Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Mar 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2661820)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does this race Change Strategy

Jense made the call before the start of the season that some teams will make early stops and go for it. Well, he said he felt the slower teams might do that. Now that he has won using what might be called a pretty nutty strategy will this change the way the next races are run? LH was obviously the loser in the traditional line of thought.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 15:38 (Ref:2661829)   #2
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first thing to notice is that his early pit strategy only worked because of changing track conditions. So I'd say it won't make a huge difference to future races.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 15:56 (Ref:2661840)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I agree - an early stop wouldn't have done him any good if it hadn't been to change from inters to slicks, and he only did it that early because he was really struggling with the inters. I don't see early pitstops becoming the norm.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 Mar 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2661860)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It only worked because everyone had to stop. As the Ferraris and Kubica showed track position is key. Even if you have fresh tyres and are 2 seconds quicker it is impossible to overtake.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 16:22 (Ref:2661871)   #5
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if you have pace in the car, then pitting early means you may be able to get the clear space and be able to punt clean, consistant and fast laps without chewing tyres and burning time behind a car. You would think if you have the pace you will be able to get past the back markers and by the time you get to the rear wings of thos in say 12th or higher they will be pealing off for their stops.

I still think its a shame to see F1 cars racing around 6-8 seconds off the pace the car is capable of
Old 28 Mar 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2661880)   #6
Taprobane
Racer

England
Berkshire
Taprobane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they should remove the rules about having to use both sets of tyres and make it so someone like Jenson could run the rntire race on one set with others such as Lewis would maybe stop twice and charge harder. Of course for this to work the cars have to be able to overtake.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2661895)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
In Bahrain most teams agreed that they were surprised by how durable the tires were. I am starting to believe we will see drivers, especially if they can get clean air coming out of the pits come in as early as possible then maintaining till the end. Hope I am wrong.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 19:10 (Ref:2662054)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope, the having to use both compounds rule ruins it.

And the cars still can't overtake.

It does show that the lack of fuel stops hasn't hurt it. It has added value, IMHO, but we still have the two problems above. It also shows that adding another compulsary pitstop does not help, it just masks the problem.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2662076)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You have to bear in mind the track. Somewhere easier to overtake would be worthwhile pitting perhaps, but get out of step at, say, Hungary or monaco and it's hello traffic for the rest of your afternoon.

However any proper variety is not really possible due to the compound rules.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2662526)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Button's strategy only worked because the track was trying, and he got onto the right tyres more quickly. In normal conditions, I can't see much changing. What this race has changed is that teams are less likely to consider making a second pitstop to run softer tyres in the latter stages - Hamilton was set for at least 3rd before he pitted, and never had any hope of fighting back.

The race has changed my strategy for Sundays though - turn the TV on, watch if it's likely to rain or the grid's mixed-up, give it a miss otherwise.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2663426)   #11
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If a set of soft tyres can be made to last 50+ laps, then there is no sense in using the harder compound for any other reason that the rules force you to. If Malaysia is dry I fully expect teams to qualify on the soft tyres and run them as long as possible in the race. I wouldn't be suprised if some of the back runners take a punt and pit a handful of laps from the end.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2663449)   #12
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilap View Post
In Bahrain most teams agreed that they were surprised by how durable the tires were. I am starting to believe we will see drivers, especially if they can get clean air coming out of the pits come in as early as possible then maintaining till the end. Hope I am wrong.
whilst i agree that Jenson's win was only due to the changing track conditions, i do think you have a valid point - that pitting as early as possible is where the benefit lies.

the only consideration is clean air.

By pitting early, you will theoretically be lapping quicker than you would on a slightly worn set, thereby making ground on the cars you were following before the pit stop.

What might be interesting is if a top running car bombs out their quali lap and gets stuck in the mid - low quali positions (like 15 - 20). You might opt to pit in the first couple of laps, get clear track and therefore be able to circle faster than the cars up to 6 / 7 (especially if they are having on-track battles and slowing each other down), so that by the time these cars pit, you would hold track position. Then manage tyres and fend off chasing cars until the finish.

pitting early also holds all the benefits in case of safety car.

but i'm with you, in that i hope this doesnt happen, as it means the rewards lie with avoiding on-track car to car racing.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 14:06 (Ref:2663515)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Being vaguely optimistic, I think the teams are learning about the tyres as they go along, so they could get more adventurous as their knowledge increases.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2663590)   #14
vancecooley
Rookie

United States
United States
vancecooley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it seemed to me that there was a lot of overtaking... did you guys see something I didn't?
Old 30 Mar 2010, 16:04 (Ref:2663600)   #15
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilap View Post
Jense made the call before the start of the season that some teams will make early stops and go for it. Well, he said he felt the slower teams might do that. Now that he has won using what might be called a pretty nutty strategy will this change the way the next races are run? LH was obviously the loser in the traditional line of thought.
If they can take care of the tires, it's possible.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 17:49 (Ref:2663644)   #16
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the pitting early strategy, you can charge hard at the beggining of the race, when everyone is driving like my grandma. Try to gain some places or make a difference if you are ahead.

Then pit early, try to clock 3 or 4 good laps and wait the rest to pit, just to administrate the final stint, where you should be ahead.

Nice in theory, would it work in practice?
Old 30 Mar 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2663837)   #17
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Ofcourse my limited knowledge of the sport leads me to think that as soon as the field spreads out it would be time to pit. Rocketracer pretty much eloquently elaborated on what I was saying. My bet; more teams will pull the JB strategy, especially on tracks where passing is just about impossible.