Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 13 Jan 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2370423)   #1
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MotoGP moves to Silverstone

Musical tracks! They lose they gain MotoGP. I have only been to Silverstone and was not impressed by the spectator viewing. Donington looks much better with its elevation changes and fast sweeping complexes.

Jeff

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72747
Old 13 Jan 2009, 09:07 (Ref:2370440)   #2
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the racing was ok in the 80s at Silverstone ..
here's 82 .. 79-84 also there
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXQ6bImI1fM

Ciao Marco
Old 13 Jan 2009, 09:31 (Ref:2370452)   #3
ford prefect
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
ford prefect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news, I'm going to go to my first MotoGP next year! Silverstone is so much better than Donington! The trackside facilities are far superior
Old 13 Jan 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2370453)   #4
gsyracer
Rookie

gsyracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends if they use the F1 circuit or use that stupid little thing that the BSB use.

Nice track and all, but would be interesting to see them go on the full circuit.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2370530)   #5
JohnnyFiama
Racer

JohnnyFiama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's wrong with the BSB circuit (except the tight little chicane at Woodcote)? The rest of the circuit is fine, great viewing going into the hairpin at Abbey.

MotoGP will use the full circuit. I can't imagine they'd use the tiny chicane so I guess they'll come up with a better solution or just not use it.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 12:31 (Ref:2370548)   #6
gsyracer
Rookie

gsyracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing's wrong with the BSB circuit, just it would be too small for MotoGP.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 17:08 (Ref:2370737)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great news, Silverstone deserves an event of this magnitude.
Old 13 Jan 2009, 17:30 (Ref:2370754)   #8
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The chicane enforced on the BSB series is uttterly atrocious, one of the worst corners in any ircuit ever, casues loads of accidents and never gets used by anyone else so very slippery!

If you thought the add on bit of Gerards at MAllory was bad, well !!

Was always going happen this, No way could DP have the two biggest motorsport events of the year!! Part of the whole deal I imagine!
Old 13 Jan 2009, 17:46 (Ref:2370764)   #9
deebrief
Rookie

England
Haddenham
deebrief should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motogp

The chicane should not be used. However a problem will be there if the bikes are allowed to come across the start line and down the striaght at full speed.
Unfortunatley there is a long kink and if the biker loses it, then he probably will travel towards the wall infront of the stands. Even with the air wall the impact would be enormous.
To be honest I do not know what the ideal solution will be, save that the GP circuit would need to be used.
Roll it out soon, i will be be there
Old 13 Jan 2009, 19:16 (Ref:2370817)   #10
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to be honest at the moment silverstone is a pretty poor bike circuit, too much tarmac run off, maybe they will change them to gravel.
I also think woodcote run off needs looking at, both for bikes and cars, a concrete wall meters away from a fast corner is not accepteable - which is why bikes use that stupid chicane!
Old 14 Jan 2009, 17:15 (Ref:2371432)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tarmac runoff is actually preferable for bikes to be honest, sliding along in leathers is far less painful on asphalt than on gravel where you can get bumped in the air by uneven bits and break bones.

Yes you might get a few burns, but preferable to impact always.

As for Woodcote, I dont the answer, airfence would surely stop major injury but at over 100 mph there, surely any impact is bad
Old 14 Jan 2009, 23:55 (Ref:2371698)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news, I dont know why but i've never really liked Donnington quite as much, probably because its not quite as fast and flowing as Silverstone. If they use the full GP circuit I think the racing will be fantastic, there could be a lot of overtaking coming onto the hanger straight. Other than FIA GT and the LMS Silverstone didnt really have any other major international series on its calender, to have Moto GP join the list is just what Silverstone needed.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 17:53 (Ref:2372148)   #13
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the two good bits about silverstone is the facilities are little better than doni and the road network is superior.

however, i have always found the circuit dull as dishwater and not the best circuit for a spectator.
Old 16 Jan 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2372536)   #14
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great pity for Donington, particularly as they have just re-built the pits in a way suited to m/c just for the MotoGP.

Jim
Old 18 Feb 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2399621)   #15
rotorboy
Rookie

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
rotorboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Details of the new Silverstone layout for Moto GP:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73337

They're using the GP loop, but cutting infield at Abbey to travel up Tower Straight then round a tight lefthander to be called The Arrowhead and up the National Straight to the complex. The chicane at Woodcote is not going to be used and there doesn't seem to be much detail about replacing tarmac runoff with gravel so Copse could be interesting. I like the look...
Old 18 Feb 2009, 14:12 (Ref:2399650)   #16
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are they trying to avoid the access bridge/tunnel for safety reasons?

That will be quite a long lap.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 16:44 (Ref:2399745)   #17
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I dont care a jot, it looks superb! AS long as they are not using that God Awful chicane I dont care what they do!!

Long lap is fine for GP bikes, might be tough on a 125 though!!
Old 18 Feb 2009, 18:12 (Ref:2399799)   #18
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, looks good. It'll be good to see the GP bikes there.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 07:39 (Ref:2400061)   #19
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
I dont care a jot, it looks superb! AS long as they are not using that God Awful chicane I dont care what they do!!

Long lap is fine for GP bikes, might be tough on a 125 though!!
they managed Assen .. i'm pretty sure they'll manage Silverstone

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Feb 2009, 13:02 (Ref:2400213)   #20
rotorboy
Rookie

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
rotorboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Are they trying to avoid the access bridge/tunnel for safety reasons?
You're right - I think they were concerned about the proximity of the bridge supports to the track, wouldn't be good for bikes. Can't wait for 2010...
Old 19 Feb 2009, 18:31 (Ref:2400350)   #21
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yet again Motorbike racing butchers another great spectator circuit.

The so called "arrowhead" turn seems ok, but a prime Grandstand viewing spot near Woodcote is turned into a Binocular fest because of extra run-off for bikes.

Its always the same, as soon as a circuit turns to bike racing then oceans of gravel appear overnight and it loses any intimacy with the spectator.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 18:43 (Ref:2400357)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Oh please

Donington's spectating was ruined for idiotic F1 promoters who were cacking it in case their bid for Brands Hatch as a GP didnt go through, extending the gravel traps and robbing fans of great viewing spots at Donington near Mcleans and Coppice

And for you car blinkered morons Silverstone has always been an awful circuit for viewing, whether its cars or bikes, Silverstone a great spectatot circuit!! Are they paying you!!

Even in the 70's you could hardly see much, its flat you see!!

And safety wise I think you will find cars need far more run off than bikes, most of the extra tarmac run off at Silverstone is for your beloved tractors and their annual "look at me at the races, next week I'm at Wimbledon" boreaganza.

Maybe you should go and watch rallying, there you can feel the stones hitting your face, dont yer know.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2400432)   #23
MG Racer
Rookie

England
Ipswich
MG Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
And for you car blinkered morons Silverstone has always been an awful circuit for viewing, whether its cars or bikes, Silverstone a great spectatot circuit!! Are they paying you!!
Couldn't agree with you more. Silverstone is awful for spectactors, awful for mere club racers. In fact the national circuit is quite possible the dullest circuit known to man.

BRDC deserve to have lost the F1 GP as they treat everyone with contempt. Club racers seem to be an inconvenience but then again it is an elitist old boys club.

I feel sorry for you bike fans, Donington is by far a better circuit for spectactors and riders alike im sure.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 23:31 (Ref:2400526)   #24
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMHO it looks like another case of sanitising a circuit in favour of safety.
Long straights with slow corners at the end
I would much prefer to see them go through Bridge and Priory.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 18:01 (Ref:2400971)   #25
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having read in todays Daily Telegraph that there are now 17 entries in Moto GP it makes you wonder if it worth Silverstone making any changes!!!