Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Apr 2012, 22:34 (Ref:3052008)   #126
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The solid white line denotes the circuit boundary. Kerbs are usually outside it.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 22:47 (Ref:3052014)   #127
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
slummingangel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
The solid white line denotes the circuit boundary. Kerbs are usually outside it.
thanks
Old 1 Apr 2012, 22:48 (Ref:3052015)   #128
cxx666
Rookie

United Kingdom
Edinburgh
cxx666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was absolutely gutted at not having been able to go this weekend, but in all honesty after seeing so many incidents on reflection I'm kinda glad that I saved the considerable expense it would have no doubt cost me.

Plato wasn't on with his move on Newsham, this was the first of 30 races and may well have been Newsham's first win so to dive up the inside for a gap which wasn't really there was was unnecessary. Real shame to see so many other cars damaged in the other incidents over the weekend across all the series, particularly when Druids was turned into a rather expensive car park.

I quite liked Moody in the commentary box. He certainly wasn't quite at the same level of excitable as Edwards is but he's definitly a worthy replacement. Seems to know his stuff and has done his homework. Ok so he got a couple of bits wrong, but no more than Harvey and Edwards did in recent years. Its all part of commentating on live tv.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 23:02 (Ref:3052020)   #129
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
For the person who asked how did Foster end up on his roof, he had a big powerslide on the exit of Druids and couldn't/didn't save it, he then went into the inside barrier backwards and hard, then flipped. No other cars were involved. I was sat in the Paddock grandstand and saw it all.
Thank you Sodemo. I had to do a double take when the camera cut to an upside-down BMW.

Druids in race three reminded me of a Clio Cup race at Thruxton, some years ago now. I was stood at the chicane when I believe someone dropped brake fluid on the exit, and suddenly two out of every three cars that came through sailed into the wall.

All in all, an expensive weekend then, this. And on the subject of Plato (again), I think he was massively over-optimistic at best about the move on Newsham, but he was downright wrong to suggest that it was Newsham's fault in interview.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 07:29 (Ref:3052107)   #130
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor901 View Post
well then they need some damn good training on how to use them properly because they are awful at times
The TV schedule and putting on a good show are far more important than preventing damage to a car at a BTCC meeting. The marshals and circuit staff at druids would be acting as directed by race control, not using their own initiative.

I assume the TV schedule is the reason why BTCC race 2 and the Sunday clio race were not red flagged.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 08:02 (Ref:3052116)   #131
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Yep, lots of incidents in most of the races actually. There was pretty much 1-3 cars spinning off at Paddock in every race. There was also a really nasty incident on the pit straight involving the Ginetta GT's.

I lament the costs involved in fixing these expensive cars and I also lament the amount of time wasted behind safety cars. Race 2 should have been red flagged as should the Clio race. Hope all the cars aren't too badly damaged and they can all get out for Donington in two weeks.

I'll be there.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3052160)   #132
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend View Post
The TV schedule and putting on a good show are far more important than preventing damage to a car at a BTCC meeting.
I was flagging at Donington on Saturday for the BARC/Motors TV Live meeting. There was an incident in one of the Caterham races (surprise!) that saw 6 or 7 cars off between McLeans and Coppice. We had an "all hands on deck" period at the end of the session where it was made very clear that there was very little time to clear up because the advert break was only so many minutes long. Good thing Caterhams are pretty light because we actually manhandled one on to the back of a recovery truck!
Old 2 Apr 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3052168)   #133
Tom Bee
Racer

United Kingdom
Knickerbrook
Tom Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by westfieldbend View Post
The TV schedule and putting on a good show are far more important than preventing damage to a car at a BTCC meeting. The marshals and circuit staff at druids would be acting as directed by race control, not using their own initiative.
Well I would of thought it was their decision to drag the car forward (and therefore rip the front off). The car should of been pulled back out of the gravel and then pulled (forward or back) to a place of safety.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 09:49 (Ref:3052172)   #134
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bee View Post
Well I would of thought it was their decision to drag the car forward (and therefore rip the front off). The car should of been pulled back out of the gravel and then pulled (forward or back) to a place of safety.
When they did try to pull the car back the towing point failed.... Sorry, the teams need to learn that towing points should be secure and up the job...
Old 2 Apr 2012, 10:05 (Ref:3052181)   #135
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Let me clear a few things up for you.

1. The towing strap was fixed to a small bar behind the front valance and not to the main frame of the car which is why it came away so easily. The offending parts were placed in the boot of the car for the scrutineers to look at after the race. It was not the fault of the JCB driver who I can assure you is very experienced in recovering cars from the gravel.

2. It is very easy to sit behind the debris fence and criticise the work of marshals who were working flat out to get the cars out of the gravel during race 3. I was one of two Post Chiefs at Druids this weekend and immediately called for a race stop when the cars came in one after the other. There was nothing the marshals could have, or should have done better. You cannot push cars out of a deep gravel bed, it is impossible even with so many there to help. Our main concern was the safety of the drivers and in getting the oil dressed so that racing could recommence once the cars were removed from the gravel. I hope those casting criticism noticed that marshals from other posts came to help as did the rescue crews, we worked as a team to get the situation under control and sorted in the safest and speediest time.

At no time did I hear the crowd jeering or shouting but what I did notice was that as soon as the accidents happened the number of people who were in the spectator area doubled or tripled, what does that say I wonder?

All the marshals did a fantastic job throughout the weekend and my sincere thanks go to everyone who helped, especially those on my team.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 10:11 (Ref:3052185)   #136
westfieldbend
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bee View Post
I doubt it very much, race control would have wanted the telehandler kept off the circuit if possible and would have at least specified what position they wanted the car to be left in.

The better option would have been for the 4X4 to tow in backwards either to the infield or along the grass towards the bridge and leave it up against the armco there. However eith the damage this may have been equally difficult.

I do not fully understand why at a package that features no single seaters and where live snatching does not take place, that telehandler snatch vehicles are used. In the vast majority of cases (including this one) it would be easier, less damaging and quicker to deploy a recovery to move the vehicle to a place of relative/total safety as described above. The best they were going to achieve with the telehandler would be to put it up against the tyres in the gravel at druids, which as seen in race 3 is not ideal!
Old 2 Apr 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3052190)   #137
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The vehicles are used but under safety car and not doubled waved yellow flags, that is the only real difference. With the extended tarmac area at Druids (which incidentally meant there were many less stoppages over the two days) it is not possible to leave cars against the armco/tyre wall as you rightly say having seen the race 3 problems
Old 2 Apr 2012, 10:28 (Ref:3052197)   #138
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green View Post
I hope those casting criticism noticed that marshals from other posts came to help as did the rescue crews, we worked as a team to get the situation under control and sorted in the safest and speediest time.
Plenty of marshals on hand....
Attached Thumbnails
m1.jpg  
Old 2 Apr 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3052199)   #139
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Let me clear a few things up for you.

1. The towing strap was fixed to a small bar behind the front valance and not to the main frame of the car which is why it came away so easily. The offending parts were placed in the boot of the car for the scrutineers to look at after the race. It was not the fault of the JCB driver who I can assure you is very experienced in recovering cars from the gravel.
Any report back from the scruitineers?
Old 2 Apr 2012, 10:41 (Ref:3052201)   #140
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Plenty of marshals on hand....
And still unable to move it. It was buried deep in the gravel
Old 2 Apr 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3052202)   #141
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini1400 View Post
Any report back from the scruitineers?
Not that I know of. They would have reported their findings to the Clerks and not necessarily back to the marshals post
Old 2 Apr 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3052209)   #142
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
And still unable to move it. It was buried deep in the gravel
Has the gravel at Druids been changed? It looked to be effective at stopping the cars but the cars that did go in there seemed to sink deeper than they used to (or I could be imagining things!). The Focus that went in there in race 1 sank quite a way in too. For what it's worth I thought the recovery operation in race 3 was pretty slick - the first recovery vehicle arrived before all the dust had settled! There was no way that lot could have been recovered without a race stop and it was always going to take time to drag that many cars out of the gravel - recovery of some couldn't even begin until others were out of the way.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 11:02 (Ref:3052215)   #143
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Yes, the first part of the gravel trap that was quite shallow has been replaced with additional tarmac run off which I think works really well and means less race stops. The back half of the gravel trap is, as it always was, quite deep which makes it almost impossible to move cars without using a tow vehicle of some description.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 11:04 (Ref:3052219)   #144
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Looking at the race results on TSL the only 2 races, so far, with no exceeding track limit penalies are the 2 BTCC ones.
A quick check this morning shows that 5 second penalties were being given out in all other races bar one, with none in any of the BTCC races. I can't believe that the touring car boys were all so well-behaved in that respect. The other exception was the second Ginetta Junior Race - possibly because they tend to get the riot act read to them regularly between their races.

For those who haven't found it, details are at:

http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=major...eventid=121303
Old 2 Apr 2012, 11:07 (Ref:3052221)   #145
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He did at one point say ''Austin managed to keep it rubber side down'', which sounds like a motorcycling thing.

But remember how James Allen popularised the phrase ''tankslapper'' for cars?
Old 2 Apr 2012, 11:13 (Ref:3052223)   #146
westfieldbend
Veteran

Quote:
The vehicles are used but under safety car and not doubled waved yellow flags, that is the only real difference. With the extended tarmac area at Druids (which incidentally meant there were many less stoppages over the two days) it is not possible to leave cars against the armco/tyre wall as you rightly say having seen the race 3 problems
But if they are used under safety car, surely there is no point in them being used in the manor they were being used. Surely it would be much better to have them on the inside gaps at paddock and druids and then cars would be removed to a place of safety on the inside rather than against the tyres near post 4a, which is still quite exposed really. Obviously there is the added difficulty of having to find a gap for the vehicle to cross the track, but this shouldn't be too difficult with the safety car (and races without pit stops)? It used to work very well 5 or so years ago anyway.

Maybe it would be better to have the unimog on the inside of paddock as well as a telehandler on the outside? This was done a couple of years ago but didn't really work as they only had one driver for both vehicles.

I'm not sure if recovery vehicle positions are defined in the circuit license though.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3052225)   #147
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Snatch vehicle positions ARE stipulated in the circuit licence I believe.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 12:58 (Ref:3052284)   #148
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the coverage, I think Toby Moody did a decent job for his first meeting. Tim said at the beginning that Toby had brought sheets with facts and topics to talk about with him and that he wouldn't need it, but I think he still did use it a bit too often. At a few points he seemed to be discussing a topic relating to the car we were watching, but without commentating on the action and just ignoring an overtaking move. While he made some interesting points, he just wasn't helping build the excitement of the race. But if he's used to commentating longer races he'll just need time to adjust. I think he's a good replacement for Ben overall, and of course Tim was fantastic!

Anyone else notice Louise throw over to "Tony" Moody once or twice?
Old 2 Apr 2012, 13:08 (Ref:3052289)   #149
Tom Bee
Racer

United Kingdom
Knickerbrook
Tom Bee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah i agree that it would be better if recovery vehicles were available on the inside of the corners. The only problem is they have to pull the cars across the track which blocks it and this means it will also drag gravel onto the track.
Old 2 Apr 2012, 13:50 (Ref:3052296)   #150
David Stallard
Racer

United Kingdom
Basildon, Essex, UK
David Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDavid Stallard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gutted I had to work on Sunday, even more so when I looked out the office window to see blue sky's and sunshine after nearly freezing to death on Saturday lol.

Still managed a 'few' shot's - feel free to take a look HERE Be warned though - they are mixed in with all the others of the day in order.

Few random shot's for you.

.DAVID.

You can sleep in a car BUT you can't race a house!!!