Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 27 Apr 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1596339)   #1
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Limerick, Ireland

The limerick circuit in Ireland, Opened In 1982, But then Closed Back Down again because of a serious incedent in a minor F2 Race, Involving Juaque Abou (who was later to be killed at Marina, See thread named Marina) Jhonothan Palmer and a Quick Scotsman, Peter Luss. The cars were Coming up to the tight But fast Forrest Bend, Leader, Jhonothan Palmer, Blows his engine, Covering the Track with Smoke and Oil, Juaque Abou Brakes Very hard but Peter Luss Keeps accelerating, having poor knoledge of the track, He goes over the back of Abou, Over the Barrier and into the trees on the outside of the track, the car catches fire and all the trees round him catch fire to. Luss was trapped and killed. After this the track was Closed down as the owners did not have enough money to make the track safer.

In 2002 the track was bought by a Canadian Billionare who liked motor racing, he brought the track up to FIA Grade 2 standard and it has been operating since then.

Comments Please! Edits Welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: png hill83.PNG (29.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: png hill.PNG (30.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 27 Apr 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1596377)   #2
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
V8_TURBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think you told me about this before. I like the tracks though! i think that i prefer the erlier one though. because of the accident!
Old 27 Apr 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1596477)   #3
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah, I told you about that earlier today.
Old 27 Apr 2006, 23:42 (Ref:1596609)   #4
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
The track doesnt seem safer at tall.
Old 28 Apr 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1597049)   #5
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattA1
The track doesnt seem safer at tall.
there would be more catch fencing and tyre barriers and other stuff like that.
Old 28 Apr 2006, 07:11 (Ref:1596721)   #6
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool track. Both of them. The newer one doesn't look safer than it's predecesor, though.
Old 28 Apr 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1596859)   #7
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good job Nicky, great link up with Marina there. Nice job, it's a cool circuit as well!
Old 28 Apr 2006, 19:56 (Ref:1597141)   #8
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooooo! Catch fencing is evil. It might slow cars down but it can have very bad effects on everything around it including the driver. Helmuth Koenigg got decapitated at Watkins Glen in the 70's by catch fencing. Go for a proper tyre barrier & runoff to improve safety.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 15 May 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1610733)   #9
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysfirst
Helmuth Koenigg got decapitated at Watkins Glen in the 70's by catch fencing.
what track was that at because i seen a very nasty crash involving catch fencing on Google Video.
Old 29 Apr 2006, 10:27 (Ref:1597436)   #10
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Catch fencing? They abandoned those in the early 80s, didn't they?
Old 29 Apr 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1597437)   #11
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
sorry, it just kind of sliped oot of me mouth, or should I say fingers.
Old 29 Apr 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1597439)   #12
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Old 29 Apr 2006, 15:33 (Ref:1597592)   #13
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
It's like this track is cursed......you race on it ........... you die!
Old 29 Apr 2006, 17:20 (Ref:1597624)   #14
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Catch fencing went out in the early 80's - I'm not sure about Koening but Reutemann nearly strangled on it during quali at Kyalami in 81...and it was a non-championship event!!
Old 29 Apr 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1597660)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought Koenigg was decapitated by a barrier he went under.....

But yes, catch fencing was dangerous and will never see the light of day in most racing thankfully, if any at all.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 29 Apr 2006 at 20:42. Reason: Sneaky spelling corrections!
Old 29 Apr 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1597663)   #16
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
They still use it on ovals.
Old 29 Apr 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1597705)   #17
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
They still use it on ovals.
If by that you mean the rigid fencing directly above the wall, then technically that's called a debris fence.

Catch fencing was like rows of garden fence, designed to slow a car as the fence uprooted from the ground...problem was it had a nasty habit of wrapping around the car with the result that drivers at best couldn't get out and worst well....
Old 30 Apr 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1598333)   #18
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Depnding on who you talk to, you will get two different answers for 'catch fencing,' the oval fans version, and the road-racing fans version. I myself am an enthusiest(sp) of both types of racing, and even though I'm only sixteen, classic, '...And They Walked Away' tapes have taught me about both.

Road racing fan version:

Oval fan version:
Old 29 Apr 2006, 19:17 (Ref:1597685)   #19
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knowesly, sadly what you say about Koenigg is indeed true.
Old 1 May 2006, 08:20 (Ref:1598572)   #20
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first looks like the stuf used on building sites, and also we once tied this kid to a tree all day at school with that stuff..

Was the catch fencing those wooden posts with wire connected to each one that used to be on the exit of corners? nasty stuff that.
Old 1 May 2006, 09:38 (Ref:1598608)   #21
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
The first looks like the stuf used on building sites, and also we once tied this kid to a tree all day at school with that stuff
JUST BECAUSE HE ASKED YOU TO OR BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FUN TO TIE SOMEBODY TO A TREE?
Old 3 May 2006, 09:21 (Ref:1599916)   #22
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8_TURBO
JUST BECAUSE HE ASKED YOU TO OR BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FUN TO TIE SOMEBODY TO A TREE?
Yep, it was. Please, no caps.
Old 1 May 2006, 11:17 (Ref:1598673)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
The first looks like the stuf used on building sites, and also we once tied this kid to a tree all day at school with that stuff..

Was the catch fencing those wooden posts with wire connected to each one that used to be on the exit of corners? nasty stuff that.
Yes, the catch fencing used on race tracks was far more sturdy and unforgiving.

Big wooden poles and metal meshing....hence it was possible to be trapped by it, strangled by it, bashed on the head by it etc....

That orange stuff is pretty flimsy and a car would tear right through it....it's usually used to line corners/spectator areas on rally stages.

V8_TURBO: there is no need to SHOUT.
Old 1 May 2006, 09:34 (Ref:1598606)   #24
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
i suppose that it is....that was probably the same stuff that decapitated Koenigg.
Old 1 May 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1598913)   #25
V8_TURBO
Veteran

MagnetON
Glasgow
okay but the orange stuff is also to slow the cars down as it uproots from the ground......even if it does tear.