Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Sep 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1417282)   #1
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Klien any good?

Ok i admit he has shown well on occasion this year but bear in mind he is nearly two seasons into his career, he is with a team he knows inside out, the car is not to shabby at all and DC has outscored him 21 - 5, not sure about the qualifying stats but i would wager DC has the edge there also, is Klien any good? i am a long way from convinced.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1417283)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Imo, he deserves his seat. Don't forget, DC has raced 3 more races than Christian due to Liuzzi having 3 outings.

Christian seemed more impressive than DC, especially in quali at Brazil.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1417287)   #3
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Don't forget, DC has raced 3 more races than Christian due to Liuzzi having 3 outings.
4 outings.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1417286)   #4
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Yes Klien is bloody good. I recall Autosport once calling him 'the mighty Klien'! In his first year he was solid, and remember him overtaking Kimi in Bahrain twice and also overtaking Schuey?! This year he has come on leaps and bounds, and has done a very good job. I think he can hack it at F1.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1417297)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yes I think he is very good, and deserves his seat..
Old 26 Sep 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1417303)   #6
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not the best ever, but deserving of his seat.
The type of driver I point to whenever people start ranting about pay drivers.
If you were the boss, which would you pick - pay DC or get paid (lots) by Red Bull to run Klein?
Old 26 Sep 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1417307)   #7
jamesl
Racer

jamesl has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wanted to dislike him too, but he has done a good job and I hope he gets better. He deserves to be there next year, with Liuzzi in the junior team.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1417319)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Yes he is very good,representative fuel in qually and all that,Red Bull must be very happy,Blah Blah Blah.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1417331)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt Red Bull would give anyone money to run Klien - he isn't a Red Bull backed driver, and it's unlikely that he would have kept the drive if he wasn't a)already there and b)Austrian. I still feel that Liuzzi has a lot more potential overall, but Christian has exceeded expectations this year. We'll never known how much fuel he was running in Bahrain, but in Brazil he pitted after a few people and not significantly earlier than any of the guys who he suprisingly outqualified.

As for next year, should he be in teh 'senior' Red Bull team, or would his experience be well-used in leading the junior team, allowing Liuzzi to learn from DC? Brundle raised this question in the qualifying, implying that Dieter M was pondering the same matter.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 02:16 (Ref:1417520)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I doubt Red Bull would give anyone money to run Klien - he isn't a Red Bull backed driver, and it's unlikely that he would have kept the drive if he wasn't a)already there and b)Austrian.
Don't know about that. Didn't Red Bull cough up a not-inconsiderable amount of money to ensure he was in a Jaguar R4?
Old 27 Sep 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1417914)   #11
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I doubt Red Bull would give anyone money to run Klien - he isn't a Red Bull backed driver
Yes he is.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1417337)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think we could possibly see some switching about between the teams depending on circumstances.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1417371)   #13
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Last year was a year too soon for him. Ignore it. He is very good. He was good in F3. Had Red Bull let him test for a year then we'd be going on about a new talent this year. But then again had he tested for a year Jag would not have been embarrassed from a points perspective, therefore available for a song...[/conspiracy]
Old 26 Sep 2005, 22:03 (Ref:1417396)   #14
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As i said at the start of the thread i think he has shown well on occasion this year, Q in Brazil being a stand out, but i still have to look at the points return, surely a little bit dissapointing or there wouldn`t be rumours of DM looking at putting him in the junior team.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1417398)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the points return... Vitantonio's four races were in the early part when the RBR was more competitive compared to the rest of the field. Right now BAR and Sauber seem to have equaled them at least.

Liuzzi never outqualified DC, while Klien has done that 8 times.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 03:20 (Ref:1417532)   #16
F1racer
Rookie

Canada
F1racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
Well the points return... Vitantonio's four races were in the early part when the RBR was more competitive compared to the rest of the field. Right now BAR and Sauber seem to have equaled them at least.

Liuzzi never outqualified DC, while Klien has done that 8 times.
You forget that Liuzzi was the first man on track 2 times.

By the way Liuzzi was the first guy to beat DC on track. Imola 2005, VL 8th and DC 11th.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 05:21 (Ref:1417557)   #17
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CK deserves his seat, I think he has done well this season. Not Schumie material but a very decent driver. Red Bull could do a lot worse.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1418049)   #18
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1racer
You forget that Liuzzi was the first man on track 2 times.

By the way Liuzzi was the first guy to beat DC on track. Imola 2005, VL 8th and DC 11th.
True. Though Christian has also been amongst the early starters at times. Crux of the matter for me is that Liuzzi seems to be much more hyped than Christian, but I don't think there's that much (if anything) between the two.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 00:23 (Ref:1417473)   #19
EHS
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, Westchester, NY
EHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Klien's problem is that he drives for Red Bull.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 09:04 (Ref:1417687)   #20
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Klien surprised a lot of people last year, on paper he didn't deserve the Jaguar seat but throughout the year he showed flashes of promise, speed and some excellent race craft. Enough to warrant a second season anyway and I think he's delivered the goods this year.

He's one of those guys who never really shon until he got to F1, a rare breed these days.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1417961)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My apologies, you're both absolutely right. In effect he leap-frogged Liuzzi (who's been their coming man for some time) by getting into F1 while Tonio stayed in F3000 - they may have been trying to set him up for a fall (which didn't work), or help Tonio gain experience and ideally a title in F3000, or simply made inroads into the Jaguar team.