Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 8 Jun 2012, 18:22 (Ref:3087636)   #176
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
modes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me the shock was the Thurtle Camaro.... what a machine and pedalled well too. Whoever was in it at the time was within a few tenths of a second of the James' Marcos and John's MG best lap time. Wow! And round Brands Hatch too.

Having said that, Tom's Camaro wasn't far off the lap time as was the Shoesmith Camaro and the Searls Aston.
Old 8 Jun 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3087712)   #177
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what's the definition of a 'sports car' for the purpose of the rules then?

I mean, how does, say, an MGB V8 (assuming it's a GT) differ from something like a fastback Mustang or a Camaro, apart from the obvious - smaller, lighter, etc?
Old 8 Jun 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3087725)   #178
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that is up to Bernie. It's his series so he can call the shots
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 8 Jun 2012, 21:31 (Ref:3087731)   #179
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahhh, right... I see!

So it's an esoteric thing then, rather than any definite parameters?
Old 8 Jun 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3087742)   #180
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
Ahhh, right... I see!

So it's an esoteric thing then, rather than any definite parameters?
No idea - far too many big words in that question for me on a Friday night.

However, the main ethos is FUN so I don't think parameters come into it. Get yerself entered
Old 9 Jun 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3087794)   #181
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
However, the main ethos is FUN so I don't think parameters come into it. Get yerself entered
Well, that's what I'm hoping for Wayne!

With a bit of luck, I can do the Donington round in July if everything pans out. The car's in bits at the moment, but I'm hoping to be good to go in time for Anglesey with the CSCC - and if that goes OK, then I'll try for Donington with the V8's.

Fingers crossed! I must admit, I do like the idea of a grid full of V8's.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 08:02 (Ref:3087857)   #182
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Saloon and sports cars presumably as described in the Blue Book. In other words a saloon has a clearly defined area for seating four adults less than that its a sports car.
Old 9 Jun 2012, 12:13 (Ref:3087959)   #183
Moosehead
Veteran

I don't know whether Bernie is sticking to that Al. The way I took it was the Marcos, MGB, & Ferrari were in Bernies Sports car class as they are pretty modified. Running to BB descriptions would force the Vettes to be in there too - I think both Vettes at Brands were to FIA spec (ish)?

I'm sure Bernie will clarify at some point but honestly who really cares, there's always someone to race as demonstrated last time out
Old 9 Jun 2012, 14:42 (Ref:3088022)   #184
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Absolutely there is that alright!
Old 10 Jun 2012, 07:29 (Ref:3088337)   #185
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
For those who saw me in tears and banging my head on the floor unable to go out for the Brands 40 minute race, due to a broken valve spring......

At the track, we found two bits of the valve spring, collets etc loose under the rocker cover, but not all of the valve spring. Finally got chance to strip the top end down finding the final peice of valve spring harmlessly beneath the valley gasket, no harm done. The valve has merely rattled a bit on the top of the piston. I had got visions of an expensive rebuild but with a bit of luck should be ok now. Just as well it happened when I was warming the engine up so I could switch it off quick!

Getting car ready for Donington now.
Old 10 Jun 2012, 08:51 (Ref:3088356)   #186
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
A good result Modes! I may bring Bumble to Donny may give you more of a chance for revenge!
Old 10 Jun 2012, 12:08 (Ref:3088439)   #187
Moosehead
Veteran

Good to hear Modes
Old 11 Jun 2012, 06:39 (Ref:3088821)   #188
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice one modes, good job you heard it.
Old 11 Jun 2012, 16:06 (Ref:3089081)   #189
jamesjtucker
Rookie

England
Burntwood/Lichfield
jamesjtucker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
I don't know whether Bernie is sticking to that Al. The way I took it was the Marcos, MGB, & Ferrari were in Bernies Sports car class as they are pretty modified. Running to BB descriptions would force the Vettes to be in there too - I think both Vettes at Brands were to FIA spec (ish)?

I'm sure Bernie will clarify at some point but honestly who really cares, there's always someone to race as demonstrated last time out
I think we are still in Modifieds and the vettes are the one in Sports cars? They got given different colour stickers.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3090081)   #190
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
A good result Modes! I may bring Bumble to Donny may give you more of a chance for revenge!
Al
Will you get any chance to do some handling development on the yellow Camaro (Bumble?) before Donington? The yellow beast seemed to have plenty of get up and go at Snetterton but the handling seemed to vary. Couldn't understand why it was clearly quicker on the 300 Snetterton circuit on the first day's race, but then a real handful for you on the second day in the 40 minute race on the 200 Circuit, with far less corners.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 11:45 (Ref:3090087)   #191
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjtucker View Post
I think we are still in Modifieds and the vettes are the one in Sports cars? They got given different colour stickers.
So vettes got different stickers stuck to them? Funny, James, because at Brands I kept the same sticker but had a vette momentarily stuck to the back of my car! Hahahaha... Trying to remember your advice on keeping the glassfibre thin!
Old 13 Jun 2012, 12:50 (Ref:3090119)   #192
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by modes View Post
Al
Will you get any chance to do some handling development on the yellow Camaro (Bumble?) before Donington? The yellow beast seemed to have plenty of get up and go at Snetterton but the handling seemed to vary. Couldn't understand why it was clearly quicker on the 300 Snetterton circuit on the first day's race, but then a real handful for you on the second day in the 40 minute race on the 200 Circuit, with far less corners.
If its dry I will run her on Kumhos I have a set that have one more meeting on them and they are worth at least two seconds a lap (no kidding I did a back to back) over the very hard Dunlop Formula R's, I have adjusted the rear shockers back a bit to try to get a bit more rear end bite and I think I may wind off 1/2 degree of negative on the front to try to get fronts to bite better under braking and maybe a tad less on cornering to help eliminate the oversteer. I may also modify my driving style more like Cliffs and turn in earlier (or was it later lol) as several had remarked on that from the video. I was going to lighten it a bit more but need to work out a way to do it that is not terminal so I can still run her in Group 1 events. i may stick the front spoiler back on as we not that it will make a lot of difference. I like Donny in this car as the track flows well and suits it well, I put her 3rd on the grid once with some stiff opposition behind me and that wasnt on Kumhos as a Post Historic event. BTW at Snett I backed off in the 40 minute race because I was worried about the fuel range but when I drained the tank it still had 5 litres left so that will not be a concern now.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3090214)   #193
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does Bernie read this?

What are the regs on Rim width?

Is there a maximum(?), or can just about anything with a V8 come out and stick massive flared arches on and steam roller rubber on?

Not sure I get the Mid engined Fezza's, surely too modern, not even sure I'd class the Marcos's as historic (well not the late model V8's), they were race cars straight from the factory!!
Old 13 Jun 2012, 19:19 (Ref:3090332)   #194
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
If you turn up with big wide wheels and flairs the car is moved up to the modified class, the whole series is just a bit of fun and probably not for serious championship chasers who would probably be better doing something else if they are that worried about it, its also evolving and can as its a series not a championship and Bernie is open to suggestions and asked as much at Brands, if someone is running in a serious championship (and some are see the FIA cars) and they feel like a fun run out then its also for them, thats what its all about its not for guys who must win no matter what.

Also the rules state the car must orginally have been fitted with a V8 and that the original engine type so no stufffing huge V8's into cars that were never originally fitted with them.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 20:48 (Ref:3090377)   #195
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison View Post
Does Bernie read this?

What are the regs on Rim width?

Is there a maximum(?), or can just about anything with a V8 come out and stick massive flared arches on and steam roller rubber on?

Not sure I get the Mid engined Fezza's, surely too modern, not even sure I'd class the Marcos's as historic (well not the late model V8's), they were race cars straight from the factory!!
Jelly
The early Marcos's were V6 and so wouldn't be elegible and I think we all thought it really good the Ferrari came out with us at Brands. The series has a great atmosphere and I think that's its growing appeal.

And what is it with you and rim widths, anyway?
Old 14 Jun 2012, 07:37 (Ref:3090542)   #196
jamesjtucker
Rookie

England
Burntwood/Lichfield
Quote:
Jelly
The early Marcos's were V6 and so wouldn't be elegible and I think we all thought it really good the Ferrari came out with us at Brands.
The early Marcos's were 1.8s but they later moved to v6 and then the Rover V8. Mikes car was originally registered on the road with a V8 in it. But from what I've heard about the company, they would build what you liked as long as you were paying.
I think it was good to have a Ferrari out, gives the spectators a little more.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 08:26 (Ref:3090562)   #197
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Also the Ferrari was not overly quick and a better driver than me would have beaten it in my IROC but I messed it up a bit in the race, as it was I think I out qualified it. I have no probs with the Marcus or the Bee someone has to win and it aint gonna be me, as long as they continue to drive with care and respect to the slower cars being lapped then no problem.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3090920)   #198
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjtucker View Post
The early Marcos's were 1.8s but they later moved to v6 and then the Rover V8. Mikes car was originally registered on the road with a V8 in it. But from what I've heard about the company, they would build what you liked as long as you were paying.
I think it was good to have a Ferrari out, gives the spectators a little more.
James, Marcos were originally 1800cc Volvo engined, then moved to 1500cc Ford but only 290 made, then 1652cc Ford, then the more numerous V6......etc. (ps. I copied it from a book!)
Old 14 Jun 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3091040)   #199
jamesjtucker
Rookie

England
Burntwood/Lichfield
Quote:
James, Marcos were originally 1800cc Volvo engined, then moved to 1500cc Ford but only 290 made, then 1652cc Ford, then the more numerous V6......etc. (ps. I copied it from a book!)
Haha you have more knowledge than me!
Old 15 Jun 2012, 08:13 (Ref:3091294)   #200
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I watched the 40 minute incar last night and dont think it was that inspiring as I was poodling around trying to make fuel last so probably wont bother to Youtube it. I did have a nasty moment on the oil which is clear to see but not as bad as Tom's buttock clenching moment! Also caught the Marcus getting a bit out of shape as he bravely overtook me on the oil. If any interest I will post it up but is boring in places.