Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 26 May 2004, 06:16 (Ref:983417)   #51
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh I looked at that where are they now link and answered my own questions! Was'nt Pancho Johnnys half-brother?
Old 26 May 2004, 06:27 (Ref:983424)   #52
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yes certainly is a good thread.

But I fear of keeping within forum policies I may be forced to move it to the historic forum.
Old 26 May 2004, 06:39 (Ref:983435)   #53
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
umm ok, heres a question, whats the track temp today at IMS? does that make it current again ;-)
Old 26 May 2004, 06:52 (Ref:983448)   #54
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
very good
Old 26 May 2004, 07:15 (Ref:983456)   #55
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's a recent article;

Forced to Be Spectator, Stewart Still Fan of 500

There are some interesting tidbits, like...

Quote:
“I never would've had my opportunity to race at Indy if it weren't for Tony George and the IRL. If it had still been under the old format with CART, there never would've been a car owner who called me and said, 'Hey, we want you to come up and test for us.' I never would've gotten that opportunity. But I think I proved that with the opportunity I could do the job. Without the IRL a lot of guys would never have been able to show what they can do."
Never thought of it like that, and he certainly has a point.
Old 26 May 2004, 15:25 (Ref:984007)   #56
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jhansen
Bob, Billy Vukovich the 2nd, is Vuky the 3rd's father. Vuky the 2nd is the son of the late great Bill Vukovich. All from right here in the Central San Joaquin Valley of California. Vuky the 2nd also ran a few times at the Speedway. I believe he won ROY honors, as did Vuky the 3rd. Amazing family.

Bill V the 2nd was a Rookie of the Year (1968)...and he ran here for quite a few years....I believe he finished 2nd in 1973 in the "500"...but I'll look it up to be sure....I know he was running 2nd to Gordon Johncock in 1973...and believe he finished there...

Drove the "Sugar Ripe Prune Special"...probably a sponsor from the San Joaquin Valley...

I know for a fact that he was 3rd in 1974....I won 5 bucks in a draw that paid the Top 3 places...and Billy V. II was my pick...

Other families who have run at Indy, some with kids folloing Dad, others as brothers, etc...and I'll re-mention those from the earlier post...

Foyt
Unser
Andretti
Bettenhausen
Vukovich
Parsons
Carter (I think Pappy drove here...know Pancho did)
Jones (now that PJ made the show)
Kinser (I think they were brothers...Don't think Sheldon is the Dad)

and believe it or not: (and this is true!!!)

Villeneuve -- but not Gilles....Jacques!!!

Yes...the "Jacques" won the "500" had an uncle, also named "Jacques," who raced here one year...1986...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 26 May 2004, 15:32 (Ref:984020)   #57
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
Here's a recent article;

Forced to Be Spectator, Stewart Still Fan of 500

There are some interesting tidbits, like...

Never thought of it like that, and he certainly has a point.

I believe it was one of the BIG reasons why Tony formed the IRL....

CART was a "Closed Society" whee only a handful of "franchises" could compete....

Jeff Gordon's big dream was to run at Indy in the "500"....he never got the chance....

Tony was the next "talent" that was sure to get passed over...just like Jeff was...

Tony George had many reasons (all well-documented) for starting the IRL....but one big one was to give more drivers and more owners the opportunity to race at this level in open-wheeled Indy cars...

Old 26 May 2004, 18:14 (Ref:984204)   #58
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Oh...and a few other families....I think you might recognize some of these names....all competed in the Indy 500 race at some point...

Whittington (Bill, Don & Dale)
Yarborough (Cale & LeRoy)
Allison (Bobby and Donnie)
Fittipaldi (Emmo & Christian)
Lazier (Bob (The Dad!) Buddy & Jacques)
Mears (Rick & Roger)
Brabham (Jack & Geoff)
Groff (Mike & Robbie)

I'm sure that there MUST be more for way, way way back in Indy 500 history....but I was only born in 1958....

I don't claim to be Donald Davidson (the Brickyard's track's historian....incredible guy)

Old 26 May 2004, 18:28 (Ref:984229)   #59
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Tim:
Let's see to keep the post on topic, did Tony Stewart have ADD? Which was often cured by a belt held by DAD.

OK, now for interestig stuff

I went to the Old Car site and checked the Indy names. I was amazed how many familiar name to me only raced couple of years in the sixties and seventies.
I was born in '52 and remember listening to the race on the radio in '53 I do remember listening on the radio to a station in Iowa, Minnesota is a motorsport desert inspite of a few good dirt tracks, and a silent road course.

Didn't Jigger Sirois run at Indy? I know it is hard to get every one who ran or attempted qualifying (I figure if they get bumped,in reality they qualified)

I remember the race in '92 or so, when the hot-shots tried to get up to speed before their tires were warm and one after the other the "big names" crashed themselves out.
That is my favorite race of all time.

How is the weather down there, if it stays cold, it could be another spin fest.
Bob
Old 26 May 2004, 18:45 (Ref:984245)   #60
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Jigger Sirois never made the "500" field....

One year, he could have been a "Trivia" note....

In 1969, if he would have accepted his qualifying run on the first weekend, he would have been the only qualifier and on the "Pole"...

But he would have been bumped....they waved off the run...he never did make the race....

Oh, and one more Family....

Sneva (Tom & Jerry....those parents had to have a sense of humor to anme their boys after a cartoon!)

Old 26 May 2004, 18:50 (Ref:984248)   #61
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tangentmania right here in the IRL forum!
Old 26 May 2004, 19:38 (Ref:984286)   #62
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Tangentmania right here in the IRL forum!

I'm kinda like the Plague, aren't I.....or a spin-off on King Midas...but everything I touch gets off topic instead of turning to gold...

Since this thread IS about Tony Stewart, here is a question that I don't know the answer to....

During his career, Tony has been called quite a few things...some cannot be repeated in a Family Forum....

But there are two towns in his home state (Indiana), where he has lived that claim him as "their Hometown Boy"

because of it, he has earned two monikers:

"The Rushville Rocket" and

"The Columbus Comet"

Question:

Does anyone know which town Tony himself claims as his "Hometown"?

BTW...I would LOVE for Tony to come back to the IRL, whethre it is as a driver or a car owner...the sooner the better...

Old 26 May 2004, 20:08 (Ref:984325)   #63
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
Yarborough (Cale & LeRoy)
Actually, Cale Yarborough and Lee Roy Yarbrough weren't related. The only thing they really have in common is that they are stock car drivers making the crossover to Indianapolis. That and both being Daytona 500 winners.
Old 26 May 2004, 20:11 (Ref:984332)   #64
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I never have minded your tangents Tim. I'm a tangent kind of guy myself.

As for hometown, no idea. I'll I'd ever heard was Rushville Rocket. So the Comet moniker is new to me. I'd love for Tony to come back to the IRL, but I feel he better keep on getting his NASCAR money. He has a lot of open wheel teams to support!

P.S. Tim, sent you a reply.

Last edited by jhansen; 26 May 2004 at 20:12.
Old 26 May 2004, 20:31 (Ref:984367)   #65
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Actually, Cale Yarborough and Lee Roy Yarbrough weren't related. The only thing they really have in common is that they are stock car drivers making the crossover to Indianapolis. That and both being Daytona 500 winners.

Poor LeRoy came to a sad end in a looney bin.

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 26 May 2004 at 20:32.
Old 26 May 2004, 20:54 (Ref:984393)   #66
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:

I thought they were brothers.....thanks for setting me straight....

Old 26 May 2004, 20:57 (Ref:984397)   #67
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
I never have minded your tangents Tim. I'm a tangent kind of guy myself.

As for hometown, no idea. I'll I'd ever heard was Rushville Rocket. So the Comet moniker is new to me. I'd love for Tony to come back to the IRL, but I feel he better keep on getting his NASCAR money. He has a lot of open wheel teams to support!

P.S. Tim, sent you a reply.

As opposed to doing so many of his sprinters (he has teams in USAC and WoO, doesn't he?), I'd like for him to take some of those resources and convert them into an IRL program for one of his sprint car drivers.....

Old 26 May 2004, 21:13 (Ref:984414)   #68
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Riebe
Poor LeRoy came to a sad end in a looney bin.
The biggest reasons being two hard crashes in which he suffered head injuries, the first at Texas World Speedway during testing in 1970 (as a result of which he had no memory whatsoever of going to Martinsville to do a race soon thereafter) and the second at Indianapolis in 1971.

He made his last race start in 1972 and disappeared from the spotlight until something snapped and he tried to strangle his mother in 1980. This put him in a mental institution.

On December 6th, 1984, Lee Roy had a violent seizure and fell, striking his head. He was rushed to the hospital but there was nothing the doctors could do. It was one head injury too many, and he died the next day.

I personally think that if Lee Roy hadn't had that first crash in 1970, at Texas World Speedway, he would have blossomed into one of the stock car greats. In 1969 alone he won five Grand National victories, the Daytona 500 and Southern 500 included.

Last edited by rustyfan; 26 May 2004 at 21:19.
Old 26 May 2004, 21:19 (Ref:984420)   #69
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
As opposed to doing so many of his sprinters (he has teams in USAC and WoO, doesn't he?), I'd like for him to take some of those resources and convert them into an IRL program for one of his sprint car drivers.....

Guess we'll see how Team Owner's prediction turns out;

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Owner
Stewart is grooming Josh Wise for an IPS ride and will probably have an IRL team next year with Larry Curry running it but only participate in the 500.
Old 26 May 2004, 22:58 (Ref:984526)   #70
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I wouldn't mind him putting an IRL deal together. But you have to remember, he really has a heart for the short tracks of America. That's where he got his start and I think he genuinely enjoys giving some notarity to several of the "grass roots" series.

Besides, I'm not sure how many dollars he loses out of his pocket, because he manages to land very good sponsor packages for each of these teams. A good name certainly helps in that department. And they are well run race teams on top of that. I'm sure he can handle an IRL deal without hurting any of his smaller teams. He doesn't own all of them outright anyways.
Old 27 May 2004, 01:49 (Ref:984600)   #71
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Originally posted by Team Owner
Stewart is grooming Josh Wise for an IPS ride and will probably have an IRL team next year with Larry Curry running it but only participate in the 500."

I just hope for stewarts sake larry's company, 'total fabrication', isn't involved. I never did hear larry apologize for what he did to Menard.