Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6 May 2002, 23:45 (Ref:278947)   #1
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy Memories

Man, I love the month of May. It always brings back great memories. Some of the best times I've ever had were spent watching Indy 500s. Yeah, I know you're thinking that I should be posting this in the IRL forum, but all af my favorite Indy Memories are from the CART era at the Speedway.

This year's edition is gonna be one great race, but I think that the best Indy ever was 1991.

If you'll allow me to indulge myself, I'd like to share a paragraph from a piece that I published last May called "Top Ten Indy Memories" (Some of you may have read it, as it was re-published in the Ten-Tenths Newsletter)

The 1991 Indy 500 is at the top of this list for a very simple reason. As a race it typified what racing is all about. Late in the race, two drivers, both consummate professionals, were giving it 110% for the win. Michael Andretti and Rick Mears both fought hard for the win. These two men demonstrated a level of respect and trust for each other that saw them go wheel to wheel in the closing stages of the race. Michael Andretti took the lead from Mears in a daring pass on the outside of the turn. It was a flawlessly executed maneuver, and an outside pass is rarely seen on the 2.5 mile Indy oval. But lightning can strike twice, as Mears took back the lead using the same outside line a few laps later. By then Mears had his car dialed in, as Andretti’s setup began to go loose. But Andretti didn’t give up the fight, but even with the benefit of a late race caution, Andretti was unable to catch Mears. Rick Mears became just the third person in the Speedway’s history to win four Indy 500’s. Although nobody would have thought it at the time, it was also Mears’ final moment of Indy racing glory as he retired in 1992. I’ll be honest; I was sorely disappointed that Michael Andretti didn’t win. But it was a great moment for Mears and a great race overall.

Thanks. I really would be interested to hear some other people's Indy Memories, like I said, I love the month of May, especially since now many of CART's top drivers are back at the Brickyard chasing a little piece of Indy history.