Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 24 Oct 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1442240)   #1
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Evening racing

I'm hypothosising about running evening races at Silverstone on one of the bigger layouts - International or GP. One of the main stubbling blocks would seem getting enough marshals. I believe there's IIRC of 25 posts on the International circuit; don't know how many more on the GP. Do you reckon I've any chance of getting suitable marshal cover on a Friday or Saturday evening?
Old 24 Oct 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1442266)   #2
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Graeme,

For a Saturday evening you may get enough but not for a week day evening including Friday as most of us work and can not get the time off.

I for one like evening races but not on top of a normal days meeting unless it is for for thing special or different. After being on post for nine hours and after signing on at 0800, at 1800 I just wnat to get a beer or two and something to eat. But if events start time was moved back four or five hours with the races after 1800 I'll think about doing it.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1442338)   #3
jcbsrule
Rookie

jcbsrule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot would depend on what sort of race's you intended to run and grid sizes.
There area group of us who do all Slvers meetings am sure most of us would help you out
Old 24 Oct 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1442395)   #4
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbsrule
A lot would depend on what sort of race's you intended to run and grid sizes.
Caterhams - three races - and packed to the gills grids (44?). Maybe another race as well?

I agree, Andrew - it couldn't be after another race with the same marshals - 12 hours or so on post
Old 24 Oct 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1442463)   #5
PapaJuliet
Racer

England
Midlands
PapaJuliet has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme
I agree, Andrew - it couldn't be after another race with the same marshals - 12 hours or so on post
You're not expecting the marshals to race as well? On foot round the GP circuit? It won't be a very exciting race.

Seriously, though, just some tiny indication that "the organisers" are not taking us for granted helps. As far as I am concerned, asking our opinions is a very good start.

PJ
Old 24 Oct 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1442343)   #6
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Nick, would very much depend on what was racing & which club was organising it, or not as the case may be.
Old 24 Oct 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1442517)   #7
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be up for it, how many more do you need!

But as said, not on the friday
Old 24 Oct 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1442621)   #8
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you considered making it part a social event where drivers and marshals could get together before and after the meeting?
Old 25 Oct 2005, 06:57 (Ref:1442785)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Graeme, in the first instance you might be wise to run this past Pam Dearn as she is the secretary for the BRDC Marshals Club who officiate at all Silverstone meetings. You would need to get the Silverstone guys and girls on side first and then make up the shortfall by using amsrahsl from outside Silverstone. This is mainly because you would need the services of the Silverstone IO's and JCB guys to have the meeting run really smoothly.

I'm not knocking the skills of other circuits marshals before anyone jumps down my throat, but most of you will appreciate what I mean here.
Old 25 Oct 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1443231)   #10
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Graeme, in the first instance you might be wise to run this past Pam Dearn as she is the secretary for the BRDC Marshals Club who officiate at all Silverstone meetings. You would need to get the Silverstone guys and girls on side first and then make up the shortfall by using amsrahsl from outside Silverstone. This is mainly because you would need the services of the Silverstone IO's and JCB guys to have the meeting run really smoothly.

I'm not knocking the skills of other circuits marshals before anyone jumps down my throat, but most of you will appreciate what I mean here.
I love countdown!!!

Give me a JCB, I'll show you how it's done!!!

Lee
Old 25 Oct 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1443240)   #11
jcbsrule
Rookie

jcbsrule should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's enough trouble there with ! guy from Stroud driving a jcb ( they can't undertsand what I say) without you joining in
Old 25 Oct 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1443252)   #12
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I drive the things all day i could show them a trick or two
Old 27 Oct 2005, 18:34 (Ref:1445350)   #13
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
We could do a red arrows type display in the lunch break!!!
Old 27 Oct 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1445402)   #14
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Combe Marshal. "Lunch Break" How do you get one of those in an "Evening Meeting" Think you have lost the Thread?
Old 31 Oct 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1448347)   #15
Magnet
Racer

Ireland
Anglesey, North Wales
Magnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock
Sorry Combe Marshal. "Lunch Break" How do you get one of those in an "Evening Meeting" Think you have lost the Thread?
How do you get a lunch break at a lot of daylight meeting nowadays?....sorry for the cynicism but some circuits/clubs are increasingly taking the and we must not allow an erosion of what is reasonable!!
Old 27 Oct 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1445428)   #16
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Perhaps it should be Supper Break!
Old 28 Oct 2005, 07:50 (Ref:1445775)   #17
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Night Cap?
Old 31 Oct 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1448376)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From a practical point of view, you might struggle - I would suggest you need to do some thorough research. I wouldn't take time off work for an evening race, and I'm assuming qualifying etc would need to run earlier in the day? Even if it were just the later session, I'm 1-1½ hours from most circuits, add in signing on time, changing, slower journeys due to works traffic, I doubt a start before 8:30pm would be possible for me to get to, and having done a day's work first, I'm not sure I'd want to. I'm fairly sure my wife wouldn't be too happy about it either!

Would it be worth running a poll to see how many of this site would be willing to turn out? That would not be a representative sample, but could give a clue as to the potential numbers.