Old 29 Nov 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2344015)   #76
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
Reason for telling off - no cars on that sector so no need for yellow........
What kind of warped logic could possibly lead anyone to that gem?
Old 30 Nov 2008, 11:36 (Ref:2344185)   #77
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Let's put them out on the bank at least once (on chosen posts) with a good supply of loo-roll and then see if it makes any difference
They'd need toilets to use the loo rolls but if the severe lack of such facilities at Sandown this weekend is anything to go by
Old 30 Nov 2008, 19:29 (Ref:2344380)   #78
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
They'd need toilets to use the loo rolls but if the severe lack of such facilities at Sandown this weekend is anything to go by
If they don't supply toilets for us standing out there all day, then why should they expect anything better??????

PS: Oulton Park is excused from this comment. One of the better circuits courtesy of Dr JP and MSV.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 20:58 (Ref:2345195)   #79
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
I thought thats what the trees are for>...... Or they stop the racing - yeah right.... Anyway what the RC say is law isn't it? They think they know all as they sit in their Air-Con and under cover...
Old 1 Dec 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2345217)   #80
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget the coffee & soft drinks in RC while those on the ground get bottled water.

The toilet issue is wandering off topic but with more & more female marshals the need for toilets is more important as a guy can sneak around a corner but it's a lot more difficult for the ladies out there.

Perhaps a future topic on another day can continue this subject.
Old 1 Dec 2008, 23:04 (Ref:2345277)   #81
Calex
Racer

United Kingdom
East Kent
Calex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n
So just a qurstion if any one can help out.... the A1 - do they operate under who's rules? is it FIA or do they there own.

Hi Nomad

When the A1 has been in the UK they were working to FIA Regs! Just wave everything but the oil flag

Calex
Old 2 Dec 2008, 01:48 (Ref:2345352)   #82
sputnik421
Racer

United Kingdom
Chichester W. Sussex
sputnik421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I would also like to know just what experience those in race control have to enable them to make such decisions. Let's put them out on the bank at least once (on chosen posts) with a good supply of loo-roll and then see if it makes any difference ................
Can we put them with the crazy gang on post 4a at Brands please.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2345444)   #83
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik421
Can we put them with the crazy gang on post 4a at Brands please.
Is that the one behind the huge kittey litter trap....where people appear from behind the barrier with a Manitou or Tractor and spirit stranded cars away???

OK enough of this Race Control bashing (tongue in cheek)...

in order to run a race meeting efficiently, everyone needs to be doing their job with a minimum of fuss. Too many times people rabbit on about minor things whilst more worrying events are taking place...last weekend I had to call "priority" for a ball of flame under a blown engine over two other points talking over the top of one another (I knew that the Fire/Rescue controller might hear so they could scramble a unit and thats all I was concerned about).

People...

Take a breath before calling in and keep it short, precise and to the point.

The same questions are asked over and over again, Drivers Left? Drivers Right? Safe? Unsafe? etc try and be a better communicator

Try not to talk over others.

Wait until Race Control acknowledges you before talking...Comms discipline!!

I am also guilty of making jokes about the sheer luxury of working in Race Control, however, all jokes aside, it can be be very, very busy and breaks are few and far between (think about this the next time you hear the same voice responding throughout an entire meeting)

Last edited by 275 GTB-4; 2 Dec 2008 at 08:20.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 09:39 (Ref:2345502)   #84
PieMan
Seigneur des pâtés en croûte
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
PieMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
no cars on that sector so no need for yellow...
No such issues at Silverstone for the 2008 British GP.

I called in that I'd got the waved yellow out at Woodcote to cover the stalled cars being pushed off the grid after the start, even though the leaders wouldn't have been more than a third of the way round the lap.

The incident was cleared in plenty of time so no drivers actually saw my flag but that's the way I'd rather do things.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2345900)   #85
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Is that the one behind the huge kittey litter trap....where people appear from behind the barrier with a Manitou or Tractor and spirit stranded cars away???

OK enough of this Race Control bashing (tongue in cheek)...

in order to run a race meeting efficiently, everyone needs to be doing their job with a minimum of fuss. Too many times people rabbit on about minor things whilst more worrying events are taking place...last weekend I had to call "priority" for a ball of flame under a blown engine over two other points talking over the top of one another (I knew that the Fire/Rescue controller might hear so they could scramble a unit and thats all I was concerned about).

People...

Take a breath before calling in and keep it short, precise and to the point.

The same questions are asked over and over again, Drivers Left? Drivers Right? Safe? Unsafe? etc try and be a better communicator

Try not to talk over others.

Wait until Race Control acknowledges you before talking...Comms discipline!!

I am also guilty of making jokes about the sheer luxury of working in Race Control, however, all jokes aside, it can be be very, very busy and breaks are few and far between (think about this the next time you hear the same voice responding throughout an entire meeting)
Yeah I'd agree with this call mick, but on some tracks like those in the land of the long white cloud the comms are done by hand held radios that don't allow you to talk over one another.....

But in syaing that I started this thread to voice my annoyance over some of the flag rules that FIA have come up with.... i.e. the single waved yellow before the double waved yellow being taken away....
Old 3 Dec 2008, 08:00 (Ref:2346125)   #86
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Swamped

Quote:
Yeah I'd agree with this call mick, but on some tracks like those in the land of the long white cloud the comms are done by hand held radios that don't allow you to talk over one another.....
Yes they can...the base station can be swamped if too many people key their transmitters at the same time...usually, the routine call gets through first and an urgent one can be lost.

So...once again, always try and keep communications short and sweet
Old 3 Dec 2008, 08:38 (Ref:2346147)   #87
sputnik421
Racer

United Kingdom
Chichester W. Sussex
sputnik421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry to all no UK marshals 4a is the one at the bottom of paddock hill bend and Hailwood Hill. It is the closest to sign on at Hailwoods Bar, the post it bound to get some work even on the quietest day. Here is a diagram from silhouet.com, 4a is about where the L is in Hailwood behind loads of gravle and the tyre wall. There is then a huge wall of caged racks behind the post on top of this is the sectators catch fence, so not a place for the faint harted.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2346386)   #88
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At the risk of being a bit pedantic, there are other threads for discussing communications, can we bring this back to topic, please?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 07:14 (Ref:2347033)   #89
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Thanks

[QUOTE=sputnik421]Sorry to all no UK marshals 4a is the one at the bottom of paddock hill bend and Hailwood Hill. It is the closest to sign on at Hailwoods Bar, the post it bound to get some work even on the quietest day. Here is a diagram from silhouet.com, 4a is about where the L is in Hailwood behind loads of gravel and the tyre wall. There is then a huge wall of caged racks behind the post on top of this is the spectators catch fence, so not a place for the faint hearted.

I should have looked at a map of the circuit! Yes thats the one I meant. Could not believe how deep into the kitty litter some cars got...what sort of average speeds are they achieving at Paddock Hill!!
Old 4 Dec 2008, 07:18 (Ref:2347035)   #90
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Woolen Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
At the risk of being a bit pedantic, there are other threads for discussing communications, can we bring this back to topic, please?
Hee hee...the Wollen One? being pedantic?? Never let it be said

Like a lot of threads here, this one has rambled some...its all good though Woolley...a little vigorous discussion never hurt no one (I think Bob Dylan said that )
Old 5 Dec 2008, 12:48 (Ref:2348096)   #91
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Support for Woolley: yes, discussions should be allowed to "veer off course" BUT when they take a completely different direction then the moderators MUST take action.

I know - I've been guilty.............
Old 5 Dec 2008, 23:59 (Ref:2348542)   #92
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So have I...
Old 11 Dec 2008, 20:23 (Ref:2352996)   #93
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
I know this is slightly of the subject but I just wanted to know what colour overalls do you guys in europe wear as in Australia its white and in New Zealand its Orange.....
Old 11 Dec 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2353034)   #94
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Have a look at Woolley's avatar pic in the post above yours for the answer
Old 11 Dec 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2353060)   #95
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know this is slightly of the subject but I just wanted to know what colour overalls do you guys in europe wear as in Australia its white and in New Zealand its Orange.....
It's either white or orange

Seriously, in the UK it is normally orange, but with a couple of circuits using orange and black for track side personal, and most rescue are red.

In Europe it is Orange in Holland, Germany and Belgium, while France tends to use white , though some clubs there use grey.

In North America it is white for post personal, and either red or a company sponsor logo design for rescue.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 23:51 (Ref:2353116)   #96
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hee hee...the Wollen One? being pedantic?? Never let it be said
sorry, it HAS to be said!!!!!
Old 11 Dec 2008, 23:59 (Ref:2353125)   #97
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England

Ahem, topic please...

See also this thread. An occurrance we've seen many times up here due to the front of the pack stopping suddenly when faced with flags at the line before the back of the pack know there's something to react to. Another of my hobby horses whereby full course yellow doesn't go both way like the red does.
Old 12 Dec 2008, 06:33 (Ref:2353221)   #98
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy
it is Orange in Holland
Well thats a no-brainer...in't it
Old 12 Dec 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2353411)   #99
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well thats a no-brainer...in't it
Yea, they call themselves "orangemen"

Back to topic (sorry Wooley)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOLEY
An occurrance we've seen many times up here due to the front of the pack stopping suddenly when faced with flags at the line before the back of the pack know there's something to react to. Another of my hobby horses whereby full course yellow doesn't go both way like the red does.
This brings out the difference between Europe & N. America. Their full course yellow is instantaneous round the circuit. But, of course, they have (and use) the rocket science of good communications systems
Old 19 Dec 2008, 20:02 (Ref:2358458)   #100
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
So it begs te question does the states have different rules to the rest of the motorsports world? As when champ cars came to town the blue flagging was slightly different...