fastest) and worse (slowest) car was far greater than the difference is today. Nowadays the gap might be 3 seconds whereas back in the day it was often likely 5 secs or more. More if you included those that missed pre-qualifying.
I guess as well as the drivers, the worst cars are less bad today that the worse cars were back in the day.
but surely this just reinforces the need to have better drivers now days, even at the lower end.

need for better leadership, management, facilities, etc as well. over the past couple of decades the minimum bar has been raised significantly.
Old 11 Apr 2022, 22:52 (Ref:4106413)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don't think money matters, it's about how they spend it and where they spend it.

It's unfortunate for Stroll he's in an underwhelming car, but there's nowhere else for him really to go. He's an ok driver, but not great. Hope he can find something soon
Old 12 Apr 2022, 15:38 (Ref:4106516)   #25
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
We do have better drivers than what we did before. Stroll is tenths off of his 4 time WDC team mate. Drivers before were 2-3 seconds off of their generic midfield team.