Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 May 2010, 10:20 (Ref:2684708)   #26
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
erm, yes its actually very relevant.....its a common incorrect assumptuion that LMP2 is cheaper as they are smaller, they are actually just as expensive if not more than the LMP1.
You can make all of the assumptions you want to, but speaking as someone with access to the contracts I know what costs what. Anyway I can't be arsed to argue.
Old 5 May 2010, 11:15 (Ref:2684735)   #27
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
steady one there, arguing on 10-10ths.......us lot......never
Old 5 May 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2684889)   #28
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why is there a distinction being made between a production based engine like the Nissan V8 and a GT2 homologated one like the Ferrari V8?

Would a GT2 engine be more sophisticated/expensive, hence having a smaller capacity.

* 4.0 ltr production based petrol engine homologated to 2010 LM GT2
* 4.5 ltr production based petrol engine
* 4.0 ltr production diesel engine with induction as per the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSnaka View Post
Looks like a great effort! Seems like they are already exceeding the ACO horsepower goal of 420 for LMP2 next year. Is this set in stone? i.e. if a team comes up with a production engine putting out a lot more power will they be restricted? Just trying to get my head around the 2011 rules/changes... http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/future.asp
Goals, targets, they're just a rough guide.

Last edited by JAG; 5 May 2010 at 16:54.
Old 5 May 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2684950)   #29
betablocker
Rookie

England
London
betablocker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=JAG;2684889]Why is there a distinction being made between a production based engine like the Nissan V8 and a GT2 homologated one like the Ferrari V8?

As far as im aware, it is a 4ltr engine which is a production engine and is to the same rules as a ferrari. Im probably wrong though.

Just to add my 2pence worth to the argument going on, i can see 250k being spent on engines for a sesaons running - 6 races and a half decent test package. Yeah a few rebuild there and 2 engines for lemans so yep i can definately see that.
Old 6 May 2010, 00:52 (Ref:2685094)   #30
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
This sounds very interesting.

A bit of a side note, but wasn't Ian involved with some major program or other back in the IMSA GTP days? I just can't recall off hand which program it was. Since everyone seems skeptical of the guy, I thought a look back on his larger track record might be helpful.
Ford Probe GTP and also the Richard Lloyd Racing 962C. Sure there are others, these are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.
Old 6 May 2010, 01:31 (Ref:2685101)   #31
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Thanks, Mike.
Old 6 May 2010, 07:42 (Ref:2685181)   #32
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=betablocker;2684950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Why is there a distinction being made between a production based engine like the Nissan V8 and a GT2 homologated one like the Ferrari V8?

As far as im aware, it is a 4ltr engine which is a production engine and is to the same rules as a ferrari. Im probably wrong though.
very good question and correct!........I think the concessions that the ACO have given to IES for the new Nissan V8 LMP2 are an admission that they have yet again made a cock-up in the engine rules, expecting teams to use a near standard mass production road car engines for LMP2 endurance racing is a joke, standard con-rods, pistons and crankshafts will just not last the distance, all engine builders have been there, done that, and got their fingers burnt, its just a false economy.......hence IES also realised this and went the GT2 route via politley asking the ACO to follow the Ferrari GT2 benchmark weights and layout..........I expect to see many more GT2 engines to be used in LMP2.......and I expect to see no standard road car engines......... yes Sodemo did the BMW V8, but that thing is mostly a race motor to start with - a very impressive piece of kit, even in the road car!

to my knowledge Ian has been about a bit, chief mechanic at Lotus F1, Richard Lloyd Porsches, MD of Pacific F1, MD of Zakspeed, GRID leMans car, ran an F3000 team for David Coulthard, ran Justin Wilson in a junir formulae, GTP, won LMP2 with the nissan-multimatics lola in 2000ish, Danka Ferrari LeMans programe, now his main business is restoring and running group C cars in the historic series.......I went to his workshop last year......my jaw was on the floor!!!!......some serious toys were present!

Last edited by knighty; 6 May 2010 at 07:48.
Old 6 May 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2685203)   #33
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I didnt realise that Ian Dawson had such a vast pedigree .....
Old 6 May 2010, 09:28 (Ref:2685230)   #34
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Dawson's track record is one of the reasons I've taken ECO a lot more seriously than some of the other more vapourware like entries. There's no question that there's a lot of experience and ability there, and the fact that they are trying something both different and hard impresses me a lot.

Sure, the Radical Nissan is unlikely to win anything, but I'd take it over a flock of LMPCs any day of the week.
Old 6 May 2010, 15:07 (Ref:2685414)   #35
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

very good question and correct!........I think the concessions that the ACO have given to IES for the new Nissan V8 LMP2 are an admission that they have yet again made a cock-up in the engine rules, expecting teams to use a near standard mass production road car engines for LMP2 endurance racing is a joke, standard con-rods, pistons and crankshafts will just not last the distance, all engine builders have been there, done that, and got their fingers burnt, its just a false economy.......hence IES also realised this and went the GT2 route via politley asking the ACO to follow the Ferrari GT2 benchmark weights and layout..........I expect to see many more GT2 engines to be used in LMP2.......and I expect to see no standard road car engines......... yes Sodemo did the BMW V8, but that thing is mostly a race motor to start with - a very impressive piece of kit, even in the road car!
I still think a stock engine with endurance parts a good formula! I think the ACO went too far in allowing the configuration of said parts in the IES engine to be changed. Generally, the metallurgy of the stock parts is not good enough for this application and changing that is pretty much a necessity to get any life out of them (crank, rods, pistons and valve train), and allowing that to be changed understandable. IMO where the ACO cocked it up is by allowing the engine to be re-engineered!

L.P.
Old 6 May 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2685424)   #36
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
It isn't as if they are dealing with a pure road car engine. This engine started out life as the Infiniti Pro Series block.
Old 6 May 2010, 18:06 (Ref:2685509)   #37
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So the IES Nissan V8 has been built to GT2 specs, therefore is 4l.

As the ACO have made these concessions for the Nissan, could we assume GT2 Chevy and Ford engines may be allowed to run at their GT2 capacities, as at 4l they would presumably not be competitive.
Old 6 May 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2685514)   #38
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Perhaps, but only choked to death by microscopic restrictors compared to the other engines.
Old 6 May 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2685524)   #39
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Perhaps, but only choked to death by microscopic restrictors compared to the other engines.
But isn't it the case that the GT2 Chevy and Ford V8's cannot be competitive at 4l, the extra capacity is needed to be on a level playing field with the likes of the GT2 4l Ferrari V8.
Old 6 May 2010, 18:50 (Ref:2685543)   #40
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
It isn't as if they are dealing with a pure road car engine. This engine started out life as the Infiniti Pro Series block.

it is!!!!......I feel well positioned to comment on that as I did some design work on that engine when at TWR race engines just before the organisation went pop......forget comparisons with the infiniti pro-series engine, IES are doing this from scratch via using crate engines.........believe me when I say the standard infiniti road car engine is nothing special and does not compare to engines like the BMW or ferrari.

any alloy block MASS production engine is generally designed with one major consideration - lowest cost to meet emissions, durability and NVH requirements.....the materials will only be good enough to the job they were designed for, hence i believe IES did the right thing in replacing the highly stressed parts......anyway, lets not get caught up on the fine detail, the ACO have let them do it, so lets see how it performs.......this engine represents the future direction of general LMP racing so it wil be an interesting story to watch......as a minimum I'm thinking they must beat the LMPC cars
Old 7 May 2010, 00:18 (Ref:2685728)   #41
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
IES are doing this from scratch via using crate engines.........

Strange... the people I know at Nissan attached to the project say otherwise. It's always funny in this sport, how you could talk to four different people, and get five stories.
Old 7 May 2010, 09:02 (Ref:2685848)   #42
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
IES do have very good links with NISMO, a few years back they provided RollCentre dallara LMP900 engine, a V6 3.6 litre twin turbo engine which raced at LeMans, it was basically a NISMO engine from the japanese GT championship........anyway, the new LMP2 4.0 engine is based on the Nissan Infiniti 4.5L V8 mass productyion engine, which is refered to as the VK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VK_engine

The very same engine platform is being used in the Japanese GT championship .........hint hint........ so there is quite likley some parallels / tech transfer there between IES and NISMO, but if they are playing silly buggers and racing re-cast blocks to a different design to standard from the mass production items, they should expect to get into trouble if caught........but hey, I have seen plenty of other manufacturers do it openly, and the rule makers traditionally turn a blind eye to a big manufacturer programme.

But as far as the infiniti pro-deries engine is concerned, that thing was a cross-plane crank engine for a single seater on ovals, therefore the cams, crank, exhaust and intake system will be quite different......... but the blocks and heads could be useful. To be honest the pro-series engine was a horrid thing, considering it was a fully stressed engine, the bottom end was very flimsy and poorly designed, the sump was basically a cover, it should have included the main bearing caps to make it a fully rigid & stiff structure for a fully stressed installation........it was cheap at best........TWR had alot of engine failures!

From what I'm reading in June/July 2009 issue of race tech mag IES did a complete re-design from scratch, there is a 5 page technical article fully detailing the design process........but they could be being efficient with the truth!!!!
Old 9 May 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2687176)   #43
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so what are the costs for a Judd engine then?
Old 20 May 2010, 20:54 (Ref:2695019)   #44
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did they get a new chassis to fit the Nissan engine because i see there are two Radical rolling chassis for sale which appear to be the Eco racing diesel cars. http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listin...g_Chassis.html

The Nissan powered car looks good in the black and gold livery hope to see it on track at some point this season either in Lms or Alms.
Old 28 May 2010, 14:49 (Ref:2699957)   #45
Panhard
Rookie

United Kingdom
Florida
Panhard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Judd has a new lease deal to keep up with the current economic climate.
An LMP2 endurance engine can be leased for 52,000 pounds stirling for LeMans. I am not sure what the season deal is maybe asking Judd?
What part of Essex you in Knighty??
I am a Hadleigh boy now in Florida
Old 1 Jun 2010, 19:09 (Ref:2702721)   #46
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I was digging back through various websites looking up some old cars (Lotus 88, Brabham BT46, etc), and stumbled across another tidbit from Ian Dawson's past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vrE3yLqfe4
Old 1 Jun 2010, 19:43 (Ref:2702746)   #47
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I was digging back through various websites looking up some old cars (Lotus 88, Brabham BT46, etc), and stumbled across another tidbit from Ian Dawson's past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vrE3yLqfe4
gotta love the tow start by the station wagon..
Old 1 Jun 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2702773)   #48
JAG
Veteran

England
That's some rare footage, you hardly ever see that car running!
Old 1 Jun 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2702795)   #49
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Fantastic find - some really nice footage.

The P351 may have had a legit claim to least successful BRM, if not least successful Group C car, but it was a very nice looking car.

Nice too to see Ian Dawson's penchant for tilting at windmills. For all the BRM did little or nothing on the track, I'd still have taken it in the bleak last year of Group C over the alternative of nothing at all.
Old 3 Jun 2010, 08:14 (Ref:2703679)   #50
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
Yeah, great find, turns out the 3.5L V12 engine supplied by Terry Hoyle (legendary engine builder, but not an engine designer) was actually the Weslake V12 that Harry Weslake designed for Ford back in the 70's....... when Ford got the jitters about ferraris V12 being too competitive in F1, so they comissioned Harry to design a 3.0 V12 to cover their options, turns out it was too heavy and not as powerful as the good old Cosworth DFV V8........all they did was enlarge it to 3.5 Litres for the group C car........I must say the car did look the part, but seems it always went pop too soon........you have to hand it to John Mangoletsi, looks like they had good intentions at heart.

spoke to Ian a few days ago, tested at snetterton again last week, the week before that at spa, the car and engine package is aparrently going great, no times though.