Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 May 2009, 07:16 (Ref:2471995)   #101
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Chris, my understanding is that the Holden ad pre dates the Chev ad.
Thus the Chev ad is a take off of the Holden ad.
Maybe if GM US had copied a little more of the Australian branch offices ideas they might not be going Chapter 11 next week.
Opel, and maybe Vauxhall look like going to Magma, but still no hint of what will happen to GMH ownership.
Old 30 May 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2472062)   #102
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I believe the Chev ad from Chris is itself a takeoff of an earlier Chev ad.
Old 30 May 2009, 11:09 (Ref:2472083)   #103
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The original Chevrolet advert seems to date back to 1974: http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...11/014434.html

The link was to the 2006 remake posted on youtube which included footage from the original advert.

The Australian advertisement was circa 1976, according to this website:http://australianscreen.com.au/title...s-holden-cars/
Old 1 Jun 2009, 07:26 (Ref:2473155)   #104
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so Gm goes into bankruptcy, will it come out better or will the same management be still steering the ship.
In days of old, if a ship was listing, the captain would head for shelter to do repairs, GM seemed to think the taxpayers would just keep giving them money to run the same old course.

We can only hope for a better company
Old 1 Jun 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2473352)   #105
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well GM is now in bankruotcy
Old 1 Jun 2009, 13:31 (Ref:2473367)   #106
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
So GM goes into bankruptcy, will it come out better or will the same management be still steering the ship?
In days of old, if a ship was listing, the captain would head for shelter to do repairs. GM seemed to think the taxpayers would just keep giving them money to run the same old course.

We can only hope for a better company.
The new version General Motors is going to be mostly made up of the US government egg heads with a small stake being bought by the Canadian government. I think you're right. GM thought that they could run the same course with tax payers funding it all.
Old 1 Jun 2009, 15:05 (Ref:2473418)   #107
Thunder1
Racer

Thunder1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GM lists assets, debts, top creditors

I hate to think what the other auto manufactures will come out with.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...TO01/906010371
Old 2 Jun 2009, 08:10 (Ref:2473857)   #108
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
The new version General Motors is going to be mostly made up of the US government egg heads with a small stake being bought by the Canadian government. I think you're right. GM thought that they could run the same course with tax payers funding it all.
So does that make them Government Motors now.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 08:13 (Ref:2473858)   #109
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY View Post
So does that make them Government Motors now?
What about Barack Obama Motors?
Old 2 Jun 2009, 11:42 (Ref:2473957)   #110
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
What about Barack Obama Motors?
That's appropriate......GM make BOM's anyway.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 16:01 (Ref:2474110)   #111
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY View Post
So does that make them Government Motors now.
That would be Obama Change You Can Believe In Motors.

I suspect unless the government dissolves it's holdings in GM quickly, it will be a British Leyland type company with poor quality and products and when the next recession comes down the road long after Obama is gone it will go bust completely. Mostly if the government stays involved it will just be a jobs and buying votes from union members institution.

If the government gets out and lets capitalism sort it out, we'll be much better for it.

Much of what is happening had to happen. As Clarkson said GM was a pensions and health care company with cars being built as an afterthought and that was very true.

There does look like some promising things happening if Penske get Saturn as it appears they will stay out of the car building business and out source production to samsung in Korea or the new Opel and Vauxhall in Europe.

Holden appears it shall remain as is and also it appears legally Holden is a separate entity under Australian law so will not be directly affected by the bankruptcy.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2474129)   #112
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I suspect unless the government dissolves it's holdings in GM quickly, it will be a British Leyland type company with poor quality and products...
Could be worse. GM could become America's answer to Lada, a pathetic attempt for national auto patioritism which equaled some of the worst cars ever made. The only good thing about Lada is that if themo-nuclear war begun, the Riva's body was bunker safe grade steel.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 17:40 (Ref:2474160)   #113
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Could be worse. GM could become America's answer to Lada, a pathetic attempt for national auto patioritism which equaled some of the worst cars ever made. The only good thing about Lada is that if themo-nuclear war begun, the Riva's body was bunker safe grade steel.
On this course god knows how bad it could get.

Otherwise, the USA has a thriving auto industry in the southern USA not belabored by ancient laws on the books up in the northern states like Michigan. Volkswagen is opening a new plant in Tennessee and Hyundai just opened a large plant in Alabama.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 11:09 (Ref:2474606)   #114
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder1 View Post
I hate to think what the other auto manufactures will come out with.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...TO01/906010371
So how long have they been trading whilst insolvent?

Some of these debts are alarming and must raise creditor questions with every single car company in the world.

Obama is actually no better, and possibly worse, than the last 3 US presidents. This is not based on race or his dislike for war, but rather his fiscal poilcy.

He proposes to print over US$950 BILLION this year to stimulate the economy. If he isn't careful, the USA will become like Zimbabwe. It is very scary, and the Amercian public are being lied to.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 11:16 (Ref:2474611)   #115
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post

Some of these debts are alarming and must raise creditor questions with every single car company in the world.

Obama is actually no better, and possibly worse, than the last 3 US presidents. This is not based on race or his dislike for war, but rather his fiscal poilcy.

He proposes to print over US$950 BILLION this year to stimulate the economy. If he isn't careful, the USA will become like Zimbabwe. It is very scary, and the Amercian public are being lied to.
insolvent,good point.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2474799)   #116
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:

Oh yeah you got that right. I think we will have a $2 Trillion deficit in the budget this year. Unfortunately the solution they seem to have is to spend money we don't have. Pretty damn scary and it's going to have a drag on the economy for a long time. I wonder about what my future here would be.

I think at some point people have to realize we can't bail everyone out or fund 40 year long retirements when people have only worked 25 years.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 22:46 (Ref:2475014)   #117
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Sorry but political BS like ^^^^^^ certainly has no place on this forum... in my humble opinion... especially when baseless opinion is stated as fact!
Old 3 Jun 2009, 23:33 (Ref:2475033)   #118
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby View Post
Sorry but political BS like ^^^^^^ certainly has no place on this forum... in my humble opinion... especially when baseless opinion is stated as fact!
I think it does have some relevancy to the topic since Obama Motors is a now and has been a jobs program and a health care and pension plan company.

Producing good cars is a secondary business compared to keeping the unions paid off and in business.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 03:06 (Ref:2475082)   #119
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I think it does have some relevancy to the topic since Obama Motors is a now and has been a jobs program and a health care and pension plan company.

Producing good cars is a secondary business compared to keeping the unions paid off and in business.
Thanks for clearing it all up for me. I had no idea the world was such a peachy place before Obama was elected president and GM issued a lifeline.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 06:10 (Ref:2475114)   #120
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No worries for V8Supercar

Interesting to read Mr Skaife is helping develop the 2012 V8Supercar model!
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 4 Jun 2009, 06:34 (Ref:2475121)   #121
motofan
Racer

motofan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the bailouts should only ever have been handed out to the banks and other large financial institutions,by bailing out an innefficient organisation who technically have no bearing on how the economy works bar an adverse effect on unemployment you are setting an example to other organisations of a similar size and saying that its ok to take on huge risks and do things incorrectly and in doing so you wll fix the problem in the short run but pro long the overall problem, governments are not willing to cop the bad times on the chin and work through them rather they'd temporarily fix it and leave it for the next office to patch up. GM should of gone.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 06:59 (Ref:2475131)   #122
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JDI, my thoughts exactly when I read the debt/asset figures - I wonder what US law says in that position?

motofan - yes that is good in theory, but you do realise how many people that would put out of work? Not just directly working for GM, but also their suppliers... Not sure that you can excuse financial institutions so easily either.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 07:15 (Ref:2475141)   #123
motofan
Racer

motofan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its not a matter of excusing them, if the truly large ones who operate in the cash markets with the banks where to go bust the economy would be shattered, like i said people would be put out of work, but eventually someone will replace GM and those jobs will be replaced its just a matter of going through a period of hard times,if the government wanted to save jobs why not through those billions into infrastructure? theres a few car companies that have done things right and could pounce on the hole gm leaves
Old 4 Jun 2009, 09:06 (Ref:2475206)   #124
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel sorry for all the Senior Vice Presidents of fitting the rear tail light assembly, the Vice President of the attatching the rear window winder and there fellow vice presidents of ................................................... .

It must be hard each day to roll up to work to do what. The management of GM is like a Human Resources section, they just soak up money and achieve nothing. Then lay off grass roots workers and so How good am I.
I hope they sweep the broom thru and sack every manager and start again.

Sorry but Management s***. when it comes to the crunch. They make decisions not workers.

maybe a new company Skoda Motors America. Head office Detroit, plants in Mexico Brazil South Africa etc
Old 4 Jun 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2475237)   #125
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofan View Post
the bailouts should only ever have been handed out to the banks and other large financial institutions,by bailing out an innefficient organisation who technically have no bearing on how the economy works bar an adverse effect on unemployment you are setting an example to other organisations of a similar size and saying that its ok to take on huge risks and do things incorrectly and in doing so you wll fix the problem in the short run but pro long the overall problem, governments are not willing to cop the bad times on the chin and work through them rather they'd temporarily fix it and leave it for the next office to patch up. GM should of gone.
People with no idea believing they could save the world.

How much more crap like this do we have to endure before this thread gets locked?