Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 18 Oct 2005, 15:48 (Ref:1437058)   #1
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
whatapalaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marshalling in America

I am sure you knowledgable folk out there will be able to offer some help to me. Next year I am hoping to spend some of my hard earned redundancy pay on a trip to the USA and visit some friends in Alabama. I would love to see some racing whilst there, and if possible marshal. My daughter (currently assembly area) will just be 16, and she wants to marshal too. Is it possible for us to organise this? (I understand about the MSA, but I want to know if it's an idea to follow or forget). I am sure there are lots of tracks, and lots of types of racing, (even if we only watch), but where do we start? Any thoughts to share?
Old 18 Oct 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1437077)   #2
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatapalaver
I am sure you knowledgable folk out there will be able to offer some help to me. Next year I am hoping to spend some of my hard earned redundancy pay on a trip to the USA and visit some friends in Alabama. I would love to see some racing whilst there, and if possible marshal. My daughter (currently assembly area) will just be 16, and she wants to marshal too. Is it possible for us to organise this? (I understand about the MSA, but I want to know if it's an idea to follow or forget). I am sure there are lots of tracks, and lots of types of racing, (even if we only watch), but where do we start? Any thoughts to share?
If you're in Alabama, it's got to be Talledega. I'd get in contact with the track (Emergency Services Director) and offer your services on the 'Cleanup Trucks' for a NASCAR event. Assuming your Fire graded or similar experience, I'm sure you'd be able to convince them to let you get involved. Personally, I don't imagine a letter from RACMSA would be very impressive to them - I'd just deal direct. The events tend to start Monday, building up with support race series to the big one on Sunday. Try and be available for all the days to be more useful to them.
you might find you get rota'd on and off the truck - 1 hour on, 1 hour off etc - as they tend to have plenty of crew.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1437374)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
Personally, I don't imagine a letter from RACMSA would be very impressive to them - I'd just deal direct.

You CANNOT Marshal abroad without authorisation from the MSA
Old 18 Oct 2005, 23:46 (Ref:1437448)   #4
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Why not? What will you do, burn him at the stake when he returns?

Please see the information I posted on "Marshals Post" by clicking HERE and scrolling down the middle column to "Circuits in the US". The text of the opening paragraphs is shared with all the circuits.

"Rich D" is correct about the temporary membership as it is necessary in order to be covered by the SCCA insurance policy.

I know of one Marshal from the UK who will be at the Rolex 24 (Daytona) in JAN '06. Anyone else interested in working the Rolex 24 (26->29 JAN 06) or the Sebring 12hr (15->18 MAR 06) please PM.

I run the Race Control radio net for the 24hr and the back-up net for the 12hr.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 02:39 (Ref:1437535)   #5
NJDMONEY
Rookie

NJDMONEY has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
And people actually Marshal for this organization?
Old 19 Oct 2005, 06:25 (Ref:1437630)   #6
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have (several times)
Old 19 Oct 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1437907)   #7
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel
I have (several times)
I hope you will still be able to, after that admission.
We forrest dwellers must stick together!
Old 19 Oct 2005, 12:52 (Ref:1437914)   #8
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
I hope you will still be able to, after that admission.
We forrest dwellers must stick together!

I intend to be at Bristol and Charlotte next season, all being well.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1437158)   #9
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Rich D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a link to the SCCA regional clubs:

SCCA

Find the region you will be going to, and then you can find the tracks/clubs in that area. Look for a Flagging chief and there is your contact.

I have never worked in the US, but many poeple at our club have - it appears to be quite simple - contact the flag chief and they are usually very accomodation. SCCA membership is required fro insurance, but they run a temporary scheme where you get your money back if you dont' become a full member after a nominal perios of time.

From what I have heard, many SCCA areas train on the corner, and so probably will be able to accomodate you daughter - I know we accept 16 years olds in Canada at certain events.

And if you are ever in Canada, give us a look at Mosport, you will be more than welcome at any event.
Old 18 Oct 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1437360)   #10
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
Thanks folks.

I'll doubt the rest of the family will allow me the whole week, but we can try. I'll follow up your suggestions.

Deadsquirrel - I'm a Red badge with 15 years in. My friends over there maybe able to support me too.

Rich D - One day I'll head north...
Old 19 Oct 2005, 03:06 (Ref:1437547)   #11
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Interesting.... Does that mean that, as a Brit living in Canada, I needed to ask permission of the MSA to learn to marshal here? oooops......

SCCA require membership, and therefore issue a local license. Therefore when in the US you marshal as part of their group.

I'm pretty sure we just check licenses, not ask for authorisation letters (maybe GP is different, but it always will be!!)..

I always thought it was up to the local authority to say that.. i.e. I'd need a letter to work the British GP cos the MSA ask for it, but to work Sebring, I need an SCCA license. To work GP, my CASC license is valid.. etc etc etc

What my home association thinks to me only matters when I am at home, and playing in their kiddie pool.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 12:30 (Ref:1437902)   #12
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Oh ya - don't even think about marshalling at Watkins Glen, at least for a major event. Their organising group has this enlightened policy, that you have to work a number of lapping days/club days before they will consider you for one fo their major races. Makes it virtually impossible for a visiting marshal, unless you want to travel there for 3-4 weekends before the major event.
This year they refused almost 1000 days worth of top level open wheel experience (Champ Car/F1) from a group of Canadians who were going to travel to the IRL race....
(BTW, that is not the local SCCA group, but the track-specific group)
Old 19 Oct 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1437905)   #13
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
There are two sides to this issue, and both are correct.

If the local organisation are prepared to accept you as a club member, then you get yourself covered as a local marshal. I know, whilst I live in the UK, I am also a fully paid up marshal of the Kyalami Marshal Association (and have been since 2000), and therefore when I go out there, I am seen as a KMA member rather than a UK marshal.

BUT the reason why the MSA have the rule in place regarding authorising UK marshals visiting foreign circuits is because of the behaviour of a minority of marshals that in the past made out they were qualified far higher than they were actually licenced to, went visiting, and then caused problems that subsequently backfired on the face and reputation of the UK's MSA.

They are therefore trying to protect the image of all UK marshals that want to visit foreign circuits in the future by establishing contact with the governing body of the other country that the person in question is in fact qualified for the role they are applying for, and that they have not caused trouble in the past (there IS a blacklist held at Motorsport House).

Yes, it seems an unnecessary hurdle to overcome when you do keep your nose clean and do everything correctly and by the book, but as I said, it's a case of the minority in the past affecting the way things are done for the majority in the present and future.

Bottom line is to do everything by the book, cross the "t"s and dot the "i"s, and then have a great time and experience around the world.

Steve
Old 19 Oct 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1437908)   #14
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Thanks for the explanation Steve. Sounds like a sensible system -- but no-one seems to have told us! I know we use all kinds of visitng marshals, especially at our major events, but I know of no letters of authorisation being requested. I do know of polite enquiries being made when an unknown name crops up, but as far as I know nothing is mandatory.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1437992)   #15
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D
Thanks for the explanation Steve. Sounds like a sensible system -- but no-one seems to have told us! I know we use all kinds of visitng marshals, especially at our major events, but I know of no letters of authorisation being requested. I do know of polite enquiries being made when an unknown name crops up, but as far as I know nothing is mandatory.
Well, that's the system employed by the authorities in the UK, when liaising with the equivalents abroad. It's not a mandatory scheme worldwide, but seems a sensible thing to follow. The paperwork is dealt with by fax, etc and after that, the world's your oyster.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1438064)   #16
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Depending on where you will be in Alabama, would it be possible to make a trip to work a road course in Georgia? Road Atlanta has good racing.

And if you haven't marshalled in the US before, be prepared to do things you don't get to do in England. Many SCCA regions rotate jobs session by session fro club events, so you might do one session as comm, one as blue flag, one as yellow, one as response. Of course you can ask not to do a specific thing -- for instance, I often ask not to do response because I trip over my own feet and I'm small so don't have the leverage to push something as big as a Corvette. Other people get tongue-tied on comm so they ask to be exempted from that.

keke
just back from a windy weekend at T2 Laguna Seca
Old 21 Oct 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1440026)   #17
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I want to go to Laguna Seca next year for A1GP. Memo to self - must start investigating.

One point which could be a potential problem. I sent my upgrade card in to MSA (from trainee to certified marshal) a while ago (August). I haven't heard anything back from MSA but I have had an acknowledgement from the BMMC.
Could this be a problem?

PJ
Old 21 Oct 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1440130)   #18
ALFA ALFA
Rookie

ALFA ALFA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look at http://www.na-motorsports.com
This site if full of useful information on Tracks and Organizations.
Select 'Race Tracks' and you will find Road Courses, Oval Tracks,
Drag Strips and Kart Tracks. These are geographicaly subdivided
into various regions of the country. You can spend hours looking
at these pages - they include contacts for track office, hotels,
motels and places to eat as well as a 'hot lap' review. Sadly,
most organizations have not firmed up their 2006 schedules.
You might also want to check out www.barbermotorsports.com
This track is located near Birmingham (as in Alabama) and is mostly
used for Porsche Club events. In my experience, most SCCA Flag
Chiefs would be happy to have you as part of their crew.
Old 22 Oct 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1440739)   #19
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Hi Keke, thanks for your reply,

That sounds like a brilliant idea ... A1GP then Champ Cars. What could be better?

I own shares in Justin Wilson and will be visiting Mexico (along with some other share holders) in a couple of weeks for the final of this season. Previous share holders trips this year (not me though) have been to Toronto and another one (possibly Edmonton). Justin always seems to do well when we are there - we must be a good omen. I "met" one of the other people going on the trip at Brands Hatch at the A1GP but because everything was so busy, all we managed was me standing trackside on the start/finish straight and her on the spectator bank (~10 feet higher) and a shouted introduction.

I have been over to USA for motor-racing holidays in previous years and try to have two consecutive weekends (1999 = Milwauke Mile plus Canadian GP, 2002 (ish) = Miami Champ Cars + Nascars at Charlotte) but this will be this first time marshalling (this is my first full year). I can't wait already! Now I just have to consult the bank balance and make plans.

Sent you a PM.

PJ
Old 24 Oct 2005, 12:52 (Ref:1442107)   #20
Rich D
Racer

Canada
Acton, Ontario
Well, it is the Dark side at this time of the morning!
Old 19 Oct 2005, 16:27 (Ref:1438117)   #21
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i've done more high-profile races in the us than the uk. i used to get permission from the msa but once you get known by the local scca they take you on your past record with them. do try to get to road atlanta for petite le mans. i think that has been the highlight of my motorsport life so far. 3 very full days but boy,is it fun. plus the fried chicken dinner is wonderful. how about heading west? long beach is special, laguna has the corkscrew, vancouver has the friendliest marshals and portland is great. i bet once you travel to the us once, you'll be back! it's cheaper than you think.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1438369)   #22
whatapalaver
Racer

England
Nottingham
I was wondering about flying into Atlanta, so Road Atlanta is possible. The biggest problem is dates - the school year and exams are likely to force the timing. I may have to buy tickets before the race dates are published. I will fly mid-week to give me as many week-end as possible! At less jet lag only hits on the way home!

This will be my 3rd trip over the pond, but first with the idea of marshalling - family now at the right age! Everything is so much cheaper. I've not bought clothes here since and always buy an extra suitcase to bring the purchases home!
Old 20 Oct 2005, 01:47 (Ref:1438497)   #23
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We can hook you up with many race clubs, not just SCCA:
- most don't require membership
- most SCCA regions will sponsor you with a temporary membership that will allow unlicensed people to try their hand at marshalling
- if you have an MSA license, SCCA is actually required to allow you to work as we are part of the USA's ASN and have agreed to honor other ASN licenses. Unfortunately, most SCCA region officials don't know these details and it is much easier to get the temporary membership than fight volunteer officials.

There are three road courses in Georgia and, I believe, one just opened in Alabama. There are several other tracks you might be interested in around the southern states. I think Road Atlanta is a blast. Keep in mind while traveling though, that distances between tracks are much greater here than in the UK so you will have to make note of travel time.

We can hook you up with the local clubs so that even if there isn't something "big" happening at the track you can get in on some fun, local or vintage racing.

Oh, and SCCA does allow 16- and 17-year-olds to marshal on the banks provided you can give the registrar a permission slip signed by both parents or guardians. It should be downloadable from their website. www.scca.org

Last edited by blueflagger; 20 Oct 2005 at 01:48. Reason: [sp]
Old 20 Oct 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1438973)   #24
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To anyone who marshals abroad[U]

Any one who is a member of the BMMC is covered by the Club's personal accident insurance policy while officiating at an event approved by that country's ASN, provided they have informed George Copeland, BMMC National Treasurer in advance and in writing.

I see no harm in informing the MSA of your intentions. This allows the MSA to answer any question they might receive about your participation abroad and back up details of any qualification you hold. Who knows, if the MSA sees an increase in marshals performing abroad, they might consider extending their personal accident insurance, just as the Marshals' Club did many years ago. The MSA p.a cover is, of course, quite substantial.
Old 21 Oct 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1440168)   #25
NJDMONEY
Rookie

NJDMONEY has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Considering the the oft-reminded lack of Marshals in England, I don't think any club is in a position to say when and where a guy can or can't Marshal, outside of the club.