Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jan 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1191311)   #26
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The rules we're talking about here are European Union ones so everyone is in the same boat. Why it has been blown into a uniquely British issue I don't know.
Old 2 Jan 2005, 09:48 (Ref:1191483)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well in France that will make no difference!

One good thing about this will mean that everyone one can continue to show it and by the time it reaches the European Courts the problem will have passed.

All winkies

I guess it makes good news because the Bernie-gate *sigh* story can be referred to. This fills most of the column inches without even having to write anything new
Old 2 Jan 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1191527)   #28
RTH
Racer

RTH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It remains quite possible that broadcasters will be told that if they show tobacco brand logos post 31.07.05 that they will face unlimited fines ( and imprisonment of network chiefs ) , which may be in the tens of millions imposed under European law .

Clearly Ron Dennis takes it seriously with their switch we are told to Johnnie Walker Whiskey from that date.

From Jan 1. Britain holds the chair of the G8 for 6 months , and it's 99 % certain there will be a general election in UK in the next 6 months as well.

Blair came in for the most severe criticism of his period in office in accepting the £1M donation to the Labour party, which after the papers made it public he was forced to hand back.

I think he will not want to make that mistake again and will see getting tough at long last on tobacco advertising ( over 30 years after cigarette television adverts were made illegal ) as a vote winner, particually in the light of the recent strong moves to make smoking a criminal offence in public places, which public opinion poles have shown to have overwhelming support, including strangely from a majority of smokers themselves!

So don't bet against this issue going right to the wire.

Of course the F1 ring masters may take the view that the income and far eastern viewers are much more important and be quite content for it not to be shown in European countries .

Much could happen either way in the next few months, interesting times ahead .
Old 2 Jan 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1191530)   #29
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logrence
The last interesting season was 1999...it's been downhill since then.
'99 and 2000 have been my favourite years, and maybe 2003.
Old 2 Jan 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1191538)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am desperate to point out the relative merits of years post '99 and also pre '99 (and slipped into it slightly ), but lets keep it to the topic in hand. Cheers

Last edited by Adam43; 2 Jan 2005 at 12:10.
Old 2 Jan 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1191566)   #31
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTH
Of course the F1 ring masters may take the view that the income and far eastern viewers are much more important and be quite content for it not to be shown in European countries .

Despite what people may think, the FIA and Bernie view Europe as the core audience for F1 and it's too valuable a market not to have TV coverage.

This issue will be sorted out.
Old 4 Jan 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1193024)   #32
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure that anything will happen even if countries "banned" from showing Tabacco advertising on TV actually do show it - well except here in the UK!

There are many regulations or laws that EU countries are meant to follow but don't (except the UK who seems to abide by most things). For example I believe there is regulations on the colour and reflective strips of amubulances (hence why the UK ones changed to yellow and green) yet France has not taken that on board. All fire exinquishers being Red are another similar example (they were selling other colours when I visited Spain last year).
Old 4 Jan 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1193054)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I read that over 50% of the EU legal cases are brought against France!
Old 4 Jan 2005, 17:58 (Ref:1193063)   #34
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I heard that as well.
Old 4 Jan 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1193164)   #35
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I can really see all these TV companys throughout Europe paying out millions of pounds not to show races after the 31st July.
Old 4 Jan 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1193184)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Yes missing the last half of 2004 wouldn't have been so bad.

Michael would have won all, but one race we saw that year and I wouldn't have minded missing the Brazilian GP, Japanese GP, Chinese GP, Italian GP, Belgian GP, German GP. Frankly I'd take one Hungary to have those five races.

Oh, point of the thread, it'll be alright.

I'll give you 11/10 for your stout defence as always Adam.......