Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4 Mar 2002, 19:40 (Ref:228013)   #1
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
US Speed channel coverage

I'm curious to know whether my impression of US television coverage is shared out there.

Briefly -- I was delighted to see David Hobbs and Steve Matchett back again; David has a lovely dry sense of humour and is good at puncturing pretension, while Steve just about always tells me something technical or tactical that I haven't heard elsewhere.

I grew to admire Bob Varsha last year and, after a period of disaffection, I became fond of Sam Posey's zaniness.

So, now: This Rick de-something. A difficult job to do, continuity. He's just starting in F1, far as I can tell. So one makes allowances. But he doesn't seem to know when not to talk -- for instance, when one of his better-informed colleagues is saying something, or when the drivers are giving their post-qualifying press conference, or when the action on the track needs no comment. (As for talking over the drivers, one sensed David and/or Steve trying to shut him up, but he persisted; during the post-race, presumably, one or both of them had a forearm firmly clamped over his voluble gullet...) Moreover, he seems prone to fill dead air with endlessly repeated comments on what he sees as "the story line" -- for instance, MS's possible 5th championship. I found this rather wearing. And did he need to keep imploring us -- probably one of the more devoted and specific sports followings in the country -- to "stick around" as they went to commercial? He'll get better, I'm sure; I was dubious about Varsha at first.

And then, endless, endlessly long, promos and bumpers for Speed channel generally and F1 coverage in particular. I reckon we could have seen 5 more minutes of racing had they pared this transitional junk to a reasonable level. Sigh.

So -- what do you think? How does this compare to last year; or, for that matter, from what I've written here, to what you're seeing in Australia, UK, Germany, Finland, etc.?

best to all,
Bibendum