Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Dec 2004, 14:02 (Ref:1181091)   #1
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motors Legend Worst commentary ever?

If you have Motors TV take a look at the current episode of Motors Legend running. It covers the 1980 F1 season from the French angle and has the worse commentary ever - the bloke apologises a couple of times and keeps referring to Nelson Picket. Why couldnt they have got Martin Haven or even Carlton Kirby in instead? Its horrific!
Old 16 Dec 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1181096)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!

Perhaps James Allen isn't that bad after all.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 14:13 (Ref:1181103)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you just could all understand what the heck the italian commentators say...
Old 16 Dec 2004, 15:29 (Ref:1181136)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must be the same guy who could not pronounce 'Pace' in previous episodes? Its a french program that looses something in the translation. I wondered what a 'Delta Plane' was until I realised he meant what we call a Hang glider.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 15:45 (Ref:1181146)   #5
Barbazza
Racer

Barbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBarbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motor has the funniest commentary going, particularly the ones that are obviously translated directly from French. You have to wonder why they don't at least read through the stuff first. It sounds very silly when an obvious Englishman is coming out with some of this stuff. It's hilarious on 3D Motors, their computer game show - worth a watch just for the bizarre commentary.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 16:10 (Ref:1181165)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When I watched the 1979 coverege I was deeply disapointed, it was that bad, that's why I didn't even bother to watch the '80 season review.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 16:36 (Ref:1181195)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Must be the same guy who could not pronounce 'Pace' in previous episodes? Its a french program that looses something in the translation. I wondered what a 'Delta Plane' was until I realised he meant what we call a Hang glider.

I know the guy you mean , he's the one who does the links between programmes too - and its not him, this new geezers even worse - I mean how cheap are they that they have to do it in one take? So the guy has to say "sorry" when he screws up! Rather than start again.

Still on the upside its free, and you get a French view as opposed to the one I remember from Autospurt etc which was naturally pro-Brit in the Williams vs the Frogs wars. You also get to see the beginings of Happy Jacques comb-over, which is interesting. What price Laffite on the Northern Comedy Circuit soon, telling jokes about his Mother-in-law ?
Old 16 Dec 2004, 17:10 (Ref:1181222)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How do you get Motors TV for free in the UK?
Old 16 Dec 2004, 17:29 (Ref:1181233)   #9
danieljboys
Racer

United Kingdom
Aldershot, Hampshire
danieljboys should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try:
www.freesatfromsky.co.uk

It lists Motors as one of the channels. It is a non-subscription package from Sky TV, their version of Freeview. However, the rest of the channels don't look particularly appealing and I'd be buying it purely for Motors! I want to get it as long as they don't decide to switch Motors off for whatever reason!
Old 16 Dec 2004, 17:40 (Ref:1181237)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ta for that. I've already got all the free channels without a box or dish. Hey ho.

And now......................................................... Back to the thread.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 19:19 (Ref:1181306)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OR ....move your dish to 13 degrees east ....as i think Motors TV is there free to air ...and has nothing to do with sky at all
Old 16 Dec 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1181308)   #12
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He wasn't much better at pronouncing Reutemann either.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 19:23 (Ref:1181313)   #13
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it the same guy who used to do DTM when Motors tv first got the rights. The one who always refers to "Metcedes" instead of Mercedes and sounds like he's reading it badly from a script.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 19:26 (Ref:1181315)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a terrible guy did Dallara Nissan highlights a few weeks back - very nasal, intonation all wrong.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 21:26 (Ref:1181393)   #15
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by esorniloc
He wasn't much better at pronouncing Reutemann either.
You mean "that devil" Reuteman? Strange bit of translation that, were they really comparing Williams and their drivers to Satan constantly in that commentary? Predates Schumacher and Ross Brawn by years for me.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 21:28 (Ref:1181394)   #16
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Sorry if I offended any Satanists there, to clarify I actually regard the Cheating German and his brethren as the spawn of Satan.

Just wanted to clear that up :-P
Old 16 Dec 2004, 22:00 (Ref:1181415)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sure it is all just lost in translation, which your post could have been until then...
Old 17 Dec 2004, 03:32 (Ref:1181566)   #18
L-B
Racer

Scotland
Fort William, Scotland
L-B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I was in stitches over the devil bits. The guy is obviously French even though he is doing the talkover in English, In france Piquet would be Picket (I think) hence the 'weird' pronounciation. Hell its still better than the All Americn Crashes Video from the late 80's with that well known Israeli driver Keke Rosenburg. i must find that again it had loads of mistakes in it.

Oh and we can hardly talk Ayrton's name was pronounced wrong from the start of his career, and still is when he is mentioned.
Old 20 Dec 2004, 19:25 (Ref:1184250)   #19
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OT I know, but does anyone remember some American chap who used to commentate on DTM for MotorsTV? I taped Donington because I was there, got home, eagerly rewound the tape and pressed play to be greeted by this clown, was he called something like Miltz Fritzwater??

A shame about the quality of the nostalgia bits on MotorsTV, the footage is actually very good, if only I was fluent in French to understand Patrick Tambay!