Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17 Mar 2015, 16:36 (Ref:3516384)   #10
tigas
Racer

Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
tigas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
This is not only in Finland, but in the whole Scandinavia, and probably a lot more contries. (It is called Folkracing in Denmark)

The problem with this solution is that there is a lot of work hours in setting the cars to do endurance runs. In Folkracing this is not the case, the cars just needs to run for a few laps and then that is it.
If you are constantly switching cars you will never get the right feel with how that chassis is working, leaving the LMP2 as a mess.
Also it is very fan friendly. Fans of the WEC is often more or atleast equally passionate about the cars as the teams and drivers. If the teams keep changing cars the fans will get confused. Imagine all the paint work needed to be done to every single panel.
Building af Folkracer is also a lot faster than building a LMP2 car, so if another team decides to buy your car, you will have to wait several months before you can get a new one made and ready.

In the end, money still talks. The team with the biggest budget won't care about the Cost-cap and just accept the loss made each time a car is sold, and buy a new one. This is an issue in Folkracing in Denmark, where the richer drivers keep building cars that are more expensive that the selling price, and this way wins the championship (albeit at a higher price).

So sadly, your simple, easy idea, doesn't work .

But welcome to the forum!, hope you will stick around, and keep up the out of the box thinking. Even though it might not be possible and flawed, it is always good to have creative thinking!
Thank you very much for the welcome, I've been a lurker (just reading) for some time and just wanted to let this idea hang in here. I was just starting to get interested in endurance racing when "Truth in 24" came out, so I was hooked and that same year I spent Saturday night wide awake in my sofa watching a full LH24h for the first time. That same night I found TenTenths...

I could also see lots of difficulties with this scheme due to the complexity of LMP2's chassis and the amount of effort to tune them up. Also, I'm sure that every team knows their chassis like their son, with it's foibles, it's personality, etc.

And, I've read and rooted extensively for the Dome partnerships in my day, especially with Pescarolo, so I understand about being emotionally invested in a team+chassis combination...

Still, that's why I thought of only allowing this during month-long breaks in the WEC. As for people spending to be faster, I would say "let them" - if people keep buying their "ultra-cars", sooner or later everyone else will have as good a car as the rich guy and then talent will speak...

Last edited by tigas; 17 Mar 2015 at 16:44.