Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23 May 2010, 11:12 (Ref:2696509)   #26
mz2k
Racer

United States
mz2k has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
I don't understand those who think that every Bernard statement is going to be the quick fix - it is going to take many, many steps to get there. This is one of them.
Because nothing that he has publicly announced has addressed the fundamental issue of the "on track" product. It's boring and predictable. The first step to addressing that core problem has not been taken.

Quote:
And again, the rebranding of the sanctioning body has nothing to do with chassis or engines or tv. It's a business thing. A market positioning thing. And something that I agree with.
It's cosmetic. It doesn't change the nature of the series. It may be quick, but it's not even a fix. Most businesses will reposition themselves by altering some basic essense of their business- a product, service, or focus on a market. The rebranding is just a part of that strategy.

I see none of those with the IRL- other than a name change.

The IRL- now doing business as (fill in the blank).

Pathetic.

Quote:
I agree completely that turning this thing round is important and if it is a spec chassis, even with differing engine combinations will drive another nail into the coffin.
It's not about the chassis or engines (though the IRL definitely could use a better looking car). It's about the competition on the track, or lack thereof. CCWS was getting very stale with the NH/Bourdais dominance and the Lola. And while the Panoz didn't change the championship outcome, it did allow three different teams to win races. It definitely made for a more interesting season.

Quote:
The last few years have been dull and maybe the wrong side came out of this on top - even at the death of CCWS.
On this I agree. Internal politics aside, CCWS understood that lack of competition on the track made for a unsellable product. I liked the fact that their focus on the Panoz development (a spec chassis) was on increasing competition on the track- from aerodynamics to economics.

It wasn't perfect, but I don't think any top level professional series has gone that route before.

Quote:
But they do have some things going for them. They have a title sponsor. They have a TV package that has potential. They obviously have committed teams - otherwise why would have they stuck around?
Subsidies- that's why they stick around. They don't really race for the purses, because they're still guaranteed money for racing full time.

That and a shot at the Indy 500 purse, which still pays out a lot of money.

Otherwise, why would they stay and be continually beaten by Penske and Ganassi?