Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 10 Oct 2005, 00:19 (Ref:1428902)   #1
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Monoposto at Castle Combe

Any news from the races? I saw the results on MST website, but want to hear what happened behing the scenes.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 12:13 (Ref:1429523)   #2
Larry J-Croft
Rookie

England
Glastonbury
Larry J-Croft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy,

Took the TOMS out after major surgery and spun it at Quarry after 6 laps of practice and then nadgered the starter motor! First race was dry and I started from the pit lane as we had trouble starting - made up a few places but car went well. Second race was very - I mean very wet! The run up to Quarry was awesome - ie you couldn't even see Avon rise from 100yds. Once it setled down it was reasonable - I managed another spin at Camp and watched the rest of the race from the grass, but was very happy with car apart from a few niggles, the main one being getting it not to snap oversteer under power - but I have a good idea of what the problem is.
The ARPs were red flagged three times and they then abandoned their race - whereas the Monos were very well behaved!!!
Old 10 Oct 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1429530)   #3
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
Hi LJC, didn't you re-engineer the starter assembly to prevent this? Oh well, at least its getting there. What are you doing about the oversteer, dropping the rake a little?
Old 10 Oct 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1429553)   #4
Larry J-Croft
Rookie

England
Glastonbury
Starter was my fault - I am also fairly sure on the handling issue but will tell you in a less embarrasing public forum! (Sydney in 3 weeks)
Old 10 Oct 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1429658)   #5
halecmini
Racer

United Kingdom
worcs
halecmini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It pi**ed down! running on 5year old ff tyres didn't help my handling but i enjoyed it! Well done to Chris Woodhouse for his first race win he drove very well!

Dc
Old 10 Oct 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1429789)   #6
Raltracer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dartford, Kent
Raltracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rain does not stop a Ralt fest' at Combe ..

Ralt RT3's ran 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the hard rain in the 2nd Mono 2000 race at Castle Combe. A combination of experienced drivers and cars to suit conditions cocked a snoop at the later newer chassis. The joint age of the 3 cars together was around 86 years and the drivers some 158 years. The marshalling on the day was really excellent and a well behaved set of drivers allowed a full 15min race, which in such conditions was great.

Rgds Raltracer (rainmaster)
Old 10 Oct 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1430247)   #7
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raltracer
Ralt RT3's ran 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the hard rain in the 2nd Mono 2000 race at Castle Combe. A combination of experienced drivers and cars to suit conditions cocked a snoop at the later newer chassis. The joint age of the 3 cars together was around 86 years and the drivers some 158 years. The marshalling on the day was really excellent and a well behaved set of drivers allowed a full 15min race, which in such conditions was great.

Rgds Raltracer (rainmaster)
You seemed to have a good race, Alan. Thanks for the update on the exhaust!
Old 10 Oct 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1429920)   #8
Larry J-Croft
Rookie

England
Glastonbury
Or of course maybe the drivers of older cars have less imagination and more faith than us sprogs (don't ask me my age!!!). You certainly needed total faith around Quarry on the first lap.

On another aside - anyone know what has happened (or rather not happened) to the mono web site?
Old 10 Oct 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1430246)   #9
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry J-Croft
Or of course maybe the drivers of older cars have less imagination and more faith than us sprogs (don't ask me my age!!!). You certainly needed total faith around Quarry on the first lap.

On another aside - anyone know what has happened (or rather not happened) to the mono web site?
New rain tyres also go a long way to this 'faith'! The first time I changed to newer rain tyres (used F.Renault stuff), my laptimes dropped immediately by 4 secs.

Re the Mono website, I gave up visiting it, its normally at least 2 races out of date and pretty dull stuff, except the Startline.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 07:19 (Ref:1430437)   #10
Raltracer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dartford, Kent
Monoposto website

I too do not understand why the Mono website is not more regularly updated. I am aware the website is managed on an unpaid individuals time allocation but as the club relies on the website soley, apart from emails regarding entries, for updating members generally then the service needs to be better. I think it would bind the club together more if the website was revamped and updated weekly. Rgds Raltracer.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 07:25 (Ref:1430442)   #11
Raltracer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dartford, Kent
Combe Rain fest,

Yes Andy! I compromised my chances suffering with a misfire in qualifying and in the 1st race and then to compound I burnt the clutch out off the start so that I eventually set off behind the pace car after the start. .. The wet race was great but was too far behind after the first few laps to catch Francis Phillips esquire !

I just love driving in the rain and as long as I have got my wet set up in place its great .. Rgds Ralt Racer
Old 11 Oct 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1430891)   #12
jezza
Rookie

England
Stroud,Glos
jezza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at combe watching on saturday,you guys provided some great close racing cosidering the conditions. I couldn't believe how fast the cars were. In the mono 1200 Dave Cameron looked like he was enjoing himself even though he couldn't keep the car straight coming into tower a few times. Hoped you all enjoyed racing at combe and hope to see you next year.
There are some photos on my website (sorry about the quality on some of them, the rain got into the camera).
Old 12 Oct 2005, 00:33 (Ref:1431350)   #13
halecmini
Racer

United Kingdom
worcs
lol yeah it was good fun although my heart was in my mouth a few times... the only time the car didn't aquaplane was when it was sliding, come the striaght it wanted to go anywhere but the way i wanted it to go!

Dc
Old 12 Oct 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1431884)   #14
jezza
Rookie

England
Stroud,Glos
i was stood on the exit of tower and it was great viewing to watch you slide the car round the corner and down the straight. my heart would have been in my mouth aswell if i lost it going down hammerdown, lucky to go onto the infield.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1432215)   #15
halecmini
Racer

United Kingdom
worcs
lol good photos! is there any chance i could get some off you? do you sell them?

Dc
Old 13 Oct 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1432819)   #16
jezza
Rookie

England
Stroud,Glos
officially i am not alowed to sell them,but if you let me know which photos you want i can e-mail them to you.
or 2.let me know what photos you want printed and i could print them using my website hosts print service http://shop.fotopic.net/pg1.html

the photo link on my last post wasn't taken by me. it can be found on http://www.jpemotorsport.fotopic.net/

glad you liked them

www.castlecombe.photos.gb.com
Old 13 Oct 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1432991)   #17
Larry J-Croft
Rookie

England
Glastonbury
Hey slim - nice to hear from you. The FVL was good and I enjoyed it but I've got this ere TOMs now and thats a very different fettle of kish. Still it will keep me busy over the winter and now I think I've sussed why it was so much fun (?) at Combe after some winter testing I will be really looking forward to next year. The V8 is still going well by the way - but I still have the TR lap record at Combe in it.

Old 13 Oct 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1433099)   #18
Raltracer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dartford, Kent
flat out farr where you ?... from raltacer

hello christoff ... how are you have not seen you since your visit at siverstone .. when does that turbo fiesta come out to play then ?

alan
Old 13 Oct 2005, 18:32 (Ref:1432966)   #19
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Denham, Bedfordshire
Flat Out Farr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Larry, Ralt Racer could be your son!! (lol). Actually Larry, maybe the helicopters handled better in the wet! Joking apart, you have had some good results with the V-L.
Good luck.
So you have got the hang of driving single seaters now! bit different from a TR7V8
Old 17 Oct 2005, 08:41 (Ref:1435766)   #20
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Hi Alan,

been trying to get a new pedal box built as the existing one was rubbish, and, although the brakes on the front struts are the business(285 vents with 4 pots), trouble is the hydraulics were not as effective as they should have been.
Even greater problem has been that the person who builds good twin cylinder pedal boxes is banged out with work supplying various places like Rally Design, which thus means that I have to wait, and wait and wait. In fact the temptation to go and buy a TIG welder etc and start making them myself features highly at the minute!;

As the Gout has come back again, and I can't walk or drive properly, feel like I might as well pack this competing in and get a blue blazer and become a scrutineer!
Old 17 Oct 2005, 08:45 (Ref:1435770)   #21
Flat Out Farr
Racer

United Kingdom
Larry, Glad to hear the TR is being used properly; That was one awesome car. The power under one's right foot was incredible; spinning it on the exit of a corner, as you put your foot down, increased the amount of grey hair I acquired, and ensured a rapid trip to the bathroom afterwards! You did really well to get the good results you did with it! Good luck with the Toms.