Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 20 Sep 2011, 13:43 (Ref:2958523)   #26
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
^ Wow, that's a long way to come 5 years in a row. Must be a great event. I am having those same feelings about this year, but come by and say hello on your fifth trip, Canada.

EDIT: BTW, is that Risi Fiat coming into turn 6 at Road ATL in your Avator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Google maps is showing the two about .2 miles from each other. Can anyone not making $40 dollars by my parking verify? I just backpack; no cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
I'm basing my information off of what the Road Atlanta person said to me on the phone.

She said Lanier Speedway is "right across the street" from Road Atlanta, but it is about one and a half miles to turn 6.

Parking there is free and there are shuttles that run, but there is no set schedule.

This is what I was told.
If you park at Lanier, bring your walking shoes. If you park inside the track after Thursday, be good at shoe horning your vehicle into a tight spot and bring your walking shoes. There are shuttles (which I have never used), but as stated, they are kind of all over the place.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 20 Sep 2011 at 13:53.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 13:49 (Ref:2958525)   #27
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I know I saw the campsite pics. And you will have to look for a new landmark anyways, as our Camel GT banner was stolen last year.
We'll find those sorry SOBs! That sux, man. Hate that my home track is the one to blame.

Quote:
I think my pops and I will be arriving mid day on Wednesday. Still trying to work out the logistics, but with my much longer drive now to get to ATL I am looking at staying in Louisville Tuesday night and then getting an early start to the rest of the drive Wednesday.
That is a trek and love the commitment! We'll have a couple cold ones on ice for you and Pops When you get there.
Safe journey.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2958731)   #28
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Google maps is showing the two about .2 miles from each other. Can anyone not making $40 dollars by my parking verify? I just backpack; no cooler.
Quote:
I'm basing my information off of what the Road Atlanta person said to me on the phone.

She said Lanier Speedway is "right across the street" from Road Atlanta, but it is about one and a half miles to turn 6.

Parking there is free and there are shuttles that run, but there is no set schedule.

This is what I was told.
She was correct, they are directly across the street from each other. You can see the speedway from T11 and vice versa. Check out google maps sat view. I just spoke to someone that parked there race day last year morning and took the shuttle in. He said it worked great, but he arrived at 7am. He walked out to his car but he is in pretty good shape. I have walked the long way to the support paddock and it wasn't bad.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 20:57 (Ref:2958757)   #29
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So where are the crossover bridges at?

One on the front stretch and one at 10a-10b?

Anymore?
Old 20 Sep 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2958780)   #30
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
So where are the crossover bridges at?

One on the front stretch and one at 10a-10b?

Anymore?
There's a walk brigde at "turn" 8 that I've never seen anyone use and that you will not use. There is a tunnel under the braking zone for turns 10a/b that will "by pass" the congestion at vendor village.

The 10a/b bridge is a ROAD/walk bridge from the main entrance to the main infield, where the first thing you will pass is the car corrals as you head towards vendor village. The walk bridge on the front stretch merely connects the support paddock to main paddock, but would be a good place to get over if you are parking at Lanier. It will dump into the garage area before strap on harness, carabiners and ropes to climb the hill out of the main paddock.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 20 Sep 2011 at 21:58.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 22:26 (Ref:2958807)   #31
gregtummer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
There's a walk brigde at "turn" 8 that I've never seen anyone use and that you will not use. There is a tunnel under the braking zone for turns 10a/b that will "by pass" the congestion at vendor village.

The 10a/b bridge is a ROAD/walk bridge from the main entrance to the main infield, where the first thing you will pass is the car corrals as you head towards vendor village. The walk bridge on the front stretch merely connects the support paddock to main paddock, but would be a good place to get over if you are parking at Lanier. It will dump into the garage area before strap on harness, carabiners and ropes to climb the hill out of the main paddock.
Thanks.

This is my first time going!

From what I have seen, it looks like you can't stand on the outside of turn 1? From all the races, I've only seen people on the inside of the turn.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 23:21 (Ref:2958838)   #32
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:

From what I have seen, it looks like you can't stand on the outside of turn 1? From all the races, I've only seen people on the inside of the turn.
Can't stand outside of T1 and you wouldn't want to after seeing how quick they can get into the tires out there. Inside T1 by the fence is an awesome place to watch as it is up close and personal and really REALLY fast. Top of the hill in T1 is great too.

Only places on the "outside" of the circuit where spectators are allowed is the grandstands on the front stretch (not that great), backstretch starting past T8 all the way under the bridge going into T12.

Not a bad seat (spot) in the house if you ask me.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 15:01 (Ref:2959112)   #33
monaro_gto
Rookie

United States
Atlanta, GA, USA
monaro_gto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess I should clean off all the Sebring crap from my camping gear this weekend. I already have a handle of Jack and 60 beers waiting. Just need to pick up some more beer and I will be ready to go! This will be my 6th year at turn 4!
Old 21 Sep 2011, 15:16 (Ref:2959117)   #34
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaro_gto View Post
I guess I should clean off all the Sebring crap from my camping gear this weekend. I already have a handle of Jack and 60 beers waiting. Just need to pick up some more beer and I will be ready to go! This will be my 6th year at turn 4!
That booze isn't left over from Sebring is it? Oh and there is an unofficial forum rule that if you state you are bringing whiskey to Petit you have to share it with me. I camp by turn 4 too, where should I look to find my whiskey?
Old 21 Sep 2011, 16:35 (Ref:2959151)   #35
monaro_gto
Rookie

United States
Atlanta, GA, USA
Just look for Field. I will be lurking around somewhere.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2959153)   #36
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Look for the normal flags in the normal spot, joeb. And we'll begin the fight over the whiskey...
Old 21 Sep 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2959196)   #37
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why are we fighting over whiskey? I always bring a handle too. I bring real manly stuff though, not that Tennessee sipping whiskey.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 20:10 (Ref:2959236)   #38
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I reckon we may be fighting after the whiskey is ingested.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 23:40 (Ref:2959324)   #39
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Why are we fighting over whiskey? I always bring a handle too. I bring real manly stuff though, not that Tennessee sipping whiskey.
I don't know what kind I'll bring. Since I moved to MI I haven't been able to find my old standard Early Times. Maybe I'll bring Bushmill's in honor of Steven Kane.

and what is manly whiskey?
Old 22 Sep 2011, 01:48 (Ref:2959363)   #40
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:

and what is manly whiskey?
Any whiskey that I am drinking.

We can get some Early Times for you if it is that important.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 02:02 (Ref:2959366)   #41
monaro_gto
Rookie

United States
Atlanta, GA, USA
Quote:
I reckon we may be fighting after the whiskey is ingested.
I reckon I might be passed out!
Old 22 Sep 2011, 07:12 (Ref:2959412)   #42
gregtummer
Veteran

What time does the grid walk begin and end?

I couldn't find it anywhere on the schedule.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 13:24 (Ref:2959551)   #43
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Any whiskey that I am drinking.

We can get some Early Times for you if it is that important.
Thanks Jeremy, but that won't be necessary. I drank it because it was cheap, not because it is the best tasting thing.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2959573)   #44
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:

We've been talking about that...last year the grid walk began almost right after morning warmup (apparently, I wouldn't know as I wasn't there ), but I remember that it usually gets started a good hour before they roll off the grid.

Anyone???

Quote:
Thanks Jeremy, but that won't be necessary. I drank it because it was cheap, not because it is the best tasting thing.
That's my theme at the track, and I know...I have had a few good times with Early Times .
Old 22 Sep 2011, 14:29 (Ref:2959578)   #45
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:

As said above, shortly after warmup the grid will be opened. Warmup ends at 9:40, and the race starts at 11:30. IMSA has "Pre-race activities" listed from 10:00 to 11:30, so the grid walk would be included in that. They will try and get people off of the grid around 11:00 so teams can get back to their cars.

In previous years the grid walk has been jam packed with people. I have found recently that it is actually nice to just walk down pit lane (the cars are down on the track). Pit lane is elevated a few feet above the track surface so you still get a good view, and there aren't any other times you get to be on pit lane, so it is nice.
Old 22 Sep 2011, 15:48 (Ref:2959597)   #46
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
I was about to say, we can do better than that. I've been into Basil Hayden right now, but probably just Jim or Wild Turkey for the race.

Quote:

I don't know 'cause I won't be anywhere near that mob. Just get to the track early and head for the paddock. You will get to see the cars up close and running.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2961166)   #47
monaro_gto
Rookie

United States
Atlanta, GA, USA
2 days away from heading to the track. Weather looks like it will clear out Tuesday night and we are all set for clear skies!
Old 26 Sep 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2961221)   #48
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Yup, can't wait! Looks like you are excited too... I've never seen you post as much. You should more often.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 17:23 (Ref:2961237)   #49
tmaier
Rookie

United States
Atlanta GA USA
tmaier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could someone post a picture of their ticket for this weekend? Someone on Craigslist is selling a few and I want to make sure they are the real deal.

Thanks in advance!
Old 26 Sep 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2961260)   #50
monaro_gto
Rookie

United States
Atlanta, GA, USA
yup. Its a little hard to focus on work right now Oh and your mag lite (I think its yours) was in my camping drawers.