Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 8 Jul 2024, 18:00 (Ref:4218311)   #76
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
First time visitor to Mid Ohio; last saw IndyCar in 2017.
Photos of the weekend will follow but for the race watched from the grandstand. Hot for us Brits ! Enjoyed the race and the track.
Great race to get to see in person. The lack of yellow kept the flow going and allowed the different strategies to play out as they would.
Old 9 Jul 2024, 00:20 (Ref:4218340)   #77
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Photos of the weekend will follow but for the race watched from the grandstand. Hot for us Brits ! Enjoyed the race and the track.
It was just hot hot hot the area. That was a warm day but seemed like tires and cars handled it. The crowd looked to be pretty good, it's on my list to get to one day as it's now second closest road course and the closest Indy road course is not great (Barber)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Great race to get to see in person. The lack of yellow kept the flow going and allowed the different strategies to play out as they would.
I was surprised and realized when Grosjean spun we had a caution free race. Not sure starting 2 laps later but same procedure should count the caution
Old 9 Jul 2024, 22:33 (Ref:4218442)   #78
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Pato did well to soak up the pressure.

He's not judt about banzai moves and freakish car control.
Although that powerslide out of the last corner of the race was wonderful

Ericsson drove very well and as mentioned earlier, Sowery gave a great account of himself on his debut.
Old 9 Jul 2024, 23:08 (Ref:4218445)   #79
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Images from main and support races here. Despite the relatively high prevalence of fences for spectator snappers (by US standards) still lots of great spots to shoot from -

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjByVcA

Last saw IndyCar at Sears Point in 2017 - the last race of the boxy rear wing cars IIRC. Have never been convinced about the look of the aero screen (aesthetically not safety wise) but looked better in real life than I thought it would. Cars sounded good. Hopefully the hybrid issues (Dixon / stalling in pit lane) will be short lived and not detract from the racing.

Great performance by Toby Sowery; understand that Jack Harvey was in pain so good to see him finish.
Old 10 Jul 2024, 12:50 (Ref:4218490)   #80
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Images from main and support races here. Despite the relatively high prevalence of fences for spectator snappers (by US standards) still lots of great spots to shoot from -

Last saw IndyCar at Sears Point in 2017 - the last race of the boxy rear wing cars IIRC. Have never been convinced about the look of the aero screen (aesthetically not safety wise) but looked better in real life than I thought it would. Cars sounded good. Hopefully the hybrid issues (Dixon / stalling in pit lane) will be short lived and not detract from the racing.

Great performance by Toby Sowery; understand that Jack Harvey was in pain so good to see him finish.

Thanks for the photos.
Old 11 Jul 2024, 01:38 (Ref:4218545)   #81
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
That's correct. No hybrid power in the pits, which IMHO, is pretty dumb, because we like sportscars!

i agree. Why not keep the system engaged in pit lane? If a car stalls when pitted, it seems safer to have the onboard starter functional rather than have the pit crew scrambling to get a starter over the wall and be exposed to traffic in a busy cramped pit lane.
Old 11 Jul 2024, 02:08 (Ref:4218547)   #82
mstets
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There aren't any vacant seats in F1 and if and when they do become available, F1 always looks first to F2 and F3 as they are sanctioned by the FIA.

Emphasis on available. The closure of F1 to new entrants seems short sighted to me. I'm glad that I was around when a talented driver from F2 or any other series stood half a chance of getting a start in F1. Even though the expense to field a team has gone up exponentially and Lord Hesketh wouldn't have a chance now, the series would be more interesting if there were more new drivers and entrants - every year.
Old 11 Jul 2024, 03:23 (Ref:4218550)   #83
mstets
Racer

Quote:

Are you living in the USA or on holiday? Good to hear that you enjoyed the race. What track in the UK would you think is similar? I am thinking of Oulton Park even though I've never seen it. Oulton was sort of the home track for Chevron, and I was working on a B24 when I first visited Mid Ohio. That B24 (chassis 24-73-02) won the first race of the 1973 UK F5000 season at Brands Hatch. I was hoping to find that it ran that year at Oulton Park but it seems it wasn't entered in either round in 1973. B24s finished 1, 2, 3, and 5 in the first round at Oulton and 1, 2, 3 in the 2nd. Interested to hear if the two tracks are similar. In Can-Am trim the B24 was good on fast tracks (Mosport, Road America, Road Atlanta, Edmonton) but we struggled at Mid Ohio. In practice our driver/owner got Tom Klausler to make a few laps in the car to see if he had any suggestions. He didn't go any quicker and when he got out his only comment was "That's a pretty nice car".

Sorry for the thread drift.
Old 11 Jul 2024, 03:43 (Ref:4218551)   #84
mstets
Racer

[QUOTE=broadrun96;4218340]It was just hot hot hot the area. That was a warm day but seemed like tires and cars handled it. The crowd looked to be pretty good, it's on my list to get to one day as it's now second closest road course and the closest Indy road course is not great (Barber)
/QUOTE]

What do you dislike about Barber? Of the current tracks that I haven't been to, Barber would be the one I'd most like to visit.
Old 11 Jul 2024, 03:51 (Ref:4218552)   #85
mstets
Racer

Quote:

Thanks for the photos. Indycar needs someone like you to photograph the cars at the beginning of each race weekend so we can attempt to learn the new liveries before the race starts.
Old 11 Jul 2024, 12:23 (Ref:4218599)   #86
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
[QUOTE=mstets;4218551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
It was just hot hot hot the area. That was a warm day but seemed like tires and cars handled it. The crowd looked to be pretty good, it's on my list to get to one day as it's now second closest road course and the closest Indy road course is not great (Barber)
/QUOTE]

What do you dislike about Barber? Of the current tracks that I haven't been to, Barber would be the one I'd most like to visit.
Sight lines outside of buying a museum pass are terrible, you have to be further away to see as the track is recessed from multiple fan areas. The track management is a clear and polite as mud, and something I've heard from multiple people who have visited and we found out ourselves. Managing traffic on the way out was completely crazy, by that I mean they seemed to go home first and leave it to everyone to figure out on their own
Old 11 Jul 2024, 12:28 (Ref:4218601)   #87
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Are you living in the USA or on holiday? Good to hear that you enjoyed the race. What track in the UK would you think is similar? I am thinking of Oulton Park even though I've never seen it. Oulton was sort of the home track for Chevron, and I was working on a B24 when I first visited Mid Ohio. That B24 (chassis 24-73-02) won the first race of the 1973 UK F5000 season at Brands Hatch. I was hoping to find that it ran that year at Oulton Park but it seems it wasn't entered in either round in 1973. B24s finished 1, 2, 3, and 5 in the first round at Oulton and 1, 2, 3 in the 2nd. Interested to hear if the two tracks are similar. In Can-Am trim the B24 was good on fast tracks (Mosport, Road America, Road Atlanta, Edmonton) but we struggled at Mid Ohio. In practice our driver/owner got Tom Klausler to make a few laps in the car to see if he had any suggestions. He didn't go any quicker and when he got out his only comment was "That's a pretty nice car".

Sorry for the thread drift.
Bucket list holiday - The Glen, Road America, Mid Ohio. Latter felt somewhere between Oulton Park and Brands Hatch. Thoroughly enjoyed watching races at all three and much nicer than my local track here Silverfence.
Old 11 Jul 2024, 13:45 (Ref:4218611)   #88
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Thanks for the photos. Indycar needs someone like you to photograph the cars at the beginning of each race weekend so we can attempt to learn the new liveries before the race starts.

IndyCar have a spotter guide for each race. If you go to SCHEDULE at the top of the web page, you will see a blue box under each race and then go to Race Info, under that there is another blue box with the link to Spotter Guide.

This is the link for the spotter guide to Race 1 but as it is a double-header, the liveries are the same for both races.

https://www.indycar.com/Schedule/202.../spotter-guide

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 11 Jul 2024 at 16:05. Reason: Info correction.
Old 11 Jul 2024, 15:41 (Ref:4218616)   #89
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Last saw IndyCar at Sears Point in 2017 - the last race of the boxy rear wing
Nice shots, there! Especially like how you found a way to catch some cars through the camera fence hole while the photog provided a path!

Thanks for sharing!