Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3 Feb 2024, 23:00 (Ref:4195001)   #10
Richard C
Veteran

United States
Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
GM was already waiting until 2028 - that is when it has said it would have its own Power Unit ready to be used, or at least Andretti has said that is when it would start using the GM Power Unit.
My earlier posts above commented on this. Why would GM spend any more money on power unit development if their preferred partner has no entry? As I mention earlier, I suspect GM has zero interest in just becoming another F1 power unit supplier on it's own. In fact, I think this is probably why GM hasn't already signed up to be a power unit supplier (at least I don't think they have).

Quote:
That is why FOM said in its statement that a 2028 start would be viewed very differently.
Can anyone really explain what that means? It is absolutely no guarantee of anything. So it is effectively pointless statement.

I saw a comment on social media elsewhere that said to the effect "Goalposts are heavy, so it must be hard to keep moving them". The entire process has placed ever increasing roadblocks in front of Andretti and Andretti has continued to meet the requests. And at each turn a new excuse has been provided. The most recent is "ask again in 2028". That new moving of the goalpost and FOM's general tone in their response is just galling in the transparency of it's overt offensiveness.

Quote:
Don't know - but that's why I suggested a few posts ago that if I was Andretti, I'd re-submit the application with a 2028 start date, using GM Power Unit. If Andretti then gets a "yes" (subject to any fees changing with the new Concorde Agreement due before then) then both Andretti and GM have certainty to work with, plan for that date and invest.
Given there is no Concorde Agreement that covers 2028+ (I am broadly assuming the current Concorde Agreement extends through 2027) that means there are no specifics one way or another regarding application, fees, process, etc. as to how that would happen. In short there is no point in applying for anything yet. There is no framework for doing so.

Richard