Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Aug 2004, 12:03 (Ref:1058131)   #26
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Running your official, nominated reserve driver for two races - how can that be force majeure?

Last edited by JohnMiller; 6 Aug 2004 at 12:04.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1058132)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is no need for that, posts deleted. Family forum, no person attacks, etc...

While Jenson leaving early might have an implication on legal matters. Jenson's early release speculation is pretty off topic and discussed elsewhere.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 12:07 (Ref:1058136)   #28
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, Friday champagne lunch again.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 12:10 (Ref:1058139)   #29
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any legal action is likely to severly sour Jenson's long term relationship with BAR should he be forced to drive for them next year. If BAR sue JB for breach of contract then try to make him drive for them I would doubt his motivation will be that high somehow. I would think they would let him go to Williams but seek a substantial compensation package.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 12:39 (Ref:1058178)   #30
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I really cannot see the experienced Frank Williams diving into this with no forethought. Hes as shrewd as mustard and has one of the best legal eagles in the business
Old 6 Aug 2004, 12:40 (Ref:1058179)   #31
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
IIRC, you can not be forced to work somewhere that you do not want to, so even if BAR do win, then JB will not be back there if he does not want to be.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 12:59 (Ref:1058199)   #32
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
1200Datto27 is right, the court will not force Jense to drive for BAR. The latter's only recourse is in damages.

Anyhoo, Richards has basically admitted he has no legal case...
Old 6 Aug 2004, 13:11 (Ref:1058213)   #33
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DR should enforce the contract, then leave Button on the sidelines, or give him no support at all. As in soccer, someone, sometime has got to stand up to these overpaid prima donnas. Another nail in the coffin of modern Grand Prix racing methinks.

DR
Old 6 Aug 2004, 13:16 (Ref:1058218)   #34
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dan Rear - this sort of thing has happened since F1 started.

And it keeps the sport in the news.

Which is good.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 13:19 (Ref:1058219)   #35
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently Williams can run one more driver this season.."Force Majeure" was because Gene stepped in for an injured driver, whereas Pizzonia was a designated change..or thats my understanding anyway.

There is no way that DR would release Button to drive this season..why would he help Williams? He may very well leave him on gardening duty for the rest of the year though, and put Davidson in until then. I doubt there is any way you will see Button in a Williams until Jan 1st 2005.

getting back to the point..someone has seriously screwed up here over the contract options. Either BAR have cocked it, or Buttons management have mis-understood the clauses.

One way or another someone is going to have a lot of egg on their face by the end of all this!
Old 6 Aug 2004, 13:21 (Ref:1058222)   #36
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt DR will try and wrangle with JB's Management and lawyer team much. I think he'll make the challange but pressure JB directly himself and try to convince him to stay at BAR of his own accord. The challenge might go ahead for financial compensation then.

I think it'll fail, but he has to try.

I'll back BAR to continue rising, DR to retain his leadership, and Davidson to get stuck in and Sato to keep getting faster. DR from what I can gather is a very good team maker. And someone mentioned BAR's lack of F1 wins.

Well, DR and Prodrive know how to win, and I think so far, they've proven they're on the right path. I think Button is Silly. If I was Davidson, I'd be laughing my head off. He's in with a real chance.

And yes, I bet JV is possibly laughing his head off too.

Something is also telling me Williams are responsible for the timing and early release of it. This will help destabilise the BAR effort and help them win points this season.

I hope BAR can punch through that, but I reckon it'll be hard.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 14:08 (Ref:1058282)   #37
JohnMiller
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by djinvicta
I really cannot see the experienced Frank Williams diving into this with no forethought. Hes as shrewd as mustard and has one of the best legal eagles in the business
Most common sense remark since the story broke.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1058442)   #38
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bashing is not allowed on ten-tenths. It is a discussion forum.

The same is true whether you SHOUT that DR is a loser or JV is a loser.

Keep on topic and discuss the "Legal Threat over Button-Williams".

Posts deleted, thanks.

Last edited by Adam43; 6 Aug 2004 at 16:12.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 16:15 (Ref:1058446)   #39
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Joe Rossi has understood the concept of 'force majeure' correctly. If your intended driver could be paralysed by getitng into a race car, it can hardly be called a voluntary change.

I think this change will take place early. All the pieces fit - there's a space for Ralf at Toyota, Davidson can do the remaining races and still be eligable to be 3rd driver next year if need be (in any case, he'll've showed whether he's up to racing), Jenson has a chance to get settled in at Williams (which could be a blow for Webber), and no one has to drive for a team which doesn't want them.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 16:17 (Ref:1058450)   #40
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think we'll see any of the 2005 changes happening early.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 16:27 (Ref:1058466)   #41
JohnMiller
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
Joe Rossi has understood the concept of 'force majeure' correctly.
But he's not is he. FIA rules say you can use four race drivers per team. Force majeure can only come into play if 3 of those 4 are unavailable for injury etc. That is not the case. Hence, if Ralf doesn't race, the only person who can reply Pizza is Gene?

I am willing to be proved wrong though!
Old 6 Aug 2004, 16:31 (Ref:1058469)   #42
Kicking-back
Veteran

You can use four drivers per team by choice.

Force majeure gives you an additional replacement who doesn't count as a driver change.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 16:31 (Ref:1058470)   #43
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly one hell of an interesting story this is going to make. Button seems to have his heart set on a Williams return, while Richards is obvioulsly absolutely seething that his star driver has decided to move on.

This one could get ugly before it's concluded.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 16:45 (Ref:1058481)   #44
JohnMiller
Veteran

Force majeure - means 'overwhelming force' - something stopping you from running two of your four drivers. As long as Gene and Pizza are fit they can't do it.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1058499)   #45
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnMiller
But he's not is he. FIA rules say you can use four race drivers per team. Force majeure can only come into play if 3 of those 4 are unavailable for injury etc. That is not the case. Hence, if Ralf doesn't race, the only person who can reply Pizza is Gene?

I am willing to be proved wrong though!
I don't know if I am right or not..I was going on what I read on another website
Old 6 Aug 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1058546)   #46
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You have to say though if Button does stay for 05 will he be as commited! by signing for Williams he has made it clear that hed rather be at Williams than Bar...
Old 6 Aug 2004, 18:12 (Ref:1058561)   #47
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If he stays for 05 he will be as committed as ever cos he will still want win. Deliberately underperforming would tarnish his image...and I think that will need a lot of polishing after the dust clears
Old 6 Aug 2004, 19:46 (Ref:1058674)   #48
Kicking-back
Veteran

JB will give his all every time he drives in a Grand Prix.

But there's absolutely nil chance of him being at BAR next year.
Old 6 Aug 2004, 20:35 (Ref:1058741)   #49
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This 'force majeure' thing is getting confusing, we've all got different understandings of the rule. Maybe the mdoerators can put this into a seperate thread, or someone can get the official rule to clarify things?
Old 6 Aug 2004, 20:43 (Ref:1058752)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I quote from:

http://www.nacmint.com/articles/art195.html

Invoking a Force Majeure Clause
Generally, a party may invoke a force majeure clause if an enumerated event occurs that is out of the party's control and prevents performance of a contractual obligation. The burden of proof is on the party seeking to invoke the force majeure clause. The force majeure event may either suspend or excuse a party's performance. It is imperative that the party invoking a force majeure clause provide written notice to the other party. This permits the party that is not in default to mitigate against the effects of a force majeure event.