Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12 Jul 2012, 02:23 (Ref:3105412)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Best (and Worst) Announcers?

I'm not sure if this thread has been started before. Moderators, feel free to close this if it has already been discussed.

I've always had a thing for laughing at announcers and pointing out their weaknesses. Who are the best or worst announcers and why? I'll start out by giving my favorites and least favorites.

Favorites:
1. Steve Matchett: an awesomely geeky techie who will give you the scoop on anything as specific or as vague as you want. A true perfectionist at announcing and excels at it.
2. Calvin Fish: a good all around announcer who is not afraid to give his opinions on things.
3. Murray Walker: probably the worst announcer practically, but extremely lovable. The most funny announcer of all time without even trying.
4. Ben Edwards: he yelled a lot, but was very entertaining and informative.
5. Darrell Waltrip: I used to think he was terrible, but he grew on me. I like something about his personality which I still haven't put a finger on.
6. John Watson: really fun to listen to and is definitely not afraid to speak his mind. A good kind of "rough around the edges".
7. Tim Harvey: exciting and great to hear because of his numerous races in BTCC
8. David Hobbs: funny and memorable... enough said
9. John Hindhaugh: the best announcer of all time... energetic and, to me, the voice of motorsports.
10. Jeremy Shaw: JH's sidekick and almost as good. Really knowledgeable and smooth in speech.
11. Justin Bell: HILARIOUSNESS IN 2 MINUTES! That just about sums it up at Le Mans.

Least Favorites:
1. Leigh Diffey: he bullies his way to the top step of announcing, is not afraid to blow the speakers out when he shouts at the top of his lungs, and forces his enthusiasm. He acts like he feels he needs to literally shout everyone down.
2. Harry Vaulkhard: the laughing stock of announcing. He's the WTCC co-announcer, if you didn't know before. He hardly speaks a word and when he does you can't understand it because it's quiet as a mouse and jumbled up because of constant mumbling.
3. Dorsey Schroeder: kind of lovable, but really terrible at announcing. He's the king of mumbling and slurring speech, and frequently trails off into incomprehensible slurred mumbo-jumbo where only a couple of words are audible.
4. Bob Varsha: a smooth announcer but extremely overzealous in his vocabulary and speech. He often looks foolish using outlandish terms, phrases, and vocabulary. My favorite quote: "he's on Hamilton like a duck on a junebug!" No, just no...
5. Johnny O'Connell: sounds uncannily like Porky Pig. A fun guy, but he's quite obnoxious at moments.
6. Greg Creamer: forced enthusiasm and not much knowledge about racing
7. Bill Adam: worst announcer of all time. So negative and bitter about racing. Seems not to promote the sport but try to crush it with sheer negativity.
8. Toby Moody: extremely forced enthusiasm and not much technical knowledge. He makes me mad for some reason, probably because he unwittingly sounds very patronizing.

So, what do you all think?