Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Oct 2012, 21:42 (Ref:3145413)   #51
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chris Harris' video and "test ride". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFNIq...layer_embedded
Old 13 Oct 2012, 08:46 (Ref:3150774)   #52
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Walter Rohrl Drives Porsche 918 Spyder on the Ring

"As per the sales brochure leaked a few weeks ago, the 918 Spyder is expected to have a 4.6 litre V8 engine couple with twin electric motors for a total somewhere north of 750hp. Expect the 918 to go into production in September 2013. "
Old 10 Sep 2013, 21:41 (Ref:3301711)   #53
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche 918 Spyder Laps Nurburgring in 6:57!

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/09/10/p...rgring-in-657/

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

Ouyeah!!! Time for the hybrids, Now also in the roads, from LMPS.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 22:11 (Ref:3301741)   #54
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdragon View Post
Ouyeah!!! Time for the hybrids, Now also in the roads, from LMPS.
More like from roads to LMPs.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 23:29 (Ref:3301765)   #55
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
More like from roads to LMPs.
Not in supercar's, the trend in supercars comes from performance specs, not as much as Prius'ses consumption.

Is more the epic Tesla model S win against the M5 in the 0-60 Mph, than a excessive concern of emissions of the "Dark sided of the light" WAG group.

This time the inspiration was LMPs (for Porsche) or the F1 for Ferrari and Mclaren.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 00:18 (Ref:3301782)   #56
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Still don't get your logic. 918 concept was introduced already in 2010. Concept - meaning has been in the making even longer.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 00:48 (Ref:3301801)   #57
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdragon View Post
Porsche 918 Spyder Laps Nurburgring in 6:57!
Thanks for the link! I really like this shot. This is a very pretty Porsche...

I really like the shot of the rear. Nice swoopy curves.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3301806)   #58
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Is there any place this car can race? I don't think even VLN?
Old 11 Sep 2013, 01:13 (Ref:3301809)   #59
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only VLN I believe. Till it does race why is this thread here?
Old 11 Sep 2013, 01:24 (Ref:3301813)   #60
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Driver in the car that did the 7:14 lap was a test driver named Philipp Arnold.
Thank you. That is more interesting to me than the car.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 18:05 (Ref:3302253)   #61
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Is there any place this car can race? I don't think even VLN?
Why not? If they can squeeze the DW into the regs, why not this car?

DK
Old 11 Sep 2013, 18:08 (Ref:3302254)   #62
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
Why not? If they can squeeze the DW into the regs, why not this car?

DK
It's doesn't have a "Look! I am different! LOOK AT ME!" aura like DW has.

Last edited by deggis; 11 Sep 2013 at 18:13.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 22:36 (Ref:3302447)   #63
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
Just found the onboard footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QClp2Y4Z-tw#t=35

Edit: Attention to the velocimetter that can be seen through the steering wheel, gives a hint how the laptime was achieved.

Last edited by urdragon; 11 Sep 2013 at 22:43.
Old 11 Sep 2013, 22:59 (Ref:3302464)   #64
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
6 years has lived the gumpert record (I u do not count the Radical cars, not recommended for city intensive use) good mark for a car with some developements at the Technical university of Munich.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 06:31 (Ref:3302541)   #65
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Tires have come a long way since then.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 06:44 (Ref:3302544)   #66
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Please let's not miss the point of this car: It was not designed to be an out and out track car. It is supposed to showcase hybrid efficiency coupled with sportiness. The fact that it has set a record for the quickest production car around the Ring is just icing on the cake. Other track focused sports supercars (P1, La Ferrari) should be able to better the time. They will however have to try hard, as the 918 has set the bar quite high.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 07:07 (Ref:3302549)   #67
deggis
Veteran

Finland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu_GezgxQ4o

Chris Harris is not that impressed.

edit: oops, thought this was a more recent video, already from May...
Old 12 Sep 2013, 09:10 (Ref:3302597)   #68
avvelenamento
Racer

avvelenamento User had had their licence endorsedavvelenamento User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Please let's not miss the point of this car: It was not designed to be an out and out track car. It is supposed to showcase hybrid efficiency coupled with sportiness. The fact that it has set a record for the quickest production car around the Ring is just icing on the cake. Other track focused sports supercars (P1, La Ferrari) should be able to better the time. They will however have to try hard, as the 918 has set the bar quite high.
Agree, I expect times around 6.40 for P1 and LaFerrari.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 09:14 (Ref:3302598)   #69
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It took the Zonda R similar HP and slicks and wings to get to 6:47, doubt the Laugherrari with it's mild aero and road tyres could do a 6:40, P1 might get close to below 6:50 but it's not likely to be hugely faster.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 09:20 (Ref:3302600)   #70
avvelenamento
Racer

avvelenamento User had had their licence endorsedavvelenamento User had had their licence endorsed
This is true, but you know, 918 spyder was able to hit 6.57. P1 and LaFerrari are lighter than 918 spyder (1640kg of 918 weissach pack against rumored 1400-1450kg of P1 and rumored 1300-1350kg of LaFerrari) and a bit more powerfull. Both will be able to run under 6.50 for sure, but I guess both will get close to 6.40 because in the long straight at the end of the track (I can't remember the german name) P1 and LaFerrari will reach a top speed uncomparable for the 918.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 10:52 (Ref:3302642)   #71
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suspect that if and when they beat the 918's time, it will only be by a couple of seconds.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 11:00 (Ref:3302643)   #72
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As was mentioned above: Porsche didn't build the 918 to be the fastest supercar, but to show that hybrid-powered, fuel-efficient (relatively) cars could be very, very fast.

Even if the record only lasts until the next Ferrari test, it is great publicity which was the whole point of the exercise anyway.

The fact that they can fit all that mass of battery and electric motor into the car and still get that kind of performance is pretty impressive, too.

Porsche's original Turbo (930 I think, 1974) had a tire-tearing 280 brake horsepower and did 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, if I recall. And it was considered an amazing breakthrough, even though oversteer and turbo lag made the thing almost dangerous to drive for the unschooled.

Forty years later we have a car with 100 times the computing power of the space shuttle, four-wheel steering, capable of running either on petrol or electricity or both, lapping at tiems which would have embarrassed the Porsche 917/10 Interserie car.

I doubt a lot of prospective customers are worries d about beating other supercars around the 'Ring. I doubt Porsche management is.

We live in a time when we can by $25K hot hatches which can outperform Porsche's original 930 Turbo. We live in a time when a variety of manufacturers build street cars faster than the iconic racing cars of our youth--where the very rich can buy cars quicker than the cars that defined 'fast," and drive them at those speeds with the A/C and 16-speaker stereo both on full blast.

Sorry to ramble, but I think 6:57 or 7:03 or whatever around the Nurburgring, if we really thought about it, should be enough to stop our brains briefly. Not a bad lap time for an economy car.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 11:57 (Ref:3302673)   #73
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not so sure there will be all that difference in lap-times. And I would not be so sure rivals will be faster than Porsche. Absolutely.
First of all, if they might be faster on straight line, Porsche with 4-wheel traction has a huge advantage in the turns. At the Ring you don't "make the time" on the straight, but in the turns.
Porsche in turns is helped by his steering-rear axle, and 4-whel drive. It is the only one to have these solutions. We know steering-rear axle means a virtual different wheel-base for 918, that can help it to be more stable in changing from fast to slow parts of the track.
Porsche is heavier than its rivals, but they have used this excess of weight to balance in the better way as possible the car, disposing the battery-pack as low as possible to reduce the center of gravity. The same have done Ferrari and McLaren, but this excess of weigh can be used by Porsche to have a better traction, together with 4-wheel drive.
Afterall weigh is a trouble, but sometimes... it is till a certain point: GTR has proven to be faster than 458 and 911 turbo, being heavier than both of them...
About an hypothetic al 6'40" or less for P1 and LaFerrari... no comment. I find it ridiculous.
Ferrari has never declared real weight of its car... only speculations about it. Maybe because they've not complied their original aim...
Then we don't have to forget Ferrari is having major troubles with LaFerrari KERS system, and production of the car has been delayed without releasing further statements about building and delivery times.
So it is quite stupid to underestimate or overestimate the heroes of this challenge basing all on power and weight. Sometimes the total is less than or greater than the sum of the parts.

P.S.
Here the challenge is not on the lap-times: these are street-legal cars, and not race cars. Challenge will be on the technological point of view. And I think Porsche has already won.

Last edited by Dario911; 12 Sep 2013 at 12:03.
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 12 Sep 2013, 12:08 (Ref:3302679)   #74
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by avvelenamento View Post
This is true, but you know, 918 spyder was able to hit 6.57. P1 and LaFerrari are lighter than 918 spyder (1640kg of 918 weissach pack against rumored 1400-1450kg of P1 and rumored 1300-1350kg of LaFerrari) and a bit more powerfull. Both will be able to run under 6.50 for sure, but I guess both will get close to 6.40 because in the long straight at the end of the track (I can't remember the german name) P1 and LaFerrari will reach a top speed uncomparable for the 918.
Wrong.
How many seconds may P1 and LaFerrari gain over 918 on the main straight?
And how many seconds Porsche can gain in turn due its 4-wheel system and rear steering axle. At the Ring you don't make your fastest lap if you are the fastest on the only on the main straight, but you do it if you are fast in turns. And I'm quite sure no match against Porsche in this.
6:40 is not a realistic time.
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 12 Sep 2013, 13:15 (Ref:3302714)   #75
avvelenamento
Racer

Be quiet with words darietto, I just expressed why in my opinion P1 and LaFerrari could (and very likely will) be able to mark a faster timelap than 918. 918 spyder is a semi AWD (BIG difference here, nissan gt-r is a permanent AWD, 918 is AWD only when front flywheels are activated) with a great aero efficency, but I still believe that lighter and more powerfull cars with a comparable aero efficency (are you a mclaren of ferrari employer to tell that P1 and LaFerrari aero is worse than 918?) will be able to run under 6.50, close to 6.40 maybe. Porsche 918 spyder claimed a top speed something more than 320km/h, P1 and LaFerrari could hit easily 330km/h and over on the long straight. An higher top speed in a so long straight helps to be faster, don't you think?

"And I would not be so sure rivals will be faster than Porsche. Absolutely"

Why cars with a range of 200-300kg less and an higher power and top speed should not be faster than 918 as you say? Just because is a porsche, and you are a well known porsche fan?

For years I browsed italian and international motorsport forums, just recently I decided to take part actively to discussions here and on omnicorse.it. Your nickname is well known for me, anyway I'm sorry that you find me so ridiculous now I know how you felt for a so long time when on motorblogsport.it everyone was kidding you when you were posting something .
I don't mean to offend you, but if some great and expert user here like Gwyllion tells me ridiculous, very probably is right because I'm wrong, but the word ridiculous for me is a compliment if told by you. Peace.

Last edited by avvelenamento; 12 Sep 2013 at 13:28.