Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 16 Jul 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1657655)   #1
crgmichael
Rookie

crgmichael should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F Ford vs Formula5

im deciding which class to go into for budget wise and best value,enjoyment for money.could any1 direct me in the right way both would be contested in ireland
Old 16 Jul 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1657724)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you're new to racing then do formula Vee, they are a nice bunch of guys and the racing is very close. Formula Ford is expensive and while the grids are getting bigger again it's generally blokes with a bit of experience that are in it.

Formula 5 I don't see going anywhere fast, not until there's a lot of them and quite frankly for a comparative class Formula Sheane is better and much more established with good sized grids.

So, if you're new then do a year or two in Vee, if you're not new then think about Sheane.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1657826)   #3
crgmichael
Rookie

what chassis would you recomend ,leastone or sheane do you know where i could test a vee or f5 just to see which i would prefer,and roughly how much a test costs? Thanks in advance
Old 16 Jul 2006, 22:21 (Ref:1657832)   #4
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You could go to a test day and talk to people, you should be able to find out who's got what and who's willing to rent out. Generally a good way to get contacts. I'm usually getting people OUT the cars than into them
Old 19 Jul 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1660010)   #5
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First tip, Listen to MagnetON

Hi crgmichael,
I have joined the Formula Vee ranks this year and am nicly proping up the back of the grid.(someone has to besides I get a great view of the racing!).
I'm loving every minute of it.
If your thinking of getting into racing in ireland, I'd agree with MagnetON 100% about FFord and F5.
Vee is the way to go budget wise, Sheane or leastone is your chioce, usually dictated by what is on sale and what sort of cash you have at the time!

I would talk to David Sheane (Sheane-rover and Shean Vee builder)
And Paul Heavey (Leastone Vee builder and F5 man)
They would be able to tell you prices for a test session in and let you know who might be renting out cars.
http://www.formulasheane.ie/
And
http://www.leastoneracing.com/

I dont know if you have a licence and all that yet but talk to motorsport ireland (web site easy to find).
Either way if your going to get into it one of teh best things to do is come to teh nest race meeting and chat to people with racing cars in the class you are thinking of.
Feel free to PM me with any questions, I dont know much but starting from scratch is fresh in my mind!

Also MagnetON, Me and the silver bullit will be out next time at Kirky and with an actual 3rd gear this time so I might make it around the hairpin this time.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 15:46 (Ref:1660055)   #6
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is F5? Is that something new in Ireland? Only one I know about is for boats!
Old 19 Jul 2006, 15:59 (Ref:1660072)   #7
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
It's a New category here that is running with the libre at the moment I think. I'm not sure but I think it's eligble under formula 4 rules in england.
Slicks and wings on a bike engine, developed by Leastone I think.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1660225)   #8
SCOBER11
Racer

SCOBER11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not knocking Fvee or anything i'm sure those lads have a great time,friendly etc etc but there seems to be an illussion out there that F ford is a hugely expensive catagory to race in in Ireland, not the case in my opinion. Its the same old story, how much do you want to spend??

True to run at the sharp end in FF you need to increase your budget a little but this is true in any class isn't it?

Secondly the ff drivers have introduced a wave of measures to to keep costs down this season and it is working.

Thirdly you can hop on a boat a drive your ff in any country in Europe competing against similar machinary. (can irish spec vee's offer this or f sheane).F fords tend to hold there value longer.

Finally as a piece of advice, buy a car thats running and make sure you see it racing a couple of times first because if you buy something cheap thats falling around at the back missing and farting it will break your heart!
Old 19 Jul 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1660243)   #9
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely one of the benefits of racing in Formula Ford is precisely that you will be racing against guys 'with a bit of experience'. Aren't they the best people to learn from?
Old 20 Jul 2006, 00:53 (Ref:1660423)   #10
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Surely one of the benefits of racing in Formula Ford is precisely that you will be racing against guys 'with a bit of experience'. Aren't they the best people to learn from?
That bit of experience can be found in Vee too. Some very experienced racers there. In fact just as experienced. Cost is the issue. I love FFord, have been an dedicated spectator here and abroad. But there are cost differences. I agree with Scober, see it run , you'll have a much better Idea what you are getting into, also expect it to break your heart anyway, it's motorsport after all. Al the pleasure and all the pain.
Old 20 Jul 2006, 08:09 (Ref:1660594)   #11
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
I also believe that the original "vision" for F5 was that they came with interchangable bodywork, "single seater, slicks and wings" and also a "sportscar" bodywork with enclosed wheels. Thus making it eligible for "closed wheel libre" as well.

I remember this because we had a nice debate on post about "what if you're entered in open wheel and your mate is entered in closed wheel and you stuff it" and during this debate an F5 (I think it was the only one built at the time) came in backwards and destroyed the rear-end. (Fishermans, Kirkistown)

I also remember this F5 had the same problem we saw recently with oil leakage.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1662297)   #12
crgmichael
Rookie

does any one know what a front runner budget is for f5 yet