Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 20 Jun 2005, 05:47 (Ref:1334062)   #1
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eccelstone makes sexist remark

He couldn't have picked a better weekend to make such comments.

I can't believe he holds such backwards views. Surely F1 could find a better person to lead it than him.

Link to the article

ESPN.com news services

All the attention that Danica Patrick has received on the Indy Racing League circuit has not made Formula One president and CEO Bernie Ecclestone a fan.

Ecclestone, in Indianapolis for the United States Grand Prix, was asked about Patrick's success Friday.

"Yep, she did a good job, didn't she? Super. Didn't think she was going to make it," Ecclestone said.

Before leaving, Ecclestone made one more assessment about women racing with men.

"You know I've got one of those wonderful ideas ... women should be dressed in white like all the other domestic appliances."

It isn't the first time Ecclestone commented on women in racing, telling Autosport racing magazine in Feb. 2000 that women would never excel in Forumla One. He added that if a woman did make it, "she would have to be a woman who was blowing away the boys. ... What I would really like to see happen is to find the right girl, perhaps a black girl with super looks, preferably Jewish or Muslim, who speaks Spanish."
Old 20 Jun 2005, 05:51 (Ref:1334066)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A throwaway remark - hardly a staunchly held sexist opinion!

And his Autosport comment is a marketing man's ideal.

No harm done.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 05:52 (Ref:1334067)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Bad timing?

The worst!

Especially in North America, where Danica has been "the talk of the town".

Give shovel... Will dig...

(BTW - A story on ESPN is generally "national news")
Old 20 Jun 2005, 05:58 (Ref:1334070)   #4
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
KB, I don't know how his comments will be received in other parts of the world but such remarks will be very damaging for F1 in the US and also Canada, two nations that do not take offensive comments lightly, especially if they are aimed at 51% of the population.

The autosport comment was unwise, although not necessarily sexist or bigoted but it being revived still will hurt. However, what will really hurt is this, which I believe is sexist: "You know I've got one of those wonderful ideas ... women should be dressed in white like all the other domestic appliances."
Old 20 Jun 2005, 06:09 (Ref:1334077)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
You just don't say things like that over here.
It don't go over well.
With a buddy over a beer, perhaps. But not to strangers, especially the media! They latch a hold of something like that and run with it.

Give shovel... Will dig...
Old 20 Jun 2005, 06:26 (Ref:1334092)   #6
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
Quote:
They latch a hold of something like that and run with it.
That is exactly what will happen. Given what happened today, it will just add more fuel to the fire and give the media two negative stories to run about F1.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 07:27 (Ref:1334159)   #7
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was reading a thing quoting him of saying that several weeks ago so i wonder if he is repeating himself or the media is talking crap again
Old 20 Jun 2005, 07:55 (Ref:1334179)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Jeez, he was taking the ****. No wonder American comedies are almost all unremittingly toe-curlingly humourless.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 08:05 (Ref:1334183)   #9
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
Without seeing video footage of him how can we determine his attitude? Even if he was joking (a frequent excuse used by public figures who make such remarks. I highly doubt he actually was joking), it was still an idiotic and tasteless remark and certainly not one the president of F1 should make. Also, it means he is a terrible comedian. Did anyone laugh at his comment???

Real comedy does not need to resort to bigotry for laughs.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 09:15 (Ref:1334221)   #10
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy
Without seeing video footage of him how can we determine his attitude? Even if he was joking (a frequent excuse used by public figures who make such remarks. I highly doubt he actually was joking), it was still an idiotic and tasteless remark and certainly not one the president of F1 should make. Also, it means he is a terrible comedian. Did anyone laugh at his comment???
Are you really suggesting that someone who refers to women as "domestic appliances" is being serious?

Especially one married to a 6'2" model? A Lec fridge-freezer. Ay thenk you.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1334313)   #11
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Are you really suggesting that someone who refers to women as "domestic appliances" is being serious?

Especially one married to a 6'2" model? A Lec fridge-freezer. Ay thenk you.

Ans she doubtless married Bernie for his good looks, physique and caring nature.

Off topic but is that a syrup he wears?
Old 20 Jun 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1335060)   #12
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wasn't very clever

That's basically it, IMO. Stop the idiotic trans atlantic bickering boys. Don't defend it as a british sense of humour, as that's an insult to a long tradfition of clever and funny british comedians.

It was dumb.
I don't know what he was thinking....
He probably doesn't care.

Lead balloon of a joke Bern...
Old 20 Jun 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1335112)   #13
Magical Trevor
Veteran

United States
New Britain, CT; Local Track: Lime Rock
Magical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMagical Trevor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester
It wasn't very clever

That's basically it, IMO. Stop the idiotic trans atlantic bickering boys. Don't defend it as a british sense of humour, as that's an insult to a long tradfition of clever and funny british comedians.

It was dumb.
I don't know what he was thinking....
He probably doesn't care.

Lead balloon of a joke Bern...
Nice post jester-I think you're right.
What's the point in arguing anyway? It's not like _this_ comment cost thousands of fans their tickets or anything like that....
*Yes, I used to be RacerGuy2. You don't really think I'd stick with that name the whole time now did you? ;)
Old 20 Jun 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1334285)   #14
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Real comedy does not need to resort to bigotry for laughs.
No doubt some American lawyer will currently be looking at a way of suing Bernie for "severe emotional distress" that his joke caused and claiming few million each for every on of the 51% of the population. Another great reason to go to law school. It was a joke. get over it. Agreed, slightly tasteless, but then the best jokes are. Ask Bill Hicks or Woody Allen, or Lenny Bruce. Maybe some Americans do understand humour after all!
Old 20 Jun 2005, 08:06 (Ref:1334184)   #15
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I couldn't believe he said that at Indy where she is so popular lol was he trying to get Shot?

It goes to show you that we have a Raceist running the commercial side of F1 and a Moron as in Mosely as the President of the FIA. F1 future does not look very bright until these two ether retire or die from old age. Maybe some fresh people with new ideas would help the sport.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 09:39 (Ref:1334255)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpunk75
I couldn't believe he said that at Indy where she is so popular lol was he trying to get Shot?

It goes to show you that we have a Raceist running the commercial side of F1 :

There's no evidence to suggest Bernie is a racist.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 10:10 (Ref:1334295)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well if you wanted to get technical... perhaps Xpunk75 is actually correct.. the word was spelled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpunk75
...Raceist....
... and it is arguable that Mr Ecclestone has been against racing for many many seasons now... making him perhaps anti-racing or indeed a Race-ist
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 20 Jun 2005, 09:45 (Ref:1334262)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
K-B I would disagree with you here. Based on the article, BE makes no attempt to say: "just kidding boys!"

He certainly needs to think before speaking. This falls into the story David Hobbs was telling yesterday during the "race" where BE this past week criticized the USGP people for "underpromoting" the race. Of course it is only the 2nd or 3rd best attended GP on the tour and he was saying this in downtown Indianapolis surrounded by people wearing F1 team regalia.

This guy thinks he is more valuable to the world than he is it seems.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1334276)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
K-B I would disagree with you here. Based on the article, BE makes no attempt to say: "just kidding boys!"

Sexist maybe, John.

There's no evidence he's racist.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 10:01 (Ref:1334283)   #20
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
He is guilty only of failing to appreciate that Americans believe "irony" is something you* do to flatten clothes.

* I would have said "women" but fear that that may have been misinterpreted.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1334480)   #21
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
He is guilty only of failing to appreciate that Americans believe "irony" is something you* do to flatten clothes.

* I would have said "women" but fear that that may have been misinterpreted.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1334485)   #22
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
KB, it may be acceptable humor but not when a person in a position like Eccelstone makes such a comment. It simply is not going to help F1's cause and will only hurt it. Can you imagine a CEO of a "traditional" company, such as GM or Microsoft, making such a comment?

It is difficult to determine whether he was joking because we have not seen video footage of him and the article makes no comments regarding the context it was made in, other than that the Danica Patrick issue was raised. Right now it seems that he meant it (there are still many people with such views in the world. It is not inconceivable that Ecclestone is one of them) and it is telling that no apology has been issued thus far pointing out that he was merely joking.

At any rate, even if he was joking he, as F1's president, should not have made such a comment publicly.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1334549)   #23
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
KB, it may be acceptable humor but not when a person in a position like Eccelstone makes such a comment. It simply is not going to help F1's cause and will only hurt it. Can you imagine a CEO of a "traditional" company, such as GM or Microsoft, making such a comment?

It is difficult to determine whether he was joking because we have not seen video footage of him and the article makes no comments regarding the context it was made in, other than that the Danica Patrick issue was raised. Right now it seems that he meant it (there are still many people with such views in the world. It is not inconceivable that Ecclestone is one of them) and it is telling that no apology has been issued thus far pointing out that he was merely joking.

At any rate, even if he was joking he, as F1's president, should not have made such a comment publicly.
BE is no mere employed head of a public Company...he's is a self made man who was bold and smart enough to 'TAKE' control of F1 when no one else had the vision to.
BE didn't become successful or one of the wealthest men in the UK by saying things people want to hear!...Which doesn't make him wrong!

No one has proven yet that women have the physical requirements (neck) to withstand the G forces as regards to the braking and constant direction changes of modern F1, otherwise they would be participating already.
None of which detracts from DP's historic result or her sheer guts!
I've meet her loads of times, and would like to see her get a test at least...Barcelona would be a good place at the end of the season.
Old 20 Jun 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1334528)   #24
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tend to agree with VilleneuveTracy on this one. Although i don't believe that it is a major issue, i do think that anyone making recycled Bernard Manning jokes in this day and age shows themselves to be slightly out of touch and in possession of a rather woeful sense of humour
Old 20 Jun 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1334627)   #25
Formula1Fanatic
Rookie

England
Warrington
Formula1Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear.

I'm a fan of Eccelstone but he's hit own goal after own goal this weekend.

The only goal was seeing his gorgeous wife Wonder if she's with him for looks
Closed Thread