Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Aug 2003, 09:47 (Ref:682668)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Happy birthday Our Nige!

Nigel Mansell has just turned 50 ladies and gentlemen!

Any chance of a comeback?
Old 8 Aug 2003, 10:04 (Ref:682674)   #2
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Cheers to "Il Lione!!"

He was actually looking forward to this as he wants to play golf on the Senior Tour (or so he said at the CART race in Florida). He looked pretty fit - still wouldn't mind seeing him do a lap or two in CART...

I think golf is his focus now.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 10:37 (Ref:682692)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
My hero.

Did he ever officially retire?
Old 8 Aug 2003, 11:18 (Ref:682729)   #4
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
......no, he's still waiting for any 'interesting' offers.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 11:46 (Ref:682765)   #5
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Happy birthday Nige! Many thanks for years of entertainment..

He should make a guest appearance in some formula with 'red 50'.

Last edited by Spudgun; 8 Aug 2003 at 11:48.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 12:27 (Ref:682813)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What was your most memorable Nige moment guys? There are so many but I would have to put......oh, I don't know!

Hungary 1992 was an emotional day, that's for sure!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 12:38 (Ref:682825)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll never forget his impressive overtaking on Senna at 1989 Hungarian GP (and God knows how difficult is overtaking down there!)
Old 8 Aug 2003, 12:51 (Ref:682845)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When is he going to become SIR Nigel???
Old 8 Aug 2003, 14:18 (Ref:682911)   #9
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nige moments? There are so many!

But just a couple off of my head would be Imola 1990 with the 160mph spin recovery (It just summed the guy up in 3 seconds).

Hungary 1989 with his storming win from 12th on the grid at a track notorious for difficulty in overtaking. He redesigned the front wing overnight with his engineer to cure the understeer that had put him in 12th in qualifying (you wouldn't get that happening now!)

And of course Silverstone 1987 with THAT pass on Nelson Piquet at the end of Hangar Straight after breaking the lap record lap after lap to catch him up.

Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Hungary 1992 was an emotional day, that's for sure!
Too right it was!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 17:21 (Ref:683065)   #10
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damn, he's old!

If it weren't for Nigel Mansell, I'd never been interested in Formula 1 racing: I knew him from Indycars, then I started playing Nigel Mansell's World Championship on the SNES. Before long, I was waking up early on Sundays to watch the races on ESPN, until they moved all the races to the Deuce, which I didn't get. Luckily, the Internet and Speed Channel came along, and here I am today.

Thanks, Nige, for putting your name on a video game!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 17:48 (Ref:683097)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Happy birthday to the guy that started my love affair with Grand Prix Racing. Have a good'ne Nige .
Old 8 Aug 2003, 18:10 (Ref:683122)   #12
pb btcc
Veteran

pb btcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my nigel moments:

1991 Spanish GP when he was side by side with senna and there was sparks coming out the cars that was classic.

winning the first 5 races of 92 without really be being touched.

and happen 50th
Old 8 Aug 2003, 18:33 (Ref:683135)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Attached Images
File Type: jpg senna mansell barc 91small.jpg (13.3 KB, 186 views)
Old 8 Aug 2003, 18:47 (Ref:683144)   #14
ElScOrChO
Racer

ElScOrChO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah! the good old days!

Happy Birthday Nige!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 18:53 (Ref:683149)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

That famous red 5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red 5.jpg (23.7 KB, 182 views)
Old 8 Aug 2003, 19:05 (Ref:683159)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nige is a PURE legend !.......Bring him back at the age of 50 and he would still beat many drivers hands down.....

When he has the motivation , there is never anyone better .

Right , now im in the Mansell mood , im gonna stick on 1985 European GP ( Brands Hatch ) on video and watch Il Lione win his first ever GP...

Happy Birthday Nige !

Last edited by Sato san; 8 Aug 2003 at 19:07.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 19:15 (Ref:683165)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
God I feel old.

1985. I was there. Tell me about the vid SS.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 19:34 (Ref:683202)   #18
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
He had a great fight with Piquet from memory, then he destroyed them all.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 20:08 (Ref:683232)   #19
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watched F1 BM ( Before Mansell ) enjoyed GPs well enough, but Nige first got my attention trying to push his Lotus over finish line.
From then on the races took on a new interest and excitement, what a fella ! The rollercoaster ride of enormous highs and crushing lows. I used to be so highly strung watching the races, real edge of seat stuff.
January 1992 my girlfriend was nagging me about marriage, in a weak moment I said that if he won the championship , she and I would get married before following race week-end. It's our anniversary August 26th.

Happy Birthday Nigel, thanks for the racing and the inspiration !

Last edited by gringottsdirect; 8 Aug 2003 at 20:12.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 20:32 (Ref:683249)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

That's a lovely tale gringotts! Those must have been the best couple of weeks ever!

I can't believe it's 11 YEARS since Nige won it! I've just thought of that fact and it's scary. I remember it like it were yesterday: Patrese leading then spinning, mansell holding onto second or third, a precautionary pitstop, the fightback, Schueys wing falling off at high speed, passing Berger into second and crossing the line to become world champion of 1992. That can't have been eleven years ago!?!
Old 9 Aug 2003, 00:52 (Ref:683391)   #21
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yer....Brundle hitting Schu up the backside hehehehe....but the most important thing on that day was that Nige had to wish his daughter a happy birthday during a interview with Jonathan Palmer on the grid....

Family man is our Nige .

Im just going to watch Suzuka 94 now too ( as its 2am int he morning and the baby is wide awake ).....So its time to watch Mansell and Alesi going wheel to wheel in the rain aproaching the 130R at full chat.

suddenly being kept awake all night doesnt seem so bad !

Last edited by Sato san; 9 Aug 2003 at 00:54.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 01:16 (Ref:683402)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
My favorite memory of Nige? None in particular! It was enough that he existed - you just knew something would happen - excitement is an over-used word by Nige and excitement to me were/are interchangeable.

Coming over here and taking it to one of the more talented CART fields ever, and winning on ovals especially, winning the CART Championship after being WDC. Top stuff from a top talent. A friend of mine still takes his Mansell flag to CART races!

Sato san (dad ) - glad to see you have found productive use for those late night feedings! God Bless the DVD player!

Last edited by JohnSSC; 9 Aug 2003 at 01:18.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 02:07 (Ref:683412)   #23
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by spearce
......no, he's still waiting for any 'interesting' offers.
Happy birthday ... Mr. Mansell ...

Have I got an interesting offer for YOU!

Only 50 years old? A mere child. Many happy returns to you Nige!
Old 9 Aug 2003, 07:53 (Ref:683491)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
Im just going to watch Suzuka 94 now too ( as its 2am int he morning and the baby is wide awake ).....So its time to watch Mansell and Alesi going wheel to wheel in the rain aproaching the 130R at full chat.

suddenly being kept awake all night doesnt seem so bad !

Damn right! Just watched that battle on the season review tape last night....it made fighting with the craneflies all the more bearable!

Thanks for the memories Nige!
Old 9 Aug 2003, 08:24 (Ref:683502)   #25
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Nige and Murray Walker are the two people I have to thank for starting my interest in motorsport, it was me watching those 80's grand prix's that got me into it back when I was about 4-5 years old.
I have already met Murray got his autograph and shook his hand, now for nige...