Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15 Nov 2004, 01:45 (Ref:1153598)   #1
11tenths
Rookie

United States
San Francisco, California
11tenths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ayrton on Ayrton: His own words

These direct quotes published by the Instituto Ayrton Senna may shed some new light on Senna for some, I know it was an interesting look at the man for me.

I've included the origial Portugese text from which these were translated by some kind stranger from São Paulo. Thanks Viv! I thought it appropriate to initiate a new thread for reactions to what these quotes might mean to you and what your own impressions of Ayrton Senna are.

Some of these are pretty special, IMHO:

"Você conta nos dedos da mão os pilotos que tem condições de ganhar um campeonato. Eu sou um deles"

"You can count on the fingers of one hand those drivers able to win a championship. I´m one of them."

"O ambiente na Formula 1 nao me agrada. A unica coisa que vale a pena e pilotar"

"The atmosphere in F1 doesn´t please me. The only thing that makes it worth-while is driving."

"Só sento num carro para ser o primeiro"

"I just sit in a car to be the first."

"Sempre falei que meus Ã*dolos eram o Niki Lauda e o Gilles Villeneuve"

"I always said that my idols were Nikki Lauda and Gilles Villeneuve."

"Quando vejo a galera vibrando na reta, sinto grande emoção. Tenho que corresponder ao entusiasmo com vitórias"

"When I see the fans cheering on the last section of the track, I feel a huge emotion. I have to answer to their enthusiasm with victories."

"Preciso fazer algo especial. Todos os anos alguém é campeão. Eu procuro algo além disso"

"I need to do something special. Every year somebody is champion. I search for something beyond this."

"Longe do Brasil, Ã*s vezes entro em profunda depressão. Se a folga é mais longa, retorno logo"

"Far from Brazil, sometimes I fall into a deep depression. If the rest is longer, I return soon."

"Quando você tem 22 ou 23 anos, não pensa tanto em segurança. Quando estiver com 35, vou pensar diferente"

"When you are 22 or 23 years old, you don´t think about safety very much. When I´m 35, I´ll think differently."

"O dia em que não estiver mais a fim de vencer, vou para casa"

"The day I feel I'm not up to winning, I´m going home."

"As drogas não estão com nada. Quem quer emoções fortes, que as procure no esporte. No kart, por exemplo"

"Drugs are good for nothing. Anyone that wants strong emotions, should search for them in sports. In kart, for example."

"Tenho muita coisa pela frente. É claro que vou querer bater todos os recordes possÃ*veis"

"I have a lot of things ahead. Of course I´m going to break all possible records."

"Sabe o que acontece com quem não investe? Fica para trás"

"Do you know what happens with those who don't invest? They get left behind."

"Só boto o fundilho num carro quando acho que posso enfrentar os adversários de igual para igual. E vencê-los"

"I just sit myself down in a car when I know that I can face the adversaries as an equal. And beat them."

"Sempre fui um privilegiado. Num paÃ*s pobre, nasci rico. Vencer é uma obrigação para mim, por tudo isso"

"I always was privileged. In a poor country, I was born rich. To win is my obligation, because of this."

"Com os japoneses aprendi o significado da lealdade, sentimento que envolve honra e que eleva o ser humano"

"With the Japanese I learned the meaning of loyalty, a feeling that engenders honour and elevates a person."

"É frustrante você largar numa prova sabendo que não tem chances de vencer, que no máximo pode marcar uns pontinhos"

"It´s frustrating when you start a race knowing that you don´t have a chance to win, that at the best you will score some meager points."

"Se depender de mim, esgotarei os adjetivos do dicionário"

"If it´s up to me, I´m going to wear out all the adjectives in the dictionary."