Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Jan 2007, 04:38 (Ref:1820693)   #26
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Head Rev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raglanparade
Why cant we just lower the track below the horse racing track.. and raise the horse racing track a bit..

Id rather see then lower the circuit a bit and keep the current layout with permanent facilities.. it looks like the new paddock will be quite cramped.
What are you trying to say?

How can you say the paddock will be cramped when it hasn't even been built yet..... what you see on paper is different in real life!!!
Old 21 Jan 2007, 04:42 (Ref:1820695)   #27
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
There are two basic arguments over this. Should we keep the track, as brilliant as it is, or should we replace it with a permanent facility that will save money in the long run but may ruin the track?

Personally, I'd be willing to put up with a little track adjustment if the outcome was that you would be able to hold club events (or whatever) in the short, permanant part of the track. It means less setting up fees for the organisers and more revenue due to the other events held there.
A permanent track in the City of Adelaide parklands, don't let the Parks Preservation Assoc. see this post. Sorry Chatters, wont ever see that happening.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 06:47 (Ref:1872850)   #28
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
With reports today, radio, paper and TV, I don't think we will be seeing changes at Victoria Park for quite some time. The planned changes have been given the thumbs down by the Adelaide Council and the public meeting last night voted against any changes. Deputy Premier and Minister for Motorsport, Mr Foley put up a strong fight but came away battered and bruised. Did any else hear the big fight he had on 5AA this morning with Keith Conlon? Even delayed the 7.30 news so the huge argument could continue. They are planning to meet face to face live on radio again on Friday morning.

Lots of passion in this debate as I mentioned back in January.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 07:27 (Ref:1872861)   #29
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Channel 7 is advertising a secret plan for Victoria Park on their upcoming news
Old 21 Mar 2007, 07:32 (Ref:1872863)   #30
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the new track layout, if thats how it gets built.

The pit entry (as shown) may need to change, maybe having the entry mid corner (so the pitting cars are on the outside of the track, not the apex of the turn) or move it further back again, so the pitting cars have to turn the corner seperatly (probably not the better idea, being there wont be any runoff for the continuing cars)

Also looks like there turn 10 will now be a hairpin, as opposed to the original 90 degree left hander.

Not a fan of the sweeper going to the chicane, as mentioned will minimize over taking possibilities (but make the moves pulled off quite spectacular)
Old 21 Mar 2007, 07:42 (Ref:1872868)   #31
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by birtek
Channel 7 is advertising a secret plan for Victoria Park on their upcoming news
Which wont get very far either.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 08:12 (Ref:1872882)   #32
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
That is the capture - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DJH__-BIi0
Old 21 Mar 2007, 09:26 (Ref:1872930)   #33
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Not so secret, (more of a news beat up I think!) has been around for years, but as it was an Adelaide Council plan it was never widely publicised as it would have caused unrest among their constituents (rate payers).

I too would like to see some redevelopment, but it is unlikely in the current climate with different minority groups being heard the loudest, sad but true.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 09:54 (Ref:1872950)   #34
venturi
Racer

Australia
venturi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridventuri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Birtek for that

I have been going to the Adelaide circuit for 20 years now , starting in 87 wide eyed with my Dad setting up folding chairs at the outside of Stag corner early in the morning , I still remember the practice session that morning , the first time I heard a F1 car live

As I have grown up i've seen the circuit develop from an F1 track to hosting the V8's and even a twilight ALMS round , I have attended 95% of the events held there and am passionate about the development of the track and it's future .

Unfortunately I feel that South Australia is reverting again back to being controlled by a wowser element that will do anything to stop development , whether it be good for the state's interests or not .

If you have a look at the video that Birtek posted , 90% of the people at that meeting are elderly people , most of which would live in the inner Eastern suburbs adjoining the track - Rose Park , Dulwich , Kensington etc .These people are against any prolonged use of the eastern Parklands by the rest of S.A.'s population .

The percentage of land actually used to house this new grandstand is the same as the permanent concrete slab used for the pits at the moment .The redevelopment and removal of the currently run down Grand stands on Fullarton road plus the adding of many trees and updated facilities for the Horse racing which has been there many years anyway would be a huge plus for that particular area anyway .

We have a huge amount of parklands surrounding Adelaide on all four sides including a golf course and swimming centre (North Adelaide ) . Why should we be against a great facility on the eastern side that has benefits both for a majority of South Aussies who go out to enjoy horse racing or motorsports and actually puts in more trees and gets that area looking great again .

200,000 + people year in year out are not wrong , we are voting with our feet . Unfortunately a wealthy and connected group of elderly from the eastern suburbs who hate change and want the area for themselves only , are using their influence on politics here in S.A. . I applaud the current State Government in fighting them tooth and nail for the interests of the majority who work and pay taxes to enjoy this area that these people think they own .

I hope the circuit will have many more great years of racing to come as it's an absolute asset to the state and a place that holds many great memories for me personally
Old 21 Mar 2007, 10:55 (Ref:1872983)   #35
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturi
Thanks Birtek for that

I have been going to the Adelaide circuit for 20 years now , starting in 87 wide eyed with my Dad setting up folding chairs at the outside of Stag corner early in the morning , I still remember the practice session that morning , the first time I heard a F1 car live

As I have grown up i've seen the circuit develop from an F1 track to hosting the V8's and even a twilight ALMS round , I have attended 95% of the events held there and am passionate about the development of the track and it's future .

Unfortunately I feel that South Australia is reverting again back to being controlled by a wowser element that will do anything to stop development , whether it be good for the state's interests or not .

If you have a look at the video that Birtek posted , 90% of the people at that meeting are elderly people , most of which would live in the inner Eastern suburbs adjoining the track - Rose Park , Dulwich , Kensington etc .These people are against any prolonged use of the eastern Parklands by the rest of S.A.'s population .

The percentage of land actually used to house this new grandstand is the same as the permanent concrete slab used for the pits at the moment .The redevelopment and removal of the currently run down Grand stands on Fullarton road plus the adding of many trees and updated facilities for the Horse racing which has been there many years anyway would be a huge plus for that particular area anyway .

We have a huge amount of parklands surrounding Adelaide on all four sides including a golf course and swimming centre (North Adelaide ) . Why should we be against a great facility on the eastern side that has benefits both for a majority of South Aussies who go out to enjoy horse racing or motorsports and actually puts in more trees and gets that area looking great again .

200,000 + people year in year out are not wrong , we are voting with our feet . Unfortunately a wealthy and connected group of elderly from the eastern suburbs who hate change and want the area for themselves only , are using their influence on politics here in S.A. . I applaud the current State Government in fighting them tooth and nail for the interests of the majority who work and pay taxes to enjoy this area that these people think they own .

I hope the circuit will have many more great years of racing to come as it's an absolute asset to the state and a place that holds many great memories for me personally
Venturi, well said, couldn't have said it better, you have hit the nail on the head.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 11:31 (Ref:1873008)   #36
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well put Venturi

Mike
Old 21 Mar 2007, 12:10 (Ref:1873032)   #37
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Well said venturi, I dont think I have been to 95% of events there but since the last gp here I have only missed 1 V8 round and the alms event. It is a great event - not my favourite track but a great event.

I reckon we should try and get some of the motoring clubs together and all head to the next meeting to support the upgrade - that is the only for us to get any action.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 12:48 (Ref:1873062)   #38
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks Birtek for that

The problem with this development is in the end, it only benefits a select few. It makes no difference to the vast majority that attend horse racing or the Clipsal motor race if this development goes a head or not. Hence the amount of opposition to the proposal.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 14:02 (Ref:1873108)   #39
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by birtek
I reckon we should try and get some of the motoring clubs together and all head to the next meeting to support the upgrade - that is the only for us to get any action.
Birtek, there will be no next meeting, the current proposal is dead. We can only wait until something changes in the Adelaide council, and from past experience that could take years.

Getting motoring clubs together was suppose to happen at the Clipsal 500 with the signing of a petition etc and also via a web site. Obviously this did not have the effect it was hoping to achieve.

I think we will just need to be happy with what we have for the next 5 years or so.
Old 21 Mar 2007, 23:09 (Ref:1873474)   #40
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well said Venturi, Hit the nail on the head. Once again Adelaide development is held to ransom by its powerful minorities !!!!

I don't know politics but can someone tell my why it has to go to a vote, why can't the government just say 'stiff, we think its a great idea we're doing it'

Why do the wowsers get the opportunity to shoot this thing down ????
Old 21 Mar 2007, 23:16 (Ref:1873479)   #41
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Advertiser Article from today
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Advertiser
Mr Foley ruled out changing any aspects of the plan and said he would consider over-riding the council by introducing legislation to Parliament. If the council did not accept the current plan and the Government was unable to secure legislative support, the project would not proceed.
I like that, bring it on Kev
Old 22 Mar 2007, 04:52 (Ref:1873546)   #42
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I read another article in the paper one of the polies says it should be half the height and half the length. How brilliant is that !!!!! Build a new pit complex that can only house half the field !!!! Ha Ha Ha. This state is a joke.
Old 22 Mar 2007, 05:22 (Ref:1873550)   #43
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh really ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell
I read another article in the paper one of the polies says it should be half the height and half the length. How brilliant is that !!!!! Build a new pit complex that can only house half the field !!!! Ha Ha Ha. This state is a joke.
I live in Vic & Trev, you have been linked to all the two bit, non performing pollies that inhabit our State - your vote of confidence in them is apparently unheard of in political circles hence a 102% take up of your suggestion only SA pollies leave lots to be desired.
Onya Bracksy & Big Teddy aka the budgie smuggler !
Old 22 Mar 2007, 13:33 (Ref:1873761)   #44
ericthehalibut
Rookie

ericthehalibut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only Adelaide would consider throwing money behid a project that has 2, maybe 3 years life? FFS.
Old 22 Mar 2007, 21:59 (Ref:1874029)   #45
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalibut
Only Adelaide would consider throwing money behid a project that has 2, maybe 3 years life? FFS.
2 -- 3 years life?

Contact in place for the Clipsal to 2015 and horse racing has been there since year dot! Don't think that gives the new plans only 2 or 3 yrs of life.
Old 23 Mar 2007, 12:56 (Ref:1874459)   #46
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably only 2-3 years before the Burnside Mafia burn it down...
Old 25 Mar 2007, 05:33 (Ref:1875488)   #47
Head Rev
Racer

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1
Probably only 2-3 years before the Burnside Mafia burn it down...
LOL
Old 25 Mar 2007, 10:17 (Ref:1875659)   #48
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I reckon the suggested development is flawed. It's not a grandstand, it never was or will be. It's permanent corporate boxes, including the Premiers vip suite. All that money for 1 off Clipsal 500 a year and about 4 or 5 horse race meetings a year.
Waste of time and money.. we have more important needs here in Adelaide, like hospital beds and justice system reform
Old 27 Mar 2007, 05:35 (Ref:1877320)   #49
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

coming from a flying background and going through the process of certain "do-gooders" trying to close urban airports like Hoxton Park in Sydney and Essendon in Melbourne, i tend to disagree with the "local elderly minority" argument. Sure these airport arguments were regarding closure of a facility, rather than enhancing it, the same factor still applies. These airports had meetings to consider the local population wanting to have the airport closed. At the meeting regarding Essendon, anyone who was not a local resident before the airport was built (ie 95% of the attendance) were not allowed to vote on closing the airport. If it was already there before these people, then they had to like it or move.

Like the airport closure issue, this "local elderly minority" are most likely the people that have lived there from long a go, possibly before the horse racing track was built or was made into its current form. They should have a right to argue against the upgrade of the facility. It might look good in the end, but would YOU want bulldozers on your front doorstep for a couple of years of your retirement?

the facts that there will be extra environmental bonuses in the long run and i am an avid motorsport fan are side issues to the above argument.

As to the State Government over riding the local government, do you have the same thoughts for John Howard over-riding NT law for the development of a nuclear waste dump?

I know this is a motorsport forum, not a political forum, and i apologise for swearing with Johnies name, so i'll put it like this: do you agree with HRT flouting the ownership rules? Rules are rules, laws are laws, they should be followed.
Old 27 Mar 2007, 07:10 (Ref:1877358)   #50
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It doesn't matter about bulldozers being 'in their front yard' (despite the fact theres only 2 appartment buldings close enough to be effected) old people hate everything. If it doesn't raise their pention, they don't want it.