Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Oct 2004, 12:30 (Ref:1112317)   #26
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
but crowd wise, and manufacturer wise the LMES will not be the biggest sporting event in the UK
It wasnt suggested that it would be but that it should benefit from the increased attention that Silverstone might now give it. This GP argument has got to have been like an albatross around their neck for years now and in many respects it may be after the dust has settled they breath a sigh of relief and get on with other things with renewed vigour
Old 1 Oct 2004, 13:01 (Ref:1112343)   #27
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
This is down to the reconstruction work at Donington though isn't it??
WTTC at Silverstone? Or is it just that Silverstone offered the better deal? SIlverstone to Donington is Shanghai to Silverstone.

Knock on for Sportscar? Well assuming the British GP won't go ahead (which it still could do). It might mean a little increase in size for Sportscar. However consider where Sportscar ranks in the scheme of things. The knock on effects are likely to be better for bikes and touring car.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 13:23 (Ref:1112362)   #28
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i believe this is a good thing for sportscars and i have to say i am dissapointed with the direction formula one has taken. i became a racing fanatic after i saw michael schumacher win the european grand prix in jerez in 94, but i can honestly say that i no longer care to watch F1 at this point as there is really no guess work involved. axing silverstone in my mind is akin to running the 24 hours of lemans on the bugatti circuit. how can you have a world championship involving 17 races and not a single race is run in great britain???

i know a lot of people feel the same way and i think there will definitely be people coming to the LMES event because they want to see CARS race at silverstone. F1 is gone so I think the LMES will pick up the flag.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 14:55 (Ref:1112451)   #29
917Addicted
Racer

917Addicted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well guys, everyone is rambling about no BGP next year. However, hasn't it been the same in the last few years? Yet, every year, the BGP has been stagged at Silva-stun

Not wanting to go OT, the thing is, if BRDC is not making money from the GP, then why the hell should they pay those 8 million pounds (hum, that's something like 11 million euros if i'm not completely mistaken ) to that greedy english guy??? Financelly wise, it's an awful deal, which makes the BRDC pump money from the club meetings (or the LMES event) to the "rich-boys playground".

So will it be better to Sportscars? Well, it "should" be better, granted the BRDC puts moke money to attract bigger crowds to the LMES event.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 15:14 (Ref:1112462)   #30
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is The LMES on the calander for Silverstone next year?
Old 1 Oct 2004, 15:18 (Ref:1112464)   #31
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As far as I am aware, yes.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 18:41 (Ref:1112684)   #32
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why not rename the silverstone 1000kms as the british grand prix as it probably will be the biggest international race in the uk next year. monaco did a similar thing in 1952.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 19:19 (Ref:1112717)   #33
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stevespurr
Is The LMES on the calander for Silverstone next year?
The LMES calander is not out yet, but Ratel has said that the race will take place on August 21st.
Old 1 Oct 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1112718)   #34
simon c
Racer

simon c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
I don't think the loss of the British GP will benefit sportcar/GT racing at all.

If anything it may hurt it. It could become tainted in the publics eye, tarred with the same brush, if the people that run the sport ie BE says the track is third rate and not good enough for F1, why would that induce the casaul punter to go the same track for a 6 hour race? It won't.

The reason the goodwood meetings are popular is (beside great racing) its a family day out, even a none motorsport fan can find something of interest that is not tacky or contrived.
NORDIC - Post number 962 for you. One of my favourite numbers
Old 1 Oct 2004, 19:47 (Ref:1112731)   #35
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
The LMES calander is not out yet, but Ratel has said that the race will take place on August 21st.
thats the same date as the alms race at road america! you would think that they would work around eachother's schedules (so at least the drivers can compete in both races)
Old 1 Oct 2004, 19:49 (Ref:1112732)   #36
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 19dodge
thats the same date as the alms race at road america! you would think that they would work around eachother's schedules (so at least the drivers can compete in both races)
I'm just going on the date that was said at the time, but if there is an ALMS race that weekend then it might change.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 11:40 (Ref:1113270)   #37
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I have my doubts about attracting more people to the LMES race after loosing the F1 race. There are a lott of F1 fans who are not aware that there are other forms of autosport beside F1.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 12:39 (Ref:1113313)   #38
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thing is, the British Grand Prix is still most likely to go ahead.
Old 2 Oct 2004, 13:17 (Ref:1113332)   #39
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree KB, this is just a Bernie negotiating ploy. There is just no way that the British GP will be allowed to fall away.

Besides, do you really want to see F1 die for sports cars to become more popular? There's more at stake here than just losing a race. Almost the whole motorsports industry in Europe is based in Great Britain, and the loss of this race could prove to be devastating to them in the long run.

Danica Patrick
Old 2 Oct 2004, 13:55 (Ref:1113356)   #40
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich R
why not rename the silverstone 1000kms as the british grand prix as it probably will be the biggest international race in the uk next year. monaco did a similar thing in 1952.
Is it allowed to use "British Grand Prix" for non-F1 events?
Old 2 Oct 2004, 18:53 (Ref:1113500)   #41
tblincoe
Veteran

im not so sure fellas, bernie has said that there is no way the british gp will go ahead for at least 2005... from the language of the BRDC and bernie it sounds like the chances of the british gp being held in 2005 is about zilch. keep in mind that bernie has to drop at least one race to get the turkish gp in for 2005 and keep the amount of races down to 17 as mandated by the concorde agreement.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 18:43 (Ref:1114194)   #42
Cadete
Racer

Cadete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the ammount of races can be more than 17 if the teams agree. this is where Bernie is gambling: he wants to put the new circuits in and to have the maximum number of races, so he puts has the races that need aproval from the teams races like the British GP, which the teams cannot afford to lose.
Old 3 Oct 2004, 20:52 (Ref:1114299)   #43
tblincoe
Veteran

ahh good point cadete
Old 3 Oct 2004, 22:29 (Ref:1114390)   #44
917Addicted
Racer

917Addicted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well said Cadete.

(PS: hope to see you at the historic meeting Cadete )

Last edited by 917Addicted; 3 Oct 2004 at 22:31.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 00:16 (Ref:1115468)   #45
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't really see Sportscars becoming the "new F1" to be honest.

I think, without the promotion, publicity, merchandising etc. of F1, people won't be attracted just by the racing. Because of the often endurance nature of sportscars, the casual viewing will probably find it "boring", and won't give it a chance.

Personally I love sportscar racing, along with all other racing. The great thing about going to an endurace event is the "relaxed atmosphere". Take the LMES at Silverstone this year, I was able to walk round the track a couple of times, take photos from loads of different vantage points, sit in the grandstands, walk round the paddock, and have a couple of pints in the bar, all while the race was going on. There was plenty of time to fit everything in, and still see plenty of racing, and at a relaxed pace.

But I don't think it's for everybody.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 01:11 (Ref:1115479)   #46
tblincoe
Veteran

i definitely dont think anyone was trying to say the sportscars would become the "new f1"... there are too many factors to even explain this, but i do think that people will take a second look at sportscars in the future due to the direction F1 is taking.
Old 5 Oct 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1115918)   #47
soper
Rookie

soper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about many thousands of British fans / consumers contacting F1 advertisers and informing them that unless the British Grand Prix remains on the schedule we will boycott their brands of petrol, oil, tabs, beer, office equipment, cars etc
Money talks, and a bit of pressure from worried sponsors may focus minds
Old 8 Oct 2004, 05:20 (Ref:1118612)   #48
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The loss of the BGP will not benefit sportscars (LMES) hugely, in terms of spectator numbers.

What will boost attendances is what is happening now, i.e. getting back to the classic events of the past that are known around the world. Sportscars are not suited to the rough and tumble sprint races that single seaters and touring cars excel at. The appeal of sportscar racing is the long distance events and the atmosphere that is unique to sportscars.

Its taken a hell of a long time, after many, many misguided attempts to chase TV ratings with 'sprint' sportscar races, but at last we are returning to sports racings endurance routes with the LMES. The teams, drivers and hardcore fans have embraced the series this year, and in time the manufactuers and a 'relatively' mainstream audience will also return to the sport.

Last edited by JAG; 8 Oct 2004 at 05:22.