Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18 Dec 2011, 17:29 (Ref:3001589)   #1
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mo Mendham? 1960's/70's Mini Racer

Does anyone know what happened to the 1960's/70's Mini racer Mo Mendham or his ultra-lightweight race Mini from the 1970's or maybe you have some photos of his Mini (see below) or links to some on the internet?
For reference Mo Mendhams very strange looking ultra-lightweight aluminium paneled Mini No.179 (at 1m15s) can be seen in this race video from Crystal Palace Sep 9th 1972. I used to love watching the Special Saloons especially Mini's including Mo's at the race circuits in the 1970's. Happy days!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heL84f5l ... r_embedded

Quote posted below from one of his race and rally friends who had some info but lost touch with him many years ago:

"Now Mo, despite having a B.Sc. in aeronautical engineering, sort-of got into some bad ways and spent some time, let's say, out of circulation courtesy of Her Majesty.
His ultra-lightweight Mini then found its way to a scrap yard north of Stevenage called 'Jack's Hill. There was another well-known Mini race driver called John Aley, who was the first person to commercially make roll cages known as 'Aley-Bars'. He got a call from someone and went to look at it in the scrap yard, expecting it to be some sort of 'boy-racer' car, but was amazed at it when he saw it. I understand that it was sold within the motor-sport fraternity. I know this because I often used to have lunch with John Aley as his place was just down the road from where I worked in Cambridge. That was just a great coincidence really.
I was sorry to lose contact with Mo as he and I had been very good friends during our student days and I navigated for him on several of the rallies he did before he got seriously into racing. He was very competitive and we got some excellent results, but really his heart was in racing."