Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 6 Jun 2006, 11:47 (Ref:1628425)   #1
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alternative GP Weekend

Alternative GP Weekend, what will you be doing.

Believe it or not there are actually some of us that for whatever reason have voted with their feet and decided not to Marshal the GP, so despite there being footy on telly, what will you be doing this weekend that you think is more entertaining than watching FI. For me it is a toss up between cleaning out the hamsters cage or washing the whippet down, so how about you?

Balders
Old 6 Jun 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1628433)   #2
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
My weekend is packing the car, then catching the Poole-Cherbourg ferry enroute to Le Mans.

Poste 106 here we come!!!!

Steve
Old 6 Jun 2006, 11:58 (Ref:1628437)   #3
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will be at the GP, but if I wasn't there I would be at Lydden Hill for the BARC South Eastern Classic meeting, which with nearly every type of tin top I can think of will be a great meeting!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 12:05 (Ref:1628443)   #4
Alan Brown
Racer

Alan Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 meetings in Kent

I have a choice of 750MC at Brands Hatch or BARC at Lydden. In both cases a friendly atmosphere with no posers. No traffic jams are predicted. I expect to spend one day at each.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1628465)   #5
PipSqueak111
Racer

England
Deepest, darkest Devon
PipSqueak111 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Head-banging at Bon Jovi in MK (was supposed to be Wembley, but the eedjut builders couldn't get their acts together )
Old 6 Jun 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1628494)   #6
Gordon Knight
Racer

England
Monton, Eccles, Manchester
Gordon Knight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VSCC at Oulton Park including some "real" F1 cars from HGPCA
Really looking forward to it.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1628528)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Saturday - Nothing!
Sunday - Nothing

Bugger.......forgot to mention I have a 12-hr works shift from 2pm saturday!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 13:53 (Ref:1628530)   #8
Pistonbroke
Racer

Wales
Shropshire
Pistonbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Knight
Me too! Then Loton Park on Sunday for a round of British HillClimb Championship.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1628547)   #9
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There you go Guys( and Ladies!); there is still a full life despite the British GP, whatever Bernie may think!!!!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1628557)   #10
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Racegypsy and I will be at the 750 MC event at Brands. I'll be the one in the obviously borrowed orange suit... Even got my tickets in the mail yesterday, all the way to Vancouver from England. I was floored!

I gave up doing GPs back in the 90's after enduring one too many edicts telling me how to do my job in Montreal. Wouldn't even let us wear red foam clown noses when lined up at the stations for pre-track closing inspections (maybe they thought it was a comment on the inspections themselves, a point of view not entirely incorrect). Never mind that the FIA was too cheap to put porta-potties out for the workers, so we had to stand in line with a bunch of drunk Quebecers in the spectator areas. Yuck.

keke
Old 6 Jun 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1628560)   #11
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Knight
Hey Gordon we'll be there as well and I'm looking forward to seeing that one that looked like a steam train engine (you were drooling over it) and the litttle tiny ones that looked like boats.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 14:56 (Ref:1628561)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee
....and the litttle tiny ones that looked like boats.

They were boats!
You were at lakeside!!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 15:23 (Ref:1628571)   #13
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Saturday VSCC at Oulton - interesting cars, entertaining drivers and organisers who don't try and take liberties.

Sunday, Owen Motor Club Sprint at Curborough. Relaxed day of grass roots motorsport. Might even listen to the GP on the radio. There again, might forget all about it.

Regards

Jim
Old 6 Jun 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1628578)   #14
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VSCC Oulton for me too, but I will not be entirely untouched by Bernie's circus.

I wish to travel the A43 from the M40 to the M1 on the way to Oulton (don't ask!) but thanks to the Grand Prix the A43 has been declared a cul-de-sac for three days

I suppose it will have to be A46, M69 instead.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 15:57 (Ref:1628594)   #15
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anglesey for the two days of the Chester MC sprint meeting, sun sea and good cars hopefully a great weekend

Anyone else out there coming to join us?
Old 6 Jun 2006, 16:39 (Ref:1628627)   #16
Matt Dillon
Racer

England
Dudley
Matt Dillon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be at Oulton on Midland Hills Rescue Unit. Looks like it could be a good day
Old 6 Jun 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1628631)   #17
Andy Johns
Racer

England
Salisbury
Andy Johns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alternative GP weekend

Teaching under 17's to drive round the Thruxton paddock!!! Am I mad or what...........
Old 6 Jun 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1628704)   #18
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Concreting the new caravan patch on Saturday morning, lunch with friends on Sunday, or Loton if they can't make it (50:50 at the mo). Frankly, I'd prefer to do anything rather than give up my time to help Bernie earn another few million!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1628784)   #19
spottymarshal
Rookie

England
Chatham,Kent
spottymarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be at Snetterton marshalling a bike meeting.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1628786)   #20
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good grief, here we go again. Just because you don't like the GP for whatever reason, pleases don't rubbish it for those of us who do like going. As has been said so many times before you choose which meetings you go to, that is fair enough. Many of us go for the atmosphere of the racing, despite the time spent hanging around, and the social side on the marshals camp site is brilliant. We don't get that too often.

So, you go and enjoy another race meeting, or watch paint dry, or concrete set, or whatever it is you choose to do. That's your privilege and I won't knock it! But please respect my choice as well.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1628805)   #21
flags
Racer

Wales
aberdare.south wales
flags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice'ly put clive..lets hope the replies are gentlemanly too.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1628820)   #22
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've managed to arrnge a business meeting with Red Bull Racing in Northamptonshire on the Friday , then I'll be enjoying the flying display at work's Families day on the Saturday. Might watch some footy too.

Old 6 Jun 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1628860)   #23
alan-g
Racer

alan-g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I shall be spending the weekend in Brittany and then on to Le Mans sometime on Monday.

Poste 0, startline and pit wall, once again.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 22:33 (Ref:1628870)   #24
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a weekend in the sunshine at Silverstone with a barbie and the beers will be lovely!
Hope you all have a great time and I almost wish I was going now!!
However Lydden for me if I'm not having to stop England fans fighting each other and throwing up in the gutter!!
Old 6 Jun 2006, 23:08 (Ref:1628889)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
Good grief, here we go again. Just because you don't like the GP for whatever reason, pleases don't rubbish it for those of us who do like going. As has been said so many times before you choose which meetings you go to, that is fair enough. Many of us go for the atmosphere of the racing, despite the time spent hanging around, and the social side on the marshals camp site is brilliant. We don't get that too often.

So, you go and enjoy another race meeting, or watch paint dry, or concrete set, or whatever it is you choose to do. That's your privilege and I won't knock it! But please respect my choice as well.
As always, I have absolutely no problem with anyone who makes a different choice from me, and I hope that you will all have a truly wonderful time. I wouldn't dream of rubbishing or demeaning any of those who attend, and who I know will once more show British marshalling to be of the highest standard should they be called upon to perform.

I reserve the right, however, to state that I personally think the GP sucks. I give my time willingly and happily for the sport at all levels, but F1 is not, to my mind, about sport. It's all about a bunch of obscenely wealthy people trying to become ever more obscenely wealthy while making none of that available to the places and people who provide the means for them to do so, on top of which they criticize them regularly while displaying absolute ignorance of what they do and total ingratitude for their considerable sacrifices and ability. Indeed, they are systematically undermining us by heading to places where there is no experienced marshalling force and assuring everyone that it doesn't matter.