Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Sep 2010, 14:32 (Ref:2754459)   #226
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
I don't want anything to do with GT-Pro-Am you can save that shhh for Europe. This is the ACO answering a question nobody asked. Nobody is asking can we dumb down the class enough so Seth can have a chance to win his own class or adding yet another ceremony and trophy presentation. As I said GTC is a ALMS creation, the ACO doesn't have such a class so adding used GT(2) cars to get the grid is their way of addressing that, if it was a problem and I don't believe it was. They just want more entries ($$$) at the main event.

We have some non-career drivers in GTC currently. This would carry over and that's fine driver makeup, we don't need the additional complication in the ALMS.
GTC is a short term fix to boost grids on a budget.

If teams can afford to run R8's and SLS's they can run a front running GT2 car.

I doubt a team like AJR is in that position but they could conceivably run a year or two old 911 RSR or M3.
Old 4 Sep 2010, 22:15 (Ref:2754578)   #227
Racer

6157 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post

L.P.
He makes a completely valid point about lack of opportunities for professional drivers to get paid, a point which MANY others have made in sportscar racing over the years and this is your response?

If certain people made this post, it would most assuredly earn them a ban.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2754776)   #228
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6157 View Post
He makes a completely valid point about lack of opportunities for professional drivers to get paid, a point which MANY others have made in sportscar racing over the years and this is your response?

Hmm, 6 posts in a row with a gambit of subject matter, mostly in a contentious vein. Seems like fishing for an argument to me!!

As to being disgruntled for having been reprimanded for not following the rules.....

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 5 Sep 2010 at 16:00.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2754797)   #229
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6157 View Post

C'mon man, just stick your head back in the sand like everyone else. Everything is gonna be great, just think, if you only knew what I know. Go get ready for the Oklahoma City grand pri...oh.

Oops.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 01:44 (Ref:2754971)   #230
bludd billz
Rookie

bludd billz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteric View Post
I would like to see FIA GT3 cars allowed in Grand Am ..with a weight rule for tube frame cars..eventually a large field of cars would be a great promotion for the teams/manufactuers to race...the prototypes are over hyped ... lemans and sebring are great..but most sports car fans like seeing someting they can buy being raced..have a few events daytona, sebring,watkins glen, atlanta ,endurance races ..invite the big cars and get a big crowd ..but the rest have a large GT series racing
What are you basing this on? I feel sports car fans are well-acquainted with the idea of the purpose-built prototype and like them quite a bit. For some on this board the prototype is an indispensable part of the sport.

Honestly, I think fans will come and watch if the grids are healthy and there is factory support, be it prototype or GT racing. The challenge is to figure out which is more viable for attracting factories and privateers at the time (the great question for any discipline!).
Old 7 Sep 2010, 23:06 (Ref:2755983)   #231
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Yeah those six post is like connecting the dots - Legends Cars + Grand Am = NASCAR.

Dawg is right does seem like a Fishing Expedition looking for an argument.

I think its quite well known how I feel about Grand Am and its sub-par series.

They can do whatever they like, however they will not bring over GT3 cars in full FIA spec because they would horribly outclass current GT cars and challenge the Proto-Turtle in overall pace. This is why they dialed back the GT cars in the first place after TGR embarrassed them by winning The Daytona 24 with a GT2 car.

IMSA can handle the transition, it just has to be agreed upon. It seem to me the players in GTC would like to push the ball forward. The class needs variety it currently doesn't have and as I said teams with older car will be looking to replace them anyway. The teams with 2010 cars according to Speed King says they can be converted to GT3-R spec, Porsche Motorsport NA can offer such an upgrade package, if they know there's a market.

@540 we agree more than you think...

As for Drivers, professional drivers -

I couldn't tell you much, I'm not familiar with that side of racing as much as I would like and that's also because unlike the major stick and balls sports in America, most drivers are private contractors and are not at liberty to discuss how much they get paid. I don't see paid factory drivers coming forward with their incomes either.

What I can say is that personal sponsors and factories do pay fairly well. If I'm not mistaken Jorg lives in SF these days and that ain't cheap by no stretch of the imagination. I also thought Pat Long lives in the FL South Beach area and that's not cheap. That's proof being a factory drivers pays fairly well.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 02:42 (Ref:2756014)   #232
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
C'mon man, just stick your head back in the sand like everyone else. Everything is gonna be great, just think, if you only knew what I know. Go get ready for the Oklahoma City grand pri...oh.

Oops.
I can't believe Grand Am is so insecure that it has you two employees post here and attack your superior competitor.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 15:06 (Ref:2756219)   #233
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
I can't believe Grand Am is so insecure that it has you two employees post here and attack your superior competitor.
Wow.

I mean, really, just wow.

Not doing much to dispell that "slow" stereotype about canadians, are ya, eh?
Old 8 Sep 2010, 15:21 (Ref:2756227)   #234
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Wow.

Not doing much to dispell the notion of nascar folk being a bunch of ignorant hicks, eh? Employees, team members, whatever... Looks like I hit a nerve. Your agenda here is so transparent. What are you guys so afraid of? The more racing series, the better. Just because you are intimidated by technology and carbon fibre doesn't give you the right to make a lame attempt of a personal attack on me. I will not comment further to avoid wasting the time of fellow members of this community. Perhaps the mods will so us all a favour and let you sit this one out for a bit...
Old 8 Sep 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2756267)   #235
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Wow.

Keep the personal attacks out of this or you'll take a "vacation"

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 8 Sep 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2756296)   #236
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Keep the personal attacks out of this or you'll take a "vacation"
Sweet, I hear Maui's nice this time of year.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2756302)   #237
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Funny how the ban-hammer is never far away at the slightest mention of Grand Am...
Old 8 Sep 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2756303)   #238
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Sweet, I hear Maui's nice this time of year.
Is there a time of year when Maui isn't nice!
Old 8 Sep 2010, 17:57 (Ref:2756305)   #239
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Funny how the ban-hammer is never far away at the slightest mention of Grand Am...

Yes, it is rather predictable that when Grand Am enters the conversation there are sightings of critters that usually dwell under bridges and in caves.

L.P.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 19:35 (Ref:2756354)   #240
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Yes, it is rather predictable that when Grand Am enters the conversation there are sightings of critters that usually dwell under bridges and in caves.
Quote:

Old 8 Sep 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2756364)   #241
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It has nothing to do with grand-Am and everything to do with a personal attack by picchiofan on Canada ALMS Fan.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 8 Sep 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2756392)   #242
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I thought it was quite funny actually !!!

You cant seriously like the look of those Grand-Prams !!!
Old 9 Sep 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2756753)   #243
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dyson's Lola chassis that they are going to be campaigning at Utah and next season is said to be the ex-Krohn chassis. My memory is a little fuzzy on this matter, but I though Krohn had two chassis and one was wrecked badly. Am I remembering correctly, or did they just stop running the 2nd chassis for other reasons?
Old 9 Sep 2010, 15:37 (Ref:2756810)   #244
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Just seen a pic of the Lola DP ..... its the best looking DP ever , if you can say its good looking at all .

Takes the Irish to show ye how to make a good looking car , eh !!!
Old 10 Sep 2010, 05:53 (Ref:2757125)   #245
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Honestly, I can't remember whether one's been wrecked more often than the other, but they've each had more than a few prangs. Tracy of course is prone, but van de Poele has had a couple of biggies in his time in the car too!

In the end it's a pro-am lineup anyway, so as long as it still drives predictably it's probably going to fit the bill fine, even if it's off the ultimate pace.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 04:17 (Ref:2769553)   #246
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Marshall Pruett takes an interesting look at how Grand Am may look in 2012.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...s-set-for-2012

With some great design studies by Andy Blackmore (andy_b).

http://www.andyblackmoredesign.com/grandam

Top stuff Andy-as always.

Last edited by rich07; 5 Oct 2010 at 04:23.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2769681)   #247
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The DP's still look like crap. I don't know what direction they want to take the series in, but apparently it is not the right one for sports car racing. NASCAR needs to worry about NASCAR with its record low TV rating and rows of empty seats that accompany every track. I think the bubble is soon to burst.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 14:06 (Ref:2769775)   #248
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
I think Andy's renders make the DP's look a lot better. I am not sure how they will do the modifications outlined by Marshall but keep the price point where teams need/want it in GA. It sounds like bending the roll cage will be an issue, and all that new body work has to cost quite a bit, especially if the series continues its rubbing is racing spirit.
Old 5 Oct 2010, 14:21 (Ref:2769784)   #249
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I think Andy's renders make the DP's look a lot better. I am not sure how they will do the modifications outlined by Marshall but keep the price point where teams need/want it in GA. It sounds like bending the roll cage will be an issue, and all that new body work has to cost quite a bit, especially if the series continues its rubbing is racing spirit.
Realistcally, though, teams have raced their cars as long as they could expect to... some of the chassis in the series are 7 or 8 years old, and that's of course quite a long time. Switching to new chassis should thus not be all that hurtfull, but rather be seen as a natural process.
If they are smart - and I think Bledsoe is -, they'll allow the older cars to stay in the series at least until 2014 and phase them out gradually...
Old 5 Oct 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2769799)   #250
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
thanks guys. I think an all-new car is out of the question, hence this discussion of an update on the existing chassis over an all-new car, as outline by Marshall.