Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 3 Aug 2003, 00:29 (Ref:678253)   #1
Bruce302
Rookie

Bruce302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pics wanted

Hello guys,

I am new to this forum, and I would like to ask for some help.
The subject is a '69 Pontiac Firebird that came to NZ in late '71
and was raced initially by Ron Grable (US) for 2 races, then by a local, Rod Coppins until around '74.
I am looking for any pics of this car, either in NZ, or Australia where it also raced.
It was originally built in the States by the (Jerry) Titus- Terry Godsell Trans Am Team, and whilst I have many of the already published pics, I would like to see (or read) anything else that is available.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 08:46 (Ref:678390)   #2
eldougo
Rookie

eldougo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there Bruce.
My memory is not very good ,are you sure it came to OZ i can
recall Rod in a Camero at the"Farm"late 60's but not in a
Firebird .However for your sake i guess some one will prove
me wrong.
Cheers doug
Old 3 Aug 2003, 09:29 (Ref:678410)   #3
Bruce302
Rookie

eldougo,
My info is that the Firebird did go to OZ, one of the memorable things from the NZ promoter (Peter Hannah) was that the car carried Winfield (cigs) livery, (Rothmans in NZ) but I believe a different
co had that name over there, so the logo's had to be covered.
Of course this is just what i'm told, from a 30 year old memoery
and we know what they can be.
Thanks for the interest.
Bruce.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 18:31 (Ref:678844)   #4
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe Ron Grable is still with us so you may be able to track him down.
Old 3 Aug 2003, 21:08 (Ref:678958)   #5
Bruce302
Rookie

Yes, I believe Ron is still with us, but he suffered very serious burns in a motorcycle accident some years back and has withdrawn a great deal.I have written several times but without success.

Bruce
Old 4 Aug 2003, 02:19 (Ref:679178)   #6
Amonfan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Amonfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember Rod Coppins racing a Pontiac Firebird at Calder Raceway in Melbourne, circa 74/75
Old 4 Aug 2003, 05:52 (Ref:679226)   #7
Bruce302
Rookie

Excellent, a confirmed siting, thanks Amonfan, Now if some of the people there took pics, I might be getting lucky.
Obviously I have some pics from NZ tracks, but the more different
photo's the better.

Thanks Again guys.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 01:48 (Ref:680915)   #8
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruce,

Rod Coppins and his Firebird came to Australia for the two round Channel 7 Australia - New Zealand Challenge Cup, along Paul Fahey (Mustang) and Dennis Marwood (Camaro).

The first round was at Calder on 13/8/72. The car looked different from its last NZ race and was painted lime green and minus any cigarette signage. It had some sponsorship from local companies such as Signcraft.

From memory the car blew a clutch or something and didn’t actually race, certainly I don’t remember seeing it on the track, but I may have missed the first race. It certainly didn’t start in the main event, along with Fahey who blew a motor. I think Marwood retired from the race or was way off the pace.

Adelaide 27/8/72 went better, with Marwood on the pace and Coppins a little off it with two 3rd positions. Fahey’s Mustang could not be repaired so he drove Bob Jane’s Camaro but had gearbox problems.

I still have a scan of the Adelaide race report (that I sent to Dennis Marwood recently) and I can help you with a pic.

Send me your email address if you are interested.

BTW, do you know if Paul Fahey is still around? It would be nice to contact him as someone sent me a 8mm home movie film of the 1967 Australian Touring Car Championship at Lakeside and it features some footage of his Mustang. I will place still clips on my web site soon and maybe MPEG movie clips as well.

There is also an under bonnet shot of one of the Mustangs, but I am not sure if it is his car or Rod Coppin’s, so it would be handy to be able to contact him.

Thanks,
Chris Meaden
www.MotorsportArchive.com
Old 6 Aug 2003, 06:15 (Ref:680977)   #9
Bruce302
Rookie

Chris,
What an awesome sight, I haven't seen it before, but again this forum
proves its worth.
Thanks for the info on the Firebird, and the other kiwi cars. I'm pretty sure that Paul Fahey is still around, i'll check for him and his contact details before the end of the week (fingers crossed.
I also have some pics, including colour, of the cars you are looking for. Coppins, Fahey, Marwood, Moffat in NZ and a couple of others.And a bit of history too. I have the ex Coppins Firebird and only money and time stand between now and a fully restored car.
I plan to put up a site dedicated to the racing Firebirds of the late 60's, early 70's.
Thanks again for you input.
Bruce.
Old 8 Feb 2011, 07:13 (Ref:2827578)   #10
STG69
Rookie

STG69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pics wanted

Hi Bruce,

I may have some shots you would like to see. My grandfather was a photographer for the Timaru Hearald and has some a few shots of your car when it was white with PDL sponsorship.
Hows the resto going?
Old 8 Feb 2011, 07:39 (Ref:2827586)   #11
Bruce302
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by STG69 View Post
Hi Bruce,

I may have some shots you would like to see. My grandfather was a photographer for the Timaru Hearald and has some a few shots of your car when it was white with PDL sponsorship.
Hows the resto going?
Hi STG69,
The resto is going great. It was on display at Hampton Downs for this years NZFMR. It has been returned to the PDL Eurocars livery. That was when Rod was heading for the Saloon car Championship, and the car was looking pretty sharp.
I would love to see any pics you may have.
Please PM me with pic details iof necessary.

Regards,Bruce.