Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 28 Nov 2004, 17:08 (Ref:1166302)   #76
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
As far as the paying public go, I was watching a film of Brands in the early 60s and the south bank was completely full of cars from the track edge right to the woods at the back. Nowadays there is hardly a car to be seen and the grandstands are empty on all but the big meetings. I would think the entry fees would have been similar to todays prices relatively speaking. So why does no one want to go now, after all racing is racing now as it was 40 years ago. Unless it is F1 it is just as exciting or boring depending on you veiw point
Old 28 Nov 2004, 17:12 (Ref:1166304)   #77
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's so much more you can do on a Sunday now. Maybe not the only answer, but a big one.
Old 28 Nov 2004, 18:27 (Ref:1166348)   #78
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well yes SkyRedButton I would propose just that, maybe not spinning out but at least do a bit of sandbagging to make it look like there was some drama going down and the rest of the field were catching you. Or if you were consistantly romping off into the distance then do something to slow you down a bit. We used to encourage the lads (and lasses) to try and put on a bit of a show when I ran the ModProds and what was the harm in that. Look what do they do in the most successful spectator sport in the world and not just motorsport, namely NASCAR, any slight excuse they stick the pace car out and bunch up the field.

I will add to that, there is a lot to do on Sundays but it still does not stop some folk spending £50 to watch a game of soccer and I personally would rather watch paint dry.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 28 Nov 2004 at 18:32.
Old 28 Nov 2004, 18:46 (Ref:1166368)   #79
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would be extremely worried if races became stage managed. We might as well all go and watch WWF wrestling if that is the case...
Old 28 Nov 2004, 19:06 (Ref:1166383)   #80
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well surely once you have a good lead, a little backing off would not hurt, may even save the car from a disaster and win you the race. But good point, WWF wrestling is probably the next biggest spectator sport behind NASCAR.
Old 28 Nov 2004, 19:29 (Ref:1166407)   #81
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I will just reliterate Ian, I was ot advocating throwing the race as such but prehaps if you had it in the bag, instead of roming off into the distance you just backed off a bit to give the impression at least that you were catchable.
Old 28 Nov 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1166410)   #82
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time to bring out the safety car close it all up,the BTCC at brands was a reminder what can happen but prehaps there was a little to much contact but crikey what a race though,at least the spectator banks were alive with cheers and oooah's
Old 28 Nov 2004, 21:28 (Ref:1166552)   #83
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SkyRedButton
so when you're leading a race by a country mile, and you know it's a bit tedious, do you think 'I'd better spin here and create some drama just for the paying public to be entertained?' No, I didn't think so.

And do the clubs think - we have to entertain the public? No - probably, please God, let us break even on this one.

And do the circuits care, as long as they have enough income to keep in profit? No.

I'm sorry, but I can't see anything changing this, unless the governing body takes some hefty action
If one car is leading by a country mile then the regs are set up badly or there are not enough cars to compete, either way it's not worth watching and part of the problem

Yes some clubs are aware of the spectator value and those that are flourish and have full grids. Those that aren't are the ones that'll lose out.

Do circuits care, they bloody well should. Those that aren't will lose out and fall behind.

I can't see anything changing this either but that's why our costs will increase this year.

I'm NOT in any way suggesting that we should stage races in ANY shape or form, just merely stating that this is a spectator sport and spectators need to see something worthy of spectating! Alot of this is down to the clubs to make the playing field fair and to ensure the pr is there to attract full grids and ensure the racing is decent and the rest is down to the circuits to promote their business and any part left is the responsibility of the drivers to aid this.

Last edited by topwelshman; 28 Nov 2004 at 21:34.
Old 28 Nov 2004, 22:22 (Ref:1166596)   #84
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by topwelshman
.......Do circuits care, they bloody well should. Those that aren't will lose out and fall behind.
Not so Dom.
As is oft quoted in these pages, the circuits can make more out of non-race days.

If we all want to provide entertainment,(and it's not clear that we do) we first need to provide full grids. A shedload of 2cv's (for example) make a better spectacle than eight ex-F1 cars.

IMO, if we need to help boring races look better by using a pace car, we should. I'd sooner have the chance of a dice than drive round detached from my fellow competitors.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1166925)   #85
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Myself and nine other people from Borough 19 motor club went to Wimbledon last night to watch a Spedeworth meeting. In far from ideal weather conditions they ran 13 races in just over four hours. Each time the safety car was deployed it picked up the leader, pretty good on a quarter mile track. The commentators and the scoreboard kept everyone informed on what was going on, they even chatted about Dave Coyne (racing a Superstox) and acknowledged his F.Ford festival success.
Two things we all noticed were the atmosphere with the crowd (plenty of cheering and "banter") plus a lap of honour for the winners, so everyone could see what they look like. The promotion of the meeting shows what can and should be done to encourage spectators. The promotor DOES pay to hire the stadium, but importantly they keep the gate money. The stadium owner keeps the money from the food and drink outlets (all reasonably priced).
Old 29 Nov 2004, 12:36 (Ref:1166988)   #86
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wimbledon is excellent! Sam and I went to the Banger World Final a couple of weeks ago and it was great!

Many people say they put the races on as a show, but the racing is often close and is entertaining to boot!

Your right about the promotion of the meeting. They get it right. The crowds are huge and of all ages, mum and dad and the kids and often grandparents as well!
Old 29 Nov 2004, 18:13 (Ref:1167270)   #87
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rod,
You raise the obvious difference, that the the promoter keeps any gate money.

You may remember that I suggested about a year ago in these pages that we promote ourselves.

Corresponded with JP about the possibility and received the reply that it was something that MSV would look at, but that I should be aware that as they sold 1,000 tickets at most club meetings(none that I've been at), they would be looking for at least the first £10,000 of any gate money. Too big a risk for the series I run in.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:19 (Ref:1167475)   #88
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I know and they wonder why "long" circuit racing is declining.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:30 (Ref:1167501)   #89
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well I believe you started in Hot Rods as I did years ago did'nt you Rod, I remember a 'revolutionary' Sunbeam Talbot you had on display at Brands I think it was when we raced on that clearways oval, so are you tempted back in because it always seemed to me that the Hot Rod boys all really wanted to be long circuit racing hence when there was a meeting at Brands or Lydden on the calender it was always oversubscribed. Who was the other promoter we raced with, Promotorsport or someone, they had the Haringay track, now that was fun.