Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jun 2002, 10:12 (Ref:312393)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda's long term plan put into action.

It looks as though Honda have confirmed that they will back only BAR next year, thus confirming my long term suspicions that a full team take over will come prior to the tobacco law changes in 2006. Bad news for Jordan but it could be worse. At least they can dump Sato now!
Old 13 Jun 2002, 10:18 (Ref:312397)   #2
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where have they confirmed it? I saw it on the BAR fans site but I haven't heard of it anywhere else.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 13 Jun 2002, 10:42 (Ref:312425)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, we all knew Honda would eventually take over BAR as BAT have to leave in 2006 thanks to tobacco legislation.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 10:43 (Ref:312426)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
It's in this weeks Autosport.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 10:44 (Ref:312428)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Well, I've searched every reputable site I know and found nothing. I'm not sayinf it won't happen (if fact I think it will) but its BS at the moment.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 10:49 (Ref:312434)   #6
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it looks like we're having a Jordan Cosworth Next season, With I hope Eddie Irvine and Giancarlo Fisichella driving.

By the way, If Irvine moves to Jordan next season, will we see the return of his old, much better helmet design?

Last edited by OVERSTEER; 13 Jun 2002 at 10:50.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 10:53 (Ref:312440)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
This is a quote from the 1st paragraph of the article in the Autosport that was released today:

" Japanese car giant Honda has decided to focus its efforts solely on British American Racing next season - ending its contract with Jordan a year early."
Old 13 Jun 2002, 11:00 (Ref:312448)   #8
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Damon, did they say where they heard it? (serious question)
Old 13 Jun 2002, 11:03 (Ref:312450)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
"A high profile source" - to be fair Autosport do tend to get it right. While the article goes on to say that an official announcement is not iminent they say that settlement talks with Jordan have already begun.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 12:15 (Ref:312549)   #10
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's on ITV-f1.com, but it's so damn slow that I haven't been able to read it. Probably nothing we don't know already.

I did find it hard to believe at first because I first saw news of it a couple of weeks ago on the www.barf1fans.com message board ( I think it was there anyway) but they said that Jordan's sponsors were pulling out as well; it was too ridiculous to be true!
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 13 Jun 2002, 12:45 (Ref:312595)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe EJ could do a deal with Toyota for a second supply of engines. That way he could give Honda the finger and put huge smile on the face of their biggest rival, Toyota?

Realistically though I don't see that happening and EJ may be chasing a customer engine supply from Ford or BMW.

I said in a previous thread on this subject that one should never underestimate Dave Richards in these matters. BAR might be a pile of junk at the moment but you only have to look as Dave's past success stories to know the mans no fool.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 12:49 (Ref:312602)   #12
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave at Benetton was a complete fiasco was it no?
Old 13 Jun 2002, 13:06 (Ref:312621)   #13
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A link to the Itv article is below: http://www.itv-f1.com/news/news_story/11234

BBKing, Richards wasn't given a fair shot and was forced out by the Benettons because he was telling them a truth they didn't want to hear-which was that they needed a closer partnership with an engine manufacturer. Irony of ironies-two years later, they see the writing on the wall and sell to Renault.

As for Jordan, they will be due a fair sum from Honda because the deal was pulled a year early, perhaps even enough to pay for customer Cossies.

In that case, its a fair bet that Swerve would return to Jordan, for one year at least, making Jordan-Cosworth with the rumoured additional B&H money Eddie would invite, a real Dark horse for 2003. Fisi and Eddie might both pull down some serious points.

Last edited by EERO; 13 Jun 2002 at 13:08.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 13:11 (Ref:312626)   #14
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Eddie Irvine hold the key for Jordan? If that is the case they must be really bad.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 13:18 (Ref:312636)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think so, but with his salary at Jaguar being severely reduced and a **** car to drive, Jordan might appeal to Irvine to end his F1 career. I do agree however that Irvine (if he can rediscover the will to win) and Cosworth plus Jordan could well be a formidable entry!
Old 13 Jun 2002, 13:26 (Ref:312648)   #16
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
The Jordan chassis isn't awfull, their main problem is the lump of an engine they've got. I think Honda's decision has done Jordan a favour, they can dump Sato and bolt the very respectable customer cosworths to the car. Irvine will enjoy the new challenge and I'm sure rack up some healthy points for the team.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 14:10 (Ref:312682)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
Dave at Benetton was a complete fiasco was it no?
don't think so BBK, it's just that he wanted to pull Benetton in one direction where as the Benetton family wanted to go in the totally opposite direction! eventually, the family got rid of Richards and put Rocco Benetton in charge, but he didn't exactly set the F1 world on fire either!
Old 13 Jun 2002, 16:39 (Ref:312802)   #18
PoweredByHonda
Racer

PoweredByHonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this could be the final straw on Jordan's spiral towards the backfield. First they lose Title sponsorship from B&H, and now the Honda works deal. What will be next? DHL cant be the title sponsor forever as they just don't have that kind of money. It seems EJ is in for a tough stretch. Let's hope he can get Jordan through it.
Old 13 Jun 2002, 17:58 (Ref:312873)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
We are forgetting that ALL F1 teams are going through this rough patch at the moment. Williams have suffered along with others and were it not for the likes of West who are tied in some way to Mercedes then what would McLaren do? Jaguar live courtesy of Ford and for how much longer will their sponsors pay huge sums to be signed on a car that runs at the back of the grid? Jordan might just steal a few sponsors from other teams. Never write EJ off, he's a whilly old bird!
Old 13 Jun 2002, 20:52 (Ref:313054)   #20
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait a minute! Why would Honda, an engine builder, pay Jordan to buy Ford, another engine builders motors? Spitefully EJ may not want to run Honda next year but I cant really see a better option for him. Honda could do essentially what Ferrari does for Sauber. Even though this years motor is reputed to be down on power. This my friends is only a temporary situation. In fact now the Jordan's seem just as fast as Sauber which runs Ferrari. I don't think hp is their biggest problem. I bet by the end of the season EJ will be more than happy to run this years Honda, next year.

Last edited by neilap; 13 Jun 2002 at 20:54.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 00:57 (Ref:313191)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:

No official announcement will be forthcoming from Honda for some time, however, as Honda's president of research and development, Takeo Fukui, said: "Even when we've decided, we can't tell you."

BAR's team principal David Richards has said it is essential for the future of his squad that it receives full-scale manufacturer-support, and that Honda needs to focus on BAR to take the next step forward. It has already begun testing an 'Athena' version of last year's BAR 003 chassis that features a special Honda electronics package.

Now!! What does that last sentence signify??
I have said, over and over, that it is essential for Honda to take over the entire car because the electronics need to be integrated for all the running parts of the car. Sure, Honda should retain Richards as the team manager, no worries. But is is absolutely essential that one central unit should be in charge of developing the car, and that is not BAR. I would go as far as to say that even the wind tunnel work needs to be done by this development unit. At least this latest news will make Neilap happy
Old 14 Jun 2002, 01:02 (Ref:313194)   #22
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In my email, I got a report from Autosport stating that Honda have made a decision that they will only supply BAR next year, but for some strange reason they won't announce it publicly yet (although Autosport has basically done it for them!!!)

Looks like Jordan will be looking elsewhere (most probably to Cosworth) for engines next year, but they will paid out big-time by Honda.
Old 14 Jun 2002, 01:56 (Ref:313215)   #23
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I bet Jordan will have Honda engines next year for free. It would also make their chassis developnent cheaper. Just my opinion though.

VB, am I that obvious? I have been trying to hold back .
Old 14 Jun 2002, 03:21 (Ref:313250)   #24
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
It would be good for Honda to come out of the doldrums. I'm just sorry that another F1 team has to suffer, but after what Eddie did to HHF, then that's not so bad.
It does seem to me that for any manufacturer to succesfully get a car+engine working properly, they can only do one engine+chassis combination, not two different chassis makes.
By the way, does anyone have any information about this Athena electronix?

Valve[img]http://www.**************************/smilies/bouncy.gif[/img]
Old 14 Jun 2002, 19:10 (Ref:313816)   #25
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I believed that was the deal with their suspension and chassis development not with electronics. Then again, Honda is huge in electronics and robotics so maybe I am wrong.