Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

View Poll Results: Will Corvette Racing get a podium in Acura Sports Car Challenge at the Mid-Ohio?
Yes 36 54.55%
No 30 45.45%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 Aug 2009, 01:07 (Ref:2518196)   #101
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymonster View Post
The press release did say that the 5.5 will be production based. So I can only conclude that the GT1 derived isn't all that production based.
The GT1 and current GT2 engines do not use a production block casting, the 5.5 will use a production block casting.

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 9 Aug 2009, 02:07 (Ref:2518199)   #102
Dyson20
Rookie

Dyson20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Read (or heard) somewhere in the last few days that only 2 cars have been built so far. Key words: so far. With the performance they are showing already, there will be people lined up at the chance to buy one of those beasts.
i talked to doug fehan during the tech talk today and he said that they have 2 more cars being built and there will be customer teams in Europe and in the United States next year.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 04:14 (Ref:2518215)   #103
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson20 View Post
i talked to doug fehan during the tech talk today and he said that they have 2 more cars being built and there will be customer teams in Europe and in the United States next year.
Good to hear about a second customer car. I'd read earlier in the week about the one Europe bound.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 05:36 (Ref:2518226)   #104
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymonster View Post
I know the basic specs, but the amount of modification and displacement changes from the production model appear to be fairly open. For example Porsche running a 4 liter engine while no production 911 runs that displacement. So I guess Corvette can run an engine that appears to be the ZR1 engine without a supercharger, but is quite different in reality.

The press release did say that the 5.5 will be production based. So I can only conclude that the GT1 derived isn't all that production based.

Good performance in the first race.
The blocks are parts book specials but there they are not a secret weapon; if you wanted to you could take the race block and put all you street parts in (pistons might not fit without a boring or sleaving) ditto with taking the street block and putting the race parts on it. ( see pistons above).

Cylinder heads-- the GT1 heads were factory (not available in any way or matter to anyone else) only; have not heard or read about the GT2 versions.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2518357)   #105
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson20 View Post
that's good to hear. I wonder which team(s) are buying them?
Old 9 Aug 2009, 13:43 (Ref:2518358)   #106
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Oh yes they do, even a wounded lizard was leaving them behind
That is true. But the Lizards were implying the Vettes may not have been showing all their cards.
I don't know if I believe that - I mean if I were in a position to win I would sure go for it! But there could be some truth to it if they were trying to prevent any further tampering of their performance by the ACO
Old 9 Aug 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2518360)   #107
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've all seen the effects of bigger engines and superior torque under ACO rules (diesels; turbo R8 vs small Judd). The Callaway got GT pole at LM 2001 without much prior experience and we can only guess what Corvette can do with 50% more torque than Porsche and Ferrari... that's probably what the restrictor talk is about.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 20:45 (Ref:2518461)   #108
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
that's good to hear. I wonder which team(s) are buying them?
Deal was done a while ago, its a guessing game for the euro team, seems to be talk that the euro GT2 Vette is bound for PK Carsport but im unsure,i could however see a car in the hands of Alphand, especially considering how strong the team has been in LMS over the past few years.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 21:38 (Ref:2518495)   #109
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wouldnt be surprised if sales were part of allowing the program to continue. They may have had to prove other teams would want and could afford to buy the car to get the money to continue the program, even though some of the team sounded like they were upset by the test program's short length.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2518499)   #110
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do not think that the program was predicated on sales of the GT-2 car. Though customers wanting the product, could do nothing but help.

L.P.
Old 9 Aug 2009, 23:04 (Ref:2518522)   #111
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
I do not think that the program was predicated on sales of the GT-2 car. Though customers wanting the product, could do nothing but help.

L.P.
I wonder if they have done the calculations to see how many they need to sell and at what price to turn this program into a money maker for P&M or GM or whoever actually makes the money on this.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 04:07 (Ref:2518569)   #112
fjn356
Rookie

fjn356 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What interests me is what their speed will be down those long Road America straights. If the 'vettes can run that close to the best 430 and Lizard on that tight Mid-Ohio track, then I suspect it will blow everyone off the tracks at RA and other tracks with long straights and few passing zones elsewhere. Think Road Atlanta.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 05:19 (Ref:2518582)   #113
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I wonder if they have done the calculations to see how many they need to sell and at what price to turn this program into a money maker for P&M or GM or whoever actually makes the money on this.
They make money on it regardless of customer car sales. All of the talk about this program has pointed out that Corvette Racing generated the highest ROI of any GM racing program, and you know that's not predominately going to come from selling off old cars (though I'm sure it helps). It's not like they've made many purely customer chassis up to this point.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 14:07 (Ref:2518833)   #114
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
....It's not like they've made many purely customer chassis up to this point.
They got jacked around pretty good the first time they tried to build first line cars for customers so they probably decided selling off the "last year's cars" was a better idea.

From my website:

There was an agreement in mid-2001 for Atomic Kitten Racing (!!) to buy two C5-R race cars (most likely C5R-006 and C5R-007, although C5R-008 was also a possibility). The deal was later cancelled. (Atomic Kitten was an all-girl British rock group.)

Above - Pratt & Miller - September 14, 2001 - Chassis Numbers C5R-006 (background) and C5R-007 under construction.

Then:

From dailysportscar.com: "Joost Custers brings us this exclusive, straight from Belcar team owner Patrick Selleslagh.
Selleslagh has bought Pratt & Miller Corvette chassis #7, which was lined up to be a spare car for Corvette Racing: it was purchased after long discussions and with the support of Sara Lee, the Belgian’s sponsor."

C5R-007 thus became the first car that went directly to a customer without being raced by the factory.

Old 10 Aug 2009, 20:23 (Ref:2519102)   #115
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
support of Sara Lee, the Belgian’s sponsor
Wow I did not know that Sara Lee had business in Belgium.

So they were running LS7 type motors at Mid Ohio? Are they going to run this the rest of the season? Why not use 5.5L they supposed to use next year? This year is done anyway in GT2 or why not take advantage and develop the new motor in a racing environment?
Old 10 Aug 2009, 20:40 (Ref:2519115)   #116
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb View Post
Wow I did not know that Sara Lee had business in Belgium.

So they were running LS7 type motors at Mid Ohio? Are they going to run this the rest of the season? Why not use 5.5L they supposed to use next year? This year is done anyway in GT2 or why not take advantage and develop the new motor in a racing environment?
The motor is in development at the moment on the dyno. They can put much more mileage on it on the dyno while being race simmed and not be burning up track time or chassis parts. Having it ready for some serious in car testing over the off season, while having a proven product in the chassis to develop it on track. Devide and conquer, so to speak!

L.P.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2519159)   #117
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
ahh, so will we see it this season?
Old 10 Aug 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2519176)   #118
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^Sara Lee is really, really big in Europe (offtopic but ah well )
Old 11 Aug 2009, 01:27 (Ref:2519259)   #119
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gucom View Post
^Sara Lee is really, really big in Europe (offtopic but ah well )

Sara Lee produces Williams Shaving products and Ambi Pur air freshners.

Old 11 Aug 2009, 15:01 (Ref:2519603)   #120
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I was at the tech talk as well. I asked about the potential of a new GT1 Corvette, and though I'm not ecstatic about the new FIA race format by any means, I'm glad to hear that P&M is cleared to produce conversion kits, should that prove adequately lucrative.

The performance balance will be interesting. They also talked about the Porsches on the TV coverage, and that they are now running 25kg heavier. So, that adds another twist into the calculations of who is really where.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2519806)   #121
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb View Post
ahh, so will we see it this season?
(Referring to the 5.5 liter Corvette V8.) No.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 22:46 (Ref:2519866)   #122
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Sara Lee produces Williams Shaving products and Ambi Pur air freshners.
So they do not only make delicious bread