Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Mar 2007, 01:22 (Ref:1857566)   #1
skaife2
Rookie

Australia
melbourne
skaife2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Points System

I watch every race and I think the new points system is dissapointing . now when a car can't score points what is the point in racing. teams are going to put the car in the garage. I think the points should go down to position twenty.

first position should get 160 points and be 8 points apart to 10 and 10 to 15 4 points apart and 15 to 20 2 pooints apart.

160 152 144 136 128 120 112 104 96 88 84 80 76 72 68 66 64 62 60 58
Old 4 Mar 2007, 01:37 (Ref:1857578)   #2
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not again. Reckon it's fine as is. If you don't finish in the top half of the field, you shouldn't be getting points.

Things like Jason Richards at Bathurst might not happen as well. By that I mean, taking out a clearly unsafe car onto the circuit with 3 laps to go and pranging it, all for the sake of a few points.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 4 Mar 2007, 02:18 (Ref:1857594)   #3
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The cars will stay on track for their sponsors.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 02:36 (Ref:1857597)   #4
Pudlea
Rookie

Australia
Gold Coast
Pudlea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No matter what points system is used, there is always going to be some people who do not like it. IMO any points system that encourages passing, and there-fore more action, is better than one that promotes single file racing because the points gain is not worth it.
Old 21 May 2007, 06:25 (Ref:1917647)   #5
gcalvert
Rookie

Australia
Australia
gcalvert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudlea
No matter what points system is used, there is always going to be some people who do not like it. IMO any points system that encourages passing, and there-fore more action, is better than one that promotes single file racing because the points gain is not worth it.
Spot on. If you want real racing then we should have an F1 style system. Consistency is worth nothing in the F1 points system, only winning (even 2nd is a poor cousin). Do not think that F1 is boring because of the points (thats the fault of the technical regulations). In what are very evenly matched cars in performance terms (despite what eveyone likes to posture) this type of points system will make people desperate to pass, very desperate to the point of a few more push off's and drive throughs (which would get me on another wagon as to why the racing is not racing but a conga).
Old 21 May 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1917747)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcalvert
Spot on. If you want real racing then we should have an F1 style system. Consistency is worth nothing in the F1 points system, only winning (even 2nd is a poor cousin). Do not think that F1 is boring because of the points (thats the fault of the technical regulations). In what are very evenly matched cars in performance terms (despite what eveyone likes to posture) this type of points system will make people desperate to pass, very desperate to the point of a few more push off's and drive throughs (which would get me on another wagon as to why the racing is not racing but a conga).

that would be the same F1 system where a guy who hasnt won a race is leading the championship. interesting

I think the point system is about right Garths problem is its first or nothing ( actually Garths problem is that he has a crap car controller, surely its time to get some pit strategy) Rick is constantly in the top 3, where as Gt has had a number of 4ths and a tenth , he ended with an average result at Clipsal
Old 21 May 2007, 11:04 (Ref:1917864)   #7
gcalvert
Rookie

Australia
Australia
gcalvert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
that would be the same F1 system where a guy who hasnt won a race is leading the championship. interesting
Absolutely, and if he doesn't start winning races the likelyhood of him winning the championship is remote because others will win and bag the big points on offer.

I agree Garth is all or nothing, I am note sure that I actually see that as a problem though. Racing is about winning as i see it.
Old 17 Jun 2007, 05:20 (Ref:1939395)   #8
v8smoker
Racer

Bahrain
tent
v8smoker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar

I think the point system is about right Garths problem is its first or nothing ( actually Garths problem is that he has a crap car controller, surely its time to get some pit strategy) Rick is constantly in the top 3, where as Gt has had a number of 4ths and a tenth , he ended with an average result at Clipsal

News update guy leading F1 championship has one a race
Old 4 Mar 2007, 04:38 (Ref:1857637)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by James63
The cars will stay on track for their sponsors.
Complete waste of time to accumulate points

How many teams will leave the car in the garage as there is no benefit in dragging a sick car home?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 4 Mar 2007, 03:10 (Ref:1857614)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Only the top 8 get points in F1 - you don't see 12 cars pulling out with 5 laps to go do you?

Ridiculous argument - teams spend millions on getting to the race, they're not just going to pull out unless there are extenuating circumstances - such as Will Davison's yesterday.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 04:45 (Ref:1857641)   #11
DarthFalcon
Racer

Australia
Yavin
DarthFalcon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or waste miles on tyres they could use in race 2...
Old 4 Mar 2007, 06:02 (Ref:1857658)   #12
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How can a 2nd & 3rd placing get beat by a 1st & 4th in this points system.Please Explain.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 4 Mar 2007, 08:38 (Ref:1857737)   #13
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
How can a 2nd & 3rd placing get beat by a 1st & 4th in this points system.Please Explain.
That my friend is the biggest argument FOR the new points system.

Rick Kelly (1st and 4th) gets more points than James Courtney (2nd and 3rd)

Hallelujah!!!!!!

A points system that rewards winning over consistency..........

Last edited by Average Punter; 4 Mar 2007 at 08:40.
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 4 Mar 2007, 09:44 (Ref:1857776)   #14
Venom XR
Racer

Australia
Venom XR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter

Hallelujah!!!!!!

I agree!
Old 5 Mar 2007, 23:21 (Ref:1859277)   #15
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter

Hallelujah!!!!!!

Thats what I thought on Sunday too, great isn't it. Winning really is rewarded.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 06:13 (Ref:1857661)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So the unofficial points now are:

T.Kelly 66
R.Kelly 58
Courtney 55
Whincup 45
Ingall 37
Johnson 31
Tander 30
S.Richards 24
Winterbottom 20
Skaife 21
Bright 17
Murphy 16
Lowndes 15
Davison 13
Holdsworth 8
Canto 8
J.Richards 6
Bargwanna 3
McConville 3

... everyone else is on zero
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 4 Mar 2007, 06:16 (Ref:1857664)   #17
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
this is the dumb class I've ever seen
Tk finish's with more points but Rick is the champ and winner ...what a joke ... why even race on saturday just quali and race on sunday the sat results is just a long shoot out for pole

Todd is the clear winner
Old 4 Mar 2007, 06:20 (Ref:1857666)   #18
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webber
Tk finish's with more points but Rick is the champ and winner ...what a joke ... why even race on saturday just quali and race on sunday the sat results is just a long shoot out for pole

Todd is the clear winner
Why Mark, your hero won the weekend Crash Bandicoot. And you drive a FORD.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 4 Mar 2007, 06:52 (Ref:1857679)   #19
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Only the top 8 get points in F1 - you don't see 12 cars pulling out with 5 laps to go do you?

Ridiculous argument - teams spend millions on getting to the race, they're not just going to pull out unless there are extenuating circumstances - such as Will Davison's yesterday.
I know what you're saying, but F1 is a bit different because the prize money is divided up depending on position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webber

Todd is the clear winner
Nothing new about that, its been that way for a long time.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 06:25 (Ref:1857674)   #20
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
right is right TSR and the system is not right.
I'm JC all the way as YOU know . No I don't drive a ford I RACE one
Old 4 Mar 2007, 07:11 (Ref:1857682)   #21
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the three top point scorers should be on the podium for the weekend, not just the top three from Sunday. Although you could end up with someone on the podium from outside the top three in both races which would also be dumb.

BUT, in any case, the championship points to my mind look right. Those who did well gather good points, and those who don't miss out.

It gives much greater incentive to push hard for spots, as Rick Kelly did carving his way from 14th to 4th, and then go for the win today. Also the top five or six guys were going it at hammer and tong all the way to the finish line to grab thos big points.

It will be very interesting to see how it pans out through the year, but from todays points results it looks like a good system.

I figure it this way. The only points we care about at the end of the year are the first few, and if you can't grab at least a few points throughout the year, maybe you don't deserve to be there!
Old 4 Mar 2007, 07:15 (Ref:1857683)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Sayonara then to PWR, BJR, PMM, Perkins, PCR, RNR, one of Britek's, one of WPS's.... most with sponsors of significant scale...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 4 Mar 2007, 08:02 (Ref:1857726)   #23
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Sayonara then to PWR, BJR, PMM, Perkins, PCR, RNR, one of Britek's, one of WPS's.... most with sponsors of significant scale...
Perhaps they should get faster drivers then ...

If you want to be an uncompetitive trundler, you don't deserve significant sponsorship .. and GTR, again I ask the question ... do you think all sponsors are that stupid to think that getting 18 points for finishing 57th is worth it? That argument is LAME. If it doesnt fit with their marketing mix and they don't see the reward in some way (exposure, PR, events, hospitality etc) they WILL NOT be in it anyway.

Half the field is still too many points paying positions but it is way better than before.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 08:38 (Ref:1857736)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
Perhaps they should get faster drivers then ...

If you want to be an uncompetitive trundler, you don't deserve significant sponsorship .. and GTR, again I ask the question ... do you think all sponsors are that stupid to think that getting 18 points for finishing 57th is worth it? That argument is LAME. If it doesnt fit with their marketing mix and they don't see the reward in some way (exposure, PR, events, hospitality etc) they WILL NOT be in it anyway.

Half the field is still too many points paying positions but it is way better than before.
Perhaps we should review this after Perth then, if this event is an oddball one off....

.. and see how many factory backed cars with significant commercial sponsorship are literally pointless after 2 rounds.

Are all the people on the list without any points from teams of no repute, or are incapable of being inside the top 15? I didnt think so.. however given that they didnt get any points this weekend, arguably they shouldnt have bothered showing up...

The concern centres mainly around whether the sponsor is happy to have their multi million dollar investment on zero points, while the series leader is a zillion miles (infinity in comparison) up the road compared to them

So is someone like Jason Bargwanna who is on 3 points, 12 times more useless than the race winner?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 4 Mar 2007, 08:54 (Ref:1857754)   #25
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
The concern centres mainly around whether the sponsor is happy to have their multi million dollar investment on zero points, while the series leader is a zillion miles (infinity in comparison) up the road compared to them
I shaving 2,358,650 points vs 11,548,720 points really any different?

If I was Team X on zero I'd be going back to the sponsor asking for more dosh to help get those hard earned points!

and just because you have a handfull of points does your sponsor believe you will actuall catch them.

Being serious though for a sec, when I said if people have no points maybe they shouldn't be there, was if they have no points at years end.