Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25 May 2001, 10:05 (Ref:96418)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should Monaco stay on the F1 calendar?

With all the talk of turning launch control systems off for this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix, the issue of safety comes to the forefront. Many drivers are stating that they fear a major accident occurring if launch control fails to work on just one of the cars due to the nature of the circuit. In Austria when we had four cars stalled, the others managed to make their way past without any incidents whatsoever, however the street circuit in Monte Carlo is a lot narrower and the chances of getting around a stationary car in the same situation here are virtually non existent.

Triple world champion, Michael Schumacher, who finished the first day of practice here yesterday in a strong second place behind the McLaren of Mika Hakkinen, believes that the main reason Monaco is still on the calendar is because of it's rich history in the world of Formula One. The German admitted that regardless of the safety issues, he would compete around the streets of Monte Carlo without hesitation, however he believes that if Monaco was a new circuit looking for accreditation from the FIA, it would more than likely fail to get approval.

"You should probably say no for terms of safety, but Monte Carlo is such an historic event," he said. "But if I was asked would I drive there if I had the choice then I would say yes. It is simply so much fun but I am aware of the dangers every second."

In yesterdays first practice sessions for Sunday's race, several drivers became victims of the unforgiving barriers that line the circuit, including Michael's brother Ralf. According to reports, the younger Schumacher has been ordered to rest today after complaining of head and neck pain from his mistake in the dying minutes of the second hour where he lost the back end of his car in the Swimming Pool section, scraping heavily along the barrier to leave his BMW Williams in a complete mess.