Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Nov 2003, 21:54 (Ref:794450)   #26
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am positive that much of the decision was Hondas too. For a huge manufacturer like Honda to have to play second fiddle to Ferrari is insulting. Sure, Ferrari has money and influence in F1 but Honda is a larger and more powerful company worldwide. I dont think any of the teams on Bridgestone really want to be there with the exception of Ferrari. No one wins races with hand be down tires. Even at the end of last season JV was still running tires they used in the first race of the season. Ferrari had as much of a tire advantage over BAR as Michelins had with the "growing" tires.

The issue is not gaining a tire advantage but instead a manufacturer that will put the concerns of the team on par with the other teams it supplies. I am happy BAR is gone from BS, and the Ferrari first contracts. Mclaren smelled a rat two years ago and left BAR is smart to follow. I feel BAR could have been on pace with Renault last year if the tires were equal. Reliability is what would have shot them in the foot.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 01:11 (Ref:794573)   #27
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To some extent i agree with you neil.

I am always curious for a huge team like Mclaren, they actually cannot lever a contract which is to their benefits. At that time, Michelin being a new tyre manufacturer, in a bid for success would tend to be more willing to satisfy their customers.

I do have my doubts over the switch. It is a bet..that Michelins would be the better tyre next year (though a relatively safe bet). Curiously, why didn't Honda use this opportunity to grab themselves a better contract with BS?

BAR had proved their car is fast and capable of matching Renault. BS however had proved they are lacking in performance. Why not demand a better partnership, where they force BS to give them a better priority? Afterall, BAR is the only remaining team in BS bar Ferrari who can actually do a useful amount of tyre testing. In doing so, they could actually get pretty well made to order boots. And if the tires proved to better Michelin, BAR would look in good shape to get into the top 3.

However, now that they are on the same tires as their direct rivals, the ball is in their own court to build a better car. With Toyota and Renault and Jaguar looking to go from strength to strength as full factory outfit...how would this affect BAR?
Old 26 Nov 2003, 01:36 (Ref:794580)   #28
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree, its definitely a gamble to switch to the Michelins for next season. But I also think its a bit presumptive to assume they would have achieved superior results had they used the Michelins throughout 2003. It would be nice to know if they did attempt to secure a better contract and working relationship with Bridgestone.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 01:47 (Ref:794587)   #29
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
this will hurt Ferrari more than helping BAR .less cars for tyre development for BS
Old 26 Nov 2003, 02:24 (Ref:794605)   #30
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
The reason I assume BAR would have been better off with Michlins is that they (Michelin) had the better tire last year. So it only makes sense to me. I dont know if the switch hurts Ferrari that much either because their word counted above anyone elses anyway. Ferrari got the newest tires while the other teams struggled with what was left. Even if the BS tires are better next year I still feel BAR are better off because their voice will actually mean something. To me this is more about equal treatment, not better tires.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 02:35 (Ref:794615)   #31
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not exactly sure about it considering how many factory (read big ego) teams there are under Michelins.

Sure, it may be equal treatment..but some teams are more equal than the others.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 02:41 (Ref:794619)   #32
Kojima_KE007
Racer

Kojima_KE007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bridgestone tend not to treat people very well unless they are a championship winning team.

They have had similar sort of fall-out with Kojima back in 1977 when they were only a new-comer to Formula One as well...

I assume that Honda was part of this decision making, looking at what Bridgestone have done before.
Old 26 Nov 2003, 03:26 (Ref:794641)   #33
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the big deal and first for HONDA is to be on par and beat the upstart Toyota at a Game when Honda was an original player (murasama ha ha )
so with equal footing (pun intended) perhaps Honda can lessen the variables against its #1 rival, and in doing so beat Renault, BMW, Mercedes, then Ferrari (of course sauber was an obstacle to them to ;D)
Old 26 Nov 2003, 18:48 (Ref:795337)   #34
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Honestly, I think Honda is more concerned about the teams ahead of them than the ones behind them. Beating Toyota only means they beat a team that was marginally better than the underfunded Jordan. With the tire advantage they had last year there is no way BAR should have even been close.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 16:24 (Ref:796208)   #35
BARrouette
Racer

BARrouette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Now that JV is gone they are making good changes about time for their tire choice.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 16:33 (Ref:796216)   #36
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by BARrouette
Now that JV is gone they are making good changes about time for their tire choice.
That makes JV look bad...
Old 27 Nov 2003, 18:09 (Ref:796284)   #37
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
great for BAR if anything the Michies will get better in 2004!!